🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Has something changed with being able to edit...
Page options
wescowley
Community Member

Has something changed with being able to edit posts?

It may be that it's just late on a Friday night, but it seems like the option to edit posts is gone. I have some updates to the red flags post (I've already made them on the reddit version), and I can't find the edit button on the menu anymore. I thought maybe the post had passed some time limit on being editable, but I couldn't find the option on a comment I made an hour ago either.

Has the edit option gone away or moved? Or should I just go to bed and look again in the morning?

Edited to add: The edit option is right where I expect it on this post, but not on the red flags post or on a comment from an hour ago. 

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

Wes, I noticed that as well.

It is annoying. I hope it goes back to the way it was before.

I regularly correct typos in my posts when I see them, but now it is hit and miss whether or not I can edit older posts that I wrote.

Current limit is 60 minutes. Is there a limit that would be alright with everyone? 24 hours? 7 days? 30?

roberty1y
Community Member

Let's check it out and see.

ETA: It works on this post I just made, but not on ones I made days ago. They must have put in a cutoff point.

colettelewis
Community Member

Sigh - is this further micromanagement and restraining tactics by the community management? 

It's just a security best practice. Prevents bad actors from coming back and editing their posts weeks later into something else, which in almost all cases is with poor intent (Throwing their personal links into popular threads which increases their SEO.). Extremely easy for everyone to miss it especially when they bury the link by just linking a single word on their existing text.

As I mentioned elsewhere in here, we'll try to extend this for Gurus/etc so everyone won't be impacted the same!

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wes,

Thanks for bringing this up, Robert is right. We limited the editing functionality time-wise and will be monitoring Community feedback in this respect. If you'd like to make any edits to your earlier posts feel free to contact us via private messages and we'll be happy to help. The time-frame we selected should allow for any typos and similar changes to be made but we are open to considering extending the timeline.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir:

I appreciate the information you provided.

I regularly edit my own old posts in order to fix typos/spelling errors.

I am not going back to change the content or the flow of a thread.

I may notice an old post because somebody gives a kudo or because somebody adds a post to an older thread.

It is a welcome feature to be able to edit these old posts, clean them up a bit.

I can't send a private message to an Upwork employee to have then do that on my behalf. That can't be justified.

Instead, please have a configable setting for Forum users, which can be set by Forum moderators, allowing a user to edit all of their own old posts. Then set that setting for me, so there is no time limit on when I can edit old posts.

We'll check Monday if we can push Gurus into an extended / unlimited edit period. I actually told Vlad this morning we could, and now as I am writing this I am second guessing myself.

We'll find out Monday!

wescowley
Community Member

Thanks, Vlad. I just sent you a pm. I get that messages can be edited after the fact for malicious or disingenuous reasons, but I wonder if that really happens enough to warrant the restriction for everybody. In general, I don't have strong feelings about it, but in the case of that one post, I thinik it's helpful to update it occasionally with new information.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Spend a good two minutes trying to edit posts, until I realized I was trying to edit other people's posts. 

On my own, it seems to be gone too. I guess upwork wants to lock us into whatever was said. No room for errors. Quite strict, that is.

Maybe there's a pay-to-edit facility on the way.

Zing!

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm submitting this idea to the top of the pile!

roberty1y
Community Member

Oh no! 

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alright we updated the time to 24 hours for now. Turns out we don't have the ability to easily grant it to roles as I hoped, and instead it's a global setting. I'm still looking into how we may hack it to work for our needs!

wescowley
Community Member

Stan G wrote:

Alright we updated the time to 24 hours for now. Turns out we don't have the ability to easily grant it to roles as I hoped, and instead it's a global setting. I'm still looking into how we may hack it to work for our needs!

Stan, is there a way to unlock it for a given post? I'd like to add some updates to the red flags post.

Wes C wrote:

Stan, is there a way to unlock it for a given post? I'd like to add some updates to the red flags post.

Just to close that loop: Mike contacted me on a related topic and updated the post with my latest changes.

For a few reasons, that's probably the last update I'll make directly to the Upwork version of this post.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths