🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Here's how to get the full attention of y...
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Here's how to get the full attention of your freelancer.

Howdy.  John here.  Freelancer, one side.  Hiring client, another.  I can see from both perspectives is the message.  Just for frame of reference.

Here's a tactic I use on the hiring side.  I guarantees I have the freelancer's full attention.

Prior to starting the work, I arrange a video conference call.  I happen to use Zoom. The Upwork facility works fine.   In that call, I specifically cover the end of project step to zip the project up -- provide ratings -- and make sure my contractor is taken care of.

I explain that I understand the JSS rating is the most important business asset they have.  I explain that I do not quibble over hiccups here-or-there.  If they screw up, they will hear about it in person, not on the JSS.  Their JSS will be protected.

With 100% probability, this takes a ton of worry off the freelancer's mind.  Their spirit of thankfullness wells up.  And they will, amazingly, try even harder to please.

Counsel provided.  Set up a video conf call before the work starts.  Talk the freelancer through their JSS worries.  Gain their trust, gain their loyalty, gain the best results.

53 REPLIES 53
vstuart
Community Member

Thank you, oh Guru of BAD ADVICE! I can honestly tell you, if a client addressed the JSS score before the project (or how to they would "protect" it) there'd be extremely painful clanging bells going off in my head (and I would hope they would think the same thing should a freelancer address it!). Way to start off a great relationship / contract - with "unspoken" distrust and "sugar coated" I know I can damage you - but I won't... I go in expecting NOT to be damaged because I trust that I can make the client happy - if they ever addressed this like you are stating I would run in the opposite direction. Manipulation is a no no, I'm pretty sure you're aware, do you seriously not see it that way? Frightening.  

lysis10
Community Member

Valerie S wrote:

Thank you, oh Guru of BAD ADVICE! I can honestly tell you, if a client addressed the JSS score before the project (or how to they would "protect" it) there'd be extremely painful clanging bells going off in my head (and I would hope they would think the same thing should a freelancer address it!). Way to start off a great relationship / contract - with "unspoken" distrust and "sugar coated" I know I can damage you - but I won't... I go in expecting NOT to be damaged because I trust that I can make the client happy - if they ever addressed this like you are stating I would run in the opposite direction. Manipulation is a no no, I'm pretty sure you're aware, do you seriously not see it that way? Frightening.  

This. This right here. "I can totally destroy your JSS, but I won't. Cuddles!" lol

Communicate with them, at least 2x to 3x a week, by video conference call.

oof, I advise freelancers to have a pontification upcharge on this one. Like you know this dude gets you on the phone to talk about his little boat in the Keys and his freelancer life. If he wants to do this, I suggest hourly and let him pontificate about his greatness while you sit back and charge him lol

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Communicate with them, at least 2x to 3x a week, by video conference call.  It seems like some big time overhead?  It is 10 minutes in a day, 3 days in a week.   Ask them how they feel about their work so far.  What you can do to help them be more productive.  What problems do they have.  What successes do they feel they have achieved.

Now, some freelancers will prefer to operate in the darkness and under the covers.  If that is what they prefer, they will let you know.  Most do not.  Most freelancers simply want a human connection of some sort.  They want to be realized as human contributors to your success. 

Feed their needs and they will feed your delivery bucket.

John B wrote:

Ridiculous.

John B wrote:

If that is what they prefer, they will let you know.  .

Yup. Any self-respecting adult professional will fire micro-managing helicopter clients who clearly haven't a clue the second they try such nonsensical stunts.

Petra R wrote:

John B wrote:

Ridiculous.

John B wrote:

If that is what they prefer, they will let you know.  .

Yup. Any self-respecting adult professional will fire micro-managing helicopter clients who clearly haven't a clue the second they try such nonsensical stunts.

Yes, 100% agree. I realise that responding to the OP is like talking to a wall, but in case any clients are actually considering taking this terrible advice, allow me to strongly present a more rational point of view. There's no way that I want all of my clients video calling to check up on me three times per week, and if a client did that to me, I would never work with them again. With anywhere from 3-6 projects on the go at any given time, that would mean I'd have to arrange 9-18 meetings per week, along with loads of back and forth to find times that would work for people in multiple time zones around the world; it would leave me with hardly any availability to actually work!

Video conferences are useful at the beginning of a project, or at points duing a longer, complex project where discussions to establish direction are required. But the only type of freelancers who would tolerate (let alone appreciate) 3-times-weekly video calls are either so inexperienced that they require constant hand-holding, or are so lonely that they're desperate for anyone to talk to.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Fixed fee contract goes up.  We place up a budget that is probably (a) our expectation of cost and/or (b) our desired budget.

Then we get nn responses with freelancers who, seemingly, picked some budget number from here-or-there.  What to do with this information?

Don't act upon it.  They are guessing or using some pat answer.  It is meaningless data and a bit of a shame they'd guess but that is how it is in freelancer-land.   In your interviews, indicate they do not have enough information to scope correctly, you'll start with that, then provide them with a scoping information document.  Tangible data, real facts on delivery needs -- a guidepost.  Then ask your top three or whatever to reform their budget based on specific knowledge and return with their number.

The point in freelancer-land is not to get the best price. The point is to get a fair price, have the freelancers head in the game, feel comfortable, and be motivated in spirited ways to fulfill their end of the bargain.  Use a scoping document in your first call, then ask them to reformulate their number.

Then you have data that is reliable and a number they can be held to, because it is their number.  Not yours.

John B wrote:

Fixed fee contract goes up.  We place up a budget that is probably (a) our expectation of cost and/or (b) our desired budget.

Then we get nn responses with freelancers who, seemingly, picked some budget number from here-or-there.  What to do with this information?

Don't act upon it.  They are guessing or using some pat answer.  It is meaningless data and a bit of a shame they'd guess but that is how it is in freelancer-land.   In your interviews, indicate they do not have enough information to scope correctly, you'll start with that, then provide them with a scoping information document.  Tangible data, real facts on delivery needs -- a guidepost.  Then ask your top three or whatever to reform their budget based on specific knowledge and return with their number.

The point in freelancer-land is not to get the best price. The point is to get a fair price, have the freelancers head in the game, feel comfortable, and be motivated in spirited ways to fulfill their end of the bargain.  Use a scoping document in your first call, then ask them to reformulate their number.

Then you have data that is reliable and a number they can be held to, because it is their number.  Not yours.

Here is how it works in my freelancer land; I am always happy to negotiate and "reformulate my number" upwards by a significant margin should a prospective client suggest that I had "picked some budget number from here-or-there". 

Who *are* you? Is that how you believe human beings talk? I'm betting you use the meaningless "pat" questions Upwork offers up to clients to make their project description seem more "professional" or complete.

I am a freelancer because I like to work in my pajamas and wear baseball hats. I choose a budget for a project not based on some pie-in-the-sky number suggested by a "client" who may never have hired a freelancer before but based on my 20+ years of experience in my field. I also nudge the number up if said client wants to have a video call. If a client wants 2 or 3 video calls per week, I immediately become too busy to accept the project. Mention JSS and I will go running for the hills.

Who am I?  Fair enough. You asked the question.  I deserve to respond.

To answer your question.  I am a 58-year-old freelance professional who does this work because I made a lot of money in my 30s, as a consultant, building a company. Now I can work in freelancer-land, live to the standards I deem appropriate, and not worry about billings.

To answer your question.  I am a highly trained professional consultant capable of running seven-figure projects staffed with forty or more jr consultants in the $70k a year or more income profile.

To answer your question.  I have a longevity in freelancer-land of more than nine years now, as I inhabited eLance before Upwork, which I started in 2013 as memory serves. My profile is available should you want to self-answer your question.

So that is who I am.  These are not merely wanderings of a disorganized mind. I come out here to provide pointed advice, am willing to withstand the always-negative comments.  Stand back in sheer wonder no one can contribute back simple responses, like "well, in my experience, I did this, it worked, here's why".  I stand back in sheer wonder people cannot show up with a story about their most recent glorious win, what they feel they are doing right, why the won, why they feel it is right.

In net, I am a Big Four-style constant blessed with and stranded in freelancer-land. The blessing part is the client and hiring side.  The stranded part is the Forum. My culture clashes, not the first time, not the last time, probably every time and that is how it is.

I have to depart now.  Work calls.  Thanks for asking who I was.  Now you know in spades.

John B wrote:

So, TL;dr: Client puts up a project asking for a fixed price, then scolds freelancers for GIVING him a fixed price, because HE (the client) didn't provide sufficient details to enable an accurate quote in the first place.

I would certainly be motivated - in a spirited way - to end the discussions right there. 

Christine A wrote:

John B wrote:

So, TL;dr: Client puts up a project asking for a fixed price, then scolds freelancers for GIVING him a fixed price, because HE (the client) didn't provide sufficient details to enable an accurate quote in the first place.

I would certainly be motivated - in a spirited way - to end the discussions right there. 

jeeez, Christine, all the things you do wrong will be covered in the 3x video calls. For real though, I've had a client like the OP and he paid me $600 to talk down to me and pontificate. On the one hand, it was really annoying but on the other hand I made $600 by just rolling my eyes as this guy spoke down to me explaining to me all the things I do wrong and how he is a really really smart guy with a computer science degree. 

There are two sides to manage here.  I was speaking of a tactic to use with clients who are obviously low-balling a price.  Bid back the $5 or $50 or whatever scenario applies the engage the tactic.

Some fixed fee projects may seem 'in the right range'.  For scenarios like this, it is useful to bid in a price. I provide this as the accompanying language:

"The job scope you have defined may not provide all the information I need to scope this correctly.  I have placed in my estimate as true-and-real with the information I have.  However, there may be as much a chance I have over-bid as I have under-bid.  I recommend as a first step. In our first video conference call -  I will ask specific questions that are assured to enable me to determine more of the parameters of delivery.  Then I will refine my bid accordingly. Once that is set, we stick to it, without question."

If that runs a hiring client off, I have perhaps saved myself a 4.0.  The counsel is not intended to assist contractors who are in 'win work at all costs'.  This counsel is reserved for contractors who can be relatively selective in bidding work and have the work stream luxury of engaging in a scoping step prior to clicking the [Accept Job] button.

I get scolded for writing too-long or not-brief-enough pieces.  One reason I write more are circumstances such as this.  There are many facets to the tactic.

Discussion, now provided.

versailles
Community Member

Kudos to the OP for posting the exact opposite of what a serious client should do. Especially micromanaging and mentioning the JSS. 

Freelancers confronted to that kind of clients know they may end up in trouble. OR at least in a PITA work relationship.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Have you tried - once - to use the tactic.  I have tried both sides of it.  Not mentioning the JSS and working the client through a professional, conservative discussion of the JSS.   I am wary of opinions of tactics that have never been tried at least one time.  There may be guessing involved.

John B wrote:

Have you tried - once - to use the tactic.  I have tried both sides of it.  Not mentioning the JSS and working the client through a professional, conservative discussion of the JSS.   I am wary of opinions of tactics that have never been tried at least one time.  There may be guessing involved.

I've managed to maintain my 100% JSS without resorting to guilt-tripping my clients or dictating what they should write. I'm guessing that simply doing good work and providing good customer service hasn't worked out so well for you, otherwise there would have been no need to develop these "tactics" in the first place.

astepanov83
Community Member

I like you, John. Really. For your English writing style. I really hope you don't speak so. Otherwise non-fluent freelancers are in a big trouble. But I learn when I read your posts. I ignore the meaning though.

Aleksandr S wrote:

I like you, John. Really. For your English writing style. I really hope you don't speak so. Otherwise non-fluent freelancers are in a big trouble. But I learn when I read your posts. I ignore the meaning though.

I don't recommend greeting all your US clients with "howdy". It is quite uncommon to do so in the business world, but might give you interesting results. 

Martina P wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

I don't recommend greeting all your US clients with "howdy". It is quite uncommon to do so in the business world, but might give you interesting results. 

I didn't mean to talk like this. But thanks for the info anyway.

Thank you for the kind words. They are uplifting. 

I work with newcomers and at times they are not fluent in business-grade English.  I try to "elevate" not "ratchet down".   I suggested strongly to my 2019 mentee, he do what is necessary to gain spoken fluency in English.  From that point, he signed himself up for English speaking classes, and, for a period of eight weeks, attended these classes for three hours a night, four nights a week. The work came at hardship to his personal life.  I admired his effort.

In his most recent three engagements associated with my delivery stream, this mentee had 1:1 business communication calls with the executive-level project sponsors of his project.  Two were literally c-level executives.  His spoken English shone through and had he not taken the path he did, he would continue to be stranded as a behind-the-scenes contractor.

I take to heart your dialogs.  I will watch closely to make sure I communicate at reasonable levels with my mentees, as they are all ESL and that is a hard starting point.

As I consistently correct their English in real-time - at times not particularly gently so - I remind them. I speak only one language.  Meaning.  With some effort, they can become better than me. They can speak two languages... fluently... if they make the effort.

Have a nice day!

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

It would be valuable to keep in mind that I adopt a newcomer once a year.   We are now five months into my three year of this tradition.  I pick newcomers who are ESL, live in places like Nigeria and India, and bring them carefully into my fold.  Whereupon I invest what is probably 100 hours of personal training, often delivered through co-staff projects.   For my 2018, 2019, and 2020 mentees:

- All three have achieved exceptional results,

- Moved up from JSSs in the 60s and 70s into the 90s to 100.

- They have all become dominant in their category

- And increased their billing rate 4x to 5x

What I explain and relate is information directly taken from my mentorship efforts.  It has proven out, three-for-three, over the the toughest of developmental patterns for mentees, and over a period of 2-1/2 years.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I don't find it all that valuable to "keep in mind" that you've had some degree of success with three freelancers, all of whom started out in a terrible position at absymal rates and at least one of whom you have (please correct me if I'm wrong--basing this on prior comments) you have "helped" to increase JSS by hiring and giving good ratings.

I'm curious about where you get the idea that I have "engaged in no development activity with newcomers" simply because I don't rush to the forums to pat myself on the back over it every few days. Possibly you can't imagine doing something for any reason other than to give yourself public accolades? I've been mentoring new freelancers--mostly writers, but not exclusively--for a couple of decades. I do this to varying degrees based on their individual needs rather than spouting a "system" as if there's a one-size-fits-all way to freelance, and have worked with several dozen over the years. 

Thanks for assuming, though--it demonstrates something important.

As Jennifer pointed out, I was off the forum for a better part of 1-1/2 to two months.  I attend our daily frays only when I am not booked with business.  Booked with business, meanig I do not have enough time to do forum-related work, is a usual state of affairs.   Apologies.  But my usual state of affairs re-engages Monday, after an 8 day stay in the forum sandbox.  Guess some of us get so busy we only get to visit now-and-then.

"forum-related work" -- ?  

Has been hired as a Moderator?

Of course not.  My word choices are not designed to be precise. Nor is my writing.   I am composing thoughts in real-time, typing at 110 wpm and stream of consciousness is not edited. They are, by average 3:1 or 5:1 longer than the snippet responses 90% common here.  Lots of communication transfer bandwidth.

But, yes.  "Forum related" work happens to be a correct term as I think about it.  Sub-conscious perspectives took over.  I don't come out here to play or assuage my disappointments. Obviously. In fact, I seem to be the only one who is out here expressing happiness, good news, sharing victories, though that is scarecly appreciated.  Sad about that, but not enough to stop.

Forum-related "work":

I consider mentorship, leadership, guidance, skill-sharing, and skill-building to be work.  Mostly because that is what happens in Big Four-class consultancies - my home base experience -  and the leaders are required mentor.  Teach. Share tactics and techniques.

They are also paid to do it.  So yes, in my frame of reference, writing work out here that hopefully - I suspect it will - help some newcomers and others, is "work" to me.

I do this out here now, from time-to-time, because giants in their industry mentored me and would expect me to pass on the wealth.

Lovely having some time for concepts, tactics, approaches, processes information transfer.  A healthy amount of kicking sand about in the sandbox. That one is always guaranteed.

Gotta run.  Five-week sprint in projects and I share only so much within boundaries.

Duty and pleasure calls. Good night.  See you in June or whatever.

John B wrote:

Guess some of us get so busy we only get to visit now-and-then.

