🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Help! I'm invisible!
Page options
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Help! I'm invisible!

My profile has been set to private! Me, a TR FL with a substantial milestone teed up and several active proposals. My most recent payment was on an hourly contract, less than three weeks ago, and I thought I'd be able to tip this milestone before 30 days elapsed. But no-oo-ooo, at midnight last night, the switch was thrown, and I realized the last day I actually logged billable hours was 30 days ago today. So here I am, languishing under the cloak of invisibility for up to 72 hours.

The email message notifying me that I'd been switched to private visibility contained a very prominent invitation to upgrade to the Plus plan. So prominent that it felt extortionary. I followed the bunny trail to the green button requesting to restore my visibility, and was automatically informed it will take up to 72 hours. That seems unreasonable and unnecessary to me. I can only assume their code has grown so byzantine that nobody has a clue how to streamline things like that.

7 REPLIES 7
versailles
Community Member

The way I understood it by reading between the lines is that when one FL requests their visibility to be restored, they look into the FLer's account for signs of disintermediation. Which in my own and modest opinion is the main reason why this private profiles thing happens in the first place.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

This has happened to me 2 or 3 times this year.  If it helps at all, it hasn't taken anything like 72 hours to switch me back.

Rene K wrote:

The way I understood it by reading between the lines is that when one FL requests their visibility to be restored, they look into the FLer's account for signs of disintermediation. Which in my own and modest opinion is the main reason why this private profiles thing happens in the first place.

I thought th emain reason it happens is to keep clients from having to search through reams of profiles set up by FLs who are either not sufficiently interested or not sufficiently capable to maintain activity.

Phyllis G wrote:

I thought th emain reason it happens is to keep clients from having to search through reams of profiles set up by FLs who are either not sufficiently interested or not sufficiently capable to maintain activity.

This is probably the second reason. They clearly stated that one of the reasons for this profile visibility thing is that people go PayPal with clients after a while and thus don't earn on the platform.

I do believe that they want to have a look at profiles who stick around and don't earn much. Since they can't check every single profile, I guess when you ask is when they have a chance to take a peek. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

It seems to me that people who consistently earn money - esp. those with a few on-going hourly clients where even a fool can quickly ascertain the regular consistency of same - should not be 'hidden' at all.

If U wants to generate more income - which is their role and reason for being - dump the incredibly stupid 3 FL invite limit.  Increase it to 10 > from a buyer's perspective that is reasonable and offers them a decent chance at finding a good partner.

And spare me the ludicrous tale of "for $50 a client can invite hundreds of FLers".  THAT is shooting yourself in the rear end. Big time.

Hi Phyllis, 

I'm sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience. I have set your profile's visibility back to publiic. If your profile's visibility is set again to private, you can contact us directly so that we can set it back to public for you.

Let me know if I can assist you further with anything.

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery O wrote:

Hi Phyllis, 

I'm sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience. I have set your profile's visibility back to publiic. If your profile's visibility is set again set to private, you can contact us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

Let me know if I can assist you further with anything.

Thank you, Avery!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths