🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Help from fluent French speakers pls
Page options
resultsassoc
Community Member

Help from fluent French speakers pls

Situation: Rural Louisiana Sheriff addressing young man doing community service for breaking and entering, who is helping law enforcement breach a cabin with four criminals inside. He is speaking Cajun Patois. Can you make out what he is saying from what I've written?

The Sheriff, a tall man, thin, wearing glasses too big for his head, grinned. He spoke in a lazy drawl that few people outside southwest Louisiana could understand. “Thassa way you ici, sogn. Now, a day new break and entrée.”

Thx.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually it sounds more like Creole French, which was also spoken in Louisiana.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
versailles
Community Member

@Bill H wrote:

He spoke in a lazy drawl that few people outside southwest Louisiana could understand.

It's not only the drawl. It's the whole dialect that nobody outside the Cajun community can understand.

Me, I can't understand what you wrote.

Off to Youtube to watch some Cajun... 🙂

-----------

Bill, I'm putting my Haw'n pidgin to the test here but "Thassa way you ici, sogn. Now, a day new break and entrée.” translates to "That's the way you (get /go) here, son.  It's a new day so enjoy it"

I think Wendy nailed it.  Lived in LA for 30 years and spent a good bit of time out in the bayous.

It's worth noting that "Cajun French" has not developed or changed over the years, so is more like 18th century Nova Scotia French than modern.

Doesn't look much like 18th century French to me - at least, not metropolitan French! 😉

Actually it sounds more like Creole French, which was also spoken in Louisiana.

-----------

You are absolutely correct. I intended Creole, and wrote Cajun. Ir's been fixed, the wording changed slightly, and a translation given by another character.

What woulda French speaker be saying, that an American heard "A day new?"

@Bill H wrote:

What woulda French speaker be saying, that an American heard "A day new?"

A day new pronounced with a standard American accent may sound, more or less, as "Aidez nous" (help us) in a French spoken with an American accent.

-----------

A day new? Maybe: aidez-nous (to do something.. )

Latest Articles
Learning Paths