I'm sure most of us can sympathize with that. Most of those of us you think you're in "frays" with have reached the point in our careers where we don't have to work full time and spend little or no time cultivating new clients, but I am sure we all remember the days when we had to put in long hours to build our businesses.

If you will notice.  Aside from the lovely prose.  Not a single person responded with on-topic responses to provide information.

This is a fabulous example of me posting a piece of thought capital - brief - with opinions.  No attacks made on anyone.

And all it engenders is attacks.  Starting with someone actually correcting my English.  You most prominently.  Look inward and consider why.  Consider why you could not start a piece with "In my experience, here is what I do, here is the value why, and here is why I recommend it".

Shame on you. The only difference here is that I have the verbal skills necessary to not "take it lying down".  As a reminder: send a shot over my bow. I return two.

Maybe next month, when I put up a piece consider being less antagonistic and join the fun of sharing experiences, successes, ways you do things, and avoid "well don't do that it is a terrible idea!".

Just, you know.  Try to get along.  Then I will too.

John, as usual, no one knows who you mean when you say something like "you, especially" because you steadfastly refuse to either use the quote feature or address the person you're speaking to by name. 

I know it wasn't me because I didn't say anything about your grammar. No matter. I'm confident that I speak for everyone here when I say that no matter how many allusions you make to how we've all learned our lessons and will be properly fearful of crossing you in the future, we haven't noticed whatever big intimidating thing you think you've done to scare us into our places. 

As for the rest, most of the long-time forum participants who are successful freelancers have seen the harm that comes to newcomers when they get taken in by someone with more confidence than good advice, and we don't like to see it happen. We're never going to sit quietly by for what we see as harmful to newer freelancers in the name of playing nice. 

I know you like to feel like this is personal, but we've all seen the people you think you're in frays with in frays, and you're barely getting their attention. The disputes of what we see as bad information that's harmful to others will continue, since helping newer freelancers is the sole reason most of us visit these forums.

Tiffany S wrote:

John, as usual, no one knows who you mean when you say something like "you, especially" because you steadfastly refuse to either use the quote feature or address the person you're speaking to by name. 

I know it wasn't me because I didn't say anything about your grammar. No matter. I'm confident that I speak for everyone here when I say that no matter how many allusions you make to how we've all learned our lessons and will be properly fearful of crossing you in the future, we haven't noticed whatever big intimidating thing you think you've done to scare us into our places. 

As for the rest, most of the long-time forum participants who are successful freelancers have seen the harm that comes to newcomers when they get taken in by someone with more confidence than good advice, and we don't like to see it happen. We're never going to sit quietly by for what we see as harmful to newer freelancers in the name of playing nice. 

I know you like to feel like this is personal, but we've all seen the people you think you're in frays with in frays, and you're barely getting their attention. The disputes of what we see as bad information that's harmful to others will continue, since helping newer freelancers is the sole reason most of us visit these forums.

The only good that has come out of this is my increase in admiration for Janean's and your writing styles, and my goal to one day write as witty and pithy responses as you. I consider myself quite successful in my field, but we all have our role models. 🙂 

Hi all,

This thread has been closed for further replies. I would like to ask everyone to please be mindful of the Community Guidelines.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

John B wrote:

...avoid "well don't do that it is a terrible idea!".

I look forward to the opportunity, should it ever present itself.

jmlaidlaw
Community Member

À propos of not much at all, but given that this thread has made me think of offering good advice for freelancers, based on my own experience...

Early on in my career, I found that I was making the following mistakes, and I urge freelancers to avoid this constellation of errors:

Early on, I had a tendency to veil a rather smug, self-satisfied message in a light-hearted tone that I thought would fool clients and colleagues alike. I assumed that a use of polysyllabic words and complex phrasing would convince my interlocutors of my intellectual superiority and of the value of my content. Indeed, I rather thought of myself as a glib Oscar Wilde type, throwing off bon mots (actually, should be "mots bons," if one is showing off) with a light verbal touch, but to devastating effect. I considered my writing style to be quite clever, rather than heavy-handed and tedious. I might even have flattered myself by allowing myself to go where others [now] tread, on the theory that I would keenly and mortally wound my imagined "opponents" by means of my lightning rapier strokes, along the lines of: "Guess you won't mess with me any more, you foul ruffians who have now been squarely put into your tiny places!"

As a corollary to my former style -- one that combined nearly incomprehensible thickets of prose with overweening arrogance -- I assumed that everyone looked to me as an expert on whatever I chose to pontificate upon. I had declared myself to be an expert, and thus I surely was one! And I demonstrated my excellence with each exquisite written offering I produced for the almost-deserving masses. Sure, a few hoi and several polloi disdained my brilliance, but that was no matter. No one could touch me for experience, skills, and just all-around know-it-all-ness. And any complaints about my unnecessarily complicated style clearly emanated from those who were just too danged stupid to understand my rhetorical flourishes. It is, after all, not the job of the WRITER to make his or her words understandable to the reader. If readers could not parse my sentences, that was THEIR problem, not MINE! Do schools no longer teach sentence diagramming?

I constantly congratulated myself on the Good Deeds I was doing, by sharing my knowledge with others -- the Great Unwashed, who invariably understood less of the world than I. (Until, that is, I shared with those benighted individuals my knowledge and insights.)

However... That was all early in my career.

Let me leave out the middle part of my career. Let us simply refer to that part as "Chapters 21 through 43, in Which Our Heroine Encounters Reality and Has Some Actual Sense Knocked Into Her Ego-Riddled and Obnoxious Noggin."

My advice now, to all freelancers (and clients may also take this for what it is worth), is this:  Do NOT behave as I have described myself doing.

Just. Don't.

I was insufferable.

Janean L wrote:

À propos of not much at all, but given that this thread has made me think of offering good advice for freelancers, based on my own experience...

Early on in my career, I found that I was making the following mistakes, and I urge freelancers to avoid this constellation of errors:

Early on, I had a tendency to veil a rather smug, self-satisfied message in a light-hearted tone that I thought would fool clients and colleagues alike. I assumed that a use of polysyllabic words and complex phrasing would convince my interlocutors of my intellectual superiority and of the value of my content. Indeed, I rather thought of myself as a glib Oscar Wilde type, throwing off bon mots (actually, should be "mots bons," if one is showing off) with a light verbal touch, but to devastating effect. I considered my writing style to be quite clever, rather than heavy-handed and tedious. I might even have flattered myself by allowing myself to go where others [now] tread, on the theory that I would keenly and mortally wound my imagined "opponents" by means of my lightning rapier strokes, along the lines of: "Guess you won't mess with me any more, you foul ruffians who have now been squarely put into your tiny places!"

As a corollary to my former style -- one that combined nearly incomprehensible thickets of prose with overweening arrogance -- I assumed that everyone looked to me as an expert on whatever I chose to pontificate upon. I had declared myself to be an expert, and thus I surely was one! And I demonstrated my excellence with each exquisite written offering I produced for the almost-deserving masses. Sure, a few hoi and several polloi disdained my brilliance, but that was no matter. No one could touch me for experience, skills, and just all-around know-it-all-ness. And any complaints about my unnecessarily complicated style clearly emanated from those who were just too danged stupid to understand my rhetorical flourishes. It is, after all, not the job of the WRITER to make his or her words understandable to the reader. If readers could not parse my sentences, that was THEIR problem, not MINE! Do schools no longer teach sentence diagramming?

I constantly congratulated myself on the Good Deeds I was doing, by sharing my knowledge with others -- the Great Unwashed, who invariably understood less of the world than I. (Until, that is, I shared with those benighted individuals my knowledge and insights.)

However... That was all early in my career.

Let me leave out the middle part of my career. Let us simply refer to that part as "Chapters 21 through 43, in Which Our Heroine Encounters Reality and Has Some Actual Sense Knocked Into Her Ego-Riddled and Obnoxious Noggin."

My advice now, to all freelancers (and clients may also take this for what it is worth), is this:  Do NOT behave as I have described myself doing.

Just. Don't.

I was insufferable.

Now THAT was a master class in writing, ladies and gentlemen!

I hope that you will even accept a compliment from someone who is both a hoi and a polloi. We're not worthy. 😉

Awww, shucks, Christine -- you greatly overstate the case (re "masterclass.")  But I thank you wholeheartedly, nonetheless!

Janean L wrote:

Awww, shucks, Christine -- you greatly overstate the case (re "masterclass.")  But I thank you wholeheartedly, nonetheless!

I must agree with Christine. However, I fear the message contained in this confession will be totally lost and/or wasted on its intended recipient. Then again, some mentees might pay proper attention to its message, which is perhaps the best any of us could hope for.  

Janean L wrote:

Not one bit, my friend, not one bit!

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

As a hiring client who works almost exclusively with newcomers - here are some recommendations to consider in your work with your newcomer.

Consider them to be in as much a learning mode as you are (in developing the relationship and figuring out 'how to work together'.)

- Freelance work delivery is a specialization that can take years to master.  One must usually deliver many projects and make a few mistakes to figure out best practices. 

Put the newcomer into a delivery "box".  This is a term used in professional consulting, and not meant to be diminishing.  A delivery box is a tightly sealed set of requirements, work requests, and deliverables.

- I recommend a scoping document of one-half to one page, which is check-box style. 

- Then, when the newcomer has hit their marks, delivery is practically guaranteed to be judged a success

Free up time a couple times a week to communicate with your newcomer.  Project owner to project delivery resource connectivity is a top three project success factor.

- Upwork provides a video conference facility.  Be proactive, schedule the meetings from your end, and work from the delivery definition worksheet.

Realize that newcomers may experience a state of darn-near-fear.  They are trying to gain the scores necessary to become a rising talent and, later, a top contractor. This process literally impacts their ability to win work and create revenue for themselves.

- Each of their project scores are vital to them.  The concern applied to what score they will receive may not be stated.  It will be felt.

- Speak to them about the JSS score and that you understand it is important to them.

These will help you get the best out of your newcomer - and, for that matter - all freelancers you engage.

On-topic comments are encouraged.

John.

John B wrote:

- Speak to them about the JSS score and that you understand it is important to them.

People, do not follow this "advice" with a professional freelancer or even with someone who is a total newbie!

Just don't. First, JSS manipulation, which is what this can lead to, is not allowed by the TOS of this platform. It may have your account closed. Second, showing your freelancers that you have their JSS in your hands, which is basically what OP is suggesting, is an ugly management strategy. Very ugly. Actually do not patronize them or they will slam the door on you.

You will find actual useful hiring tips here: Hiring Resources.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

“Consider them to be in as much a learning mode as you are (in developing the relationship and figuring out 'how to work together'.)
“- Freelance work delivery is a specialization that can take years to master. One must usually deliver many projects and make a few mistakes to figure out best practices.”

Nope. You want a freelancer who enters this business model as an ace deliverer of the services you need. Why else are you here? If a freelancer can’t deliver quality work on time, you’re wasting your money; if you have to handhold and teach them how to run their business, you’re wasting your time (= money).

My learning curve, long and painful as it may have been, is none of your business, let alone your responsibility.

John B wrote:

As a hiring client who works almost exclusively with newcomers - here are some recommendations to consider in your work with your newcomer.

Consider them to be in as much a learning mode as you are (in developing the relationship and figuring out 'how to work together'.)

- Freelance work delivery is a specialization that can take years to master.  One must usually deliver many projects and make a few mistakes to figure out best practices. 

Put the newcomer into a delivery "box".  This is a term used in professional consulting, and not meant to be diminishing.  A delivery box is a tightly sealed set of requirements, work requests, and deliverables.

- I recommend a scoping document of one-half to one page, which is check-box style. 

- Then, when the newcomer has hit their marks, delivery is practically guaranteed to be judged a success

Free up time a couple times a week to communicate with your newcomer.  Project owner to project delivery resource connectivity is a top three project success factor.

- Upwork provides a video conference facility.  Be proactive, schedule the meetings from your end, and work from the delivery definition worksheet.

Realize that newcomers may experience a state of darn-near-fear.  They are trying to gain the scores necessary to become a rising talent and, later, a top contractor. This process literally impacts their ability to win work and create revenue for themselves.

- Each of their project scores are vital to them.  The concern applied to what score they will receive may not be stated.  It will be felt.

These will help you get the best out of your newcomer - and, for that matter - all freelancers you engage.

On-topic comments are encouraged.

John.

Or just work with an experienced freelancer and pay a little more. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths