🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Challenge to the Forum regulars, as I dep...
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Here's how to get the full attention of your freelancer.

Howdy.  John here.  Freelancer, one side.  Hiring client, another.  I can see from both perspectives is the message.  Just for frame of reference.

Here's a tactic I use on the hiring side.  I guarantees I have the freelancer's full attention.

Prior to starting the work, I arrange a video conference call.  I happen to use Zoom. The Upwork facility works fine.   In that call, I specifically cover the end of project step to zip the project up -- provide ratings -- and make sure my contractor is taken care of.

I explain that I understand the JSS rating is the most important business asset they have.  I explain that I do not quibble over hiccups here-or-there.  If they screw up, they will hear about it in person, not on the JSS.  Their JSS will be protected.

With 100% probability, this takes a ton of worry off the freelancer's mind.  Their spirit of thankfullness wells up.  And they will, amazingly, try even harder to please.

Counsel provided.  Set up a video conf call before the work starts.  Talk the freelancer through their JSS worries.  Gain their trust, gain their loyalty, gain the best results.

53 REPLIES 53

John B wrote:

As a hiring client who works almost exclusively with newcomers - here are some recommendations to consider in your work with your newcomer.

Consider them to be in as much a learning mode as you are (in developing the relationship and figuring out 'how to work together'.)

- Freelance work delivery is a specialization that can take years to master.  One must usually deliver many projects and make a few mistakes to figure out best practices. 

Put the newcomer into a delivery "box".  This is a term used in professional consulting, and not meant to be diminishing.  A delivery box is a tightly sealed set of requirements, work requests, and deliverables.

- I recommend a scoping document of one-half to one page, which is check-box style. 

- Then, when the newcomer has hit their marks, delivery is practically guaranteed to be judged a success

Free up time a couple times a week to communicate with your newcomer.  Project owner to project delivery resource connectivity is a top three project success factor.

- Upwork provides a video conference facility.  Be proactive, schedule the meetings from your end, and work from the delivery definition worksheet.

Realize that newcomers may experience a state of darn-near-fear.  They are trying to gain the scores necessary to become a rising talent and, later, a top contractor. This process literally impacts their ability to win work and create revenue for themselves.

- Each of their project scores are vital to them.  The concern applied to what score they will receive may not be stated.  It will be felt.

- Speak to them about the JSS score and that you understand it is important to them.

These will help you get the best out of your newcomer - and, for that matter - all freelancers you engage.

On-topic comments are encouraged.

John.

If, when I started Upwork (as a freelancer, I was already a few years old), I had come across such an overwhelming, aggressive, manipulative and self-satisfied client, I think I would have started running.
Please, if a new client appears here, PLEASE DO NOT UDE THESE TIPS: YOU MAY LOSE A GOOD FREELANCER.

I think you lost me at the title. If you honestly believe you need to rely on "tactics" for dealing with any professional relationship, you should give yourself a shake**Edited for Community Guidelines**

For anyone new to the forum, the title "Community Guru" isn't an indication of anything beyond the number of posts a particular individual has made. The advice given here is the advice of an individual who freelances on the platform, and its not information that UpWork supports or endorses.

People who work for Upwork are normally reconizable by the Upwork logo next to their names.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.25.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.25.40 AM.png

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Well, two projects have ended in one week. That is rare.  Both are multi-month efforts.  I know the names of my client's spouses -- heard continuous thanks for my work -- and am assured of 5-0s with glowing remarks. That is fact, not bragging.

I scheduled my end-of-project calls to close the work down and review project delivery.  I want these two clients to have every potential in the world to outline areas where I might have delivered better. Speak to what is on their heart.  Perhaps relive some of the moments of glorious co-achievement and perhaps some of the days of tears when not everything was absolutely perfect.

Then I will remind them my JSS is an important asset to me and one of my mentees, who is also directly contracted to them.  I will say no more then, as we do not suggest or ask for any specific ratings or favors.  We simply conduct a business discussion about a business asset in the light of sheer and pure relatively.

I do what I recommend.  Is the message in spades on this one.  I will not need to return to indicate the outcomes.  Process will handle that for me, now.

John.

Learn, newcomers.  Learn.

John B wrote:

What newcomers should actually learn is the part of Upwork's TOS that discusses feedback manipulation. And then avoid doing it.

Christine A wrote:

John B wrote:

What newcomers should actually learn is the part of Upwork's TOS that discusses feedback manipulation. And then avoid doing it.

That, and of course, how to spot a client who has no qualms about using newcomers' JSS scores as a means of blackmailing them into recognizing said client's greatness. 

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

- Tell a story of a recent brilliant project win or superlative delivery.  Be proud of your successes and grant yourself the right to share the good news

- Pick a topic of delivery a newcomer might need to hear about.  Write about your experiences, the decisions you made, why they worked, what not to do.

That's it. Simple challenge.  Pause the tape on the two-liner snippy remarks and share your wins and share your expertise -- pro actively. Some do, that is not what I am saying.  Most do not. That is what I see.

Off to my next workstream!   EXCITING!  PARDON THE CONSULTANT TALK.

IT was beat into me.  lol....  

What you are missing - there are many wonderful, highly intelligent people in this forum. Connections and friendships are made. People generally appreciate others when they show themselves authentically. What forum members react a bit allergically to, is pontification. It comes from a place of not respecting others and their experiences, and will get the best sarcastic responses out of many. Which, I must admit, is highly entertaining. 

But you promised to leave us to our own devices for a few weeks - so you probably will not be reading this. If you do, though, I challenge you to not answer. See how that feels. Don't react. Find the stillness. Listen to Eckart Tolle. 

Martina P wrote:

What you are missing - there are many wonderful, highly intelligent people in this forum. Connections and friendships are made. People generally appreciate others when they show themselves authentically. What forum members react a bit allergically to, is pontification. It comes from a place of not respecting others and their experiences, and will get the best sarcastic responses out of many. Which, I must admit, is highly entertaining. 

But you promised to leave us to our own devices for a few weeks - so you probably will not be reading this. If you do, though, I challenge you to not answer. See how that feels. Don't react. Find the stillness. Listen to Eckart Tolle. 

What a challenge and we can start so many more.

John B wrote:

- Tell a story of a recent brilliant project win or superlative delivery.  Be proud of your successes and grant yourself the right to share the good news

- Pick a topic of delivery a newcomer might need to hear about.  Write about your experiences, the decisions you made, why they worked, what not to do.

That's it. Simple challenge.  Pause the tape on the two-liner snippy remarks and share your wins and share your expertise -- pro actively. Some do, that is not what I am saying.  Most do not. That is what I see.

Off to my next workstream!   EXCITING!  PARDON THE CONSULTANT TALK.

IT was beat into me.  lol....  

My snippy remark in the other thread... "Who *are" you?" meant... You have a very strange way of communicating imo. It almost sounds like AISL.

I respond to the newcomers directly when they post something that I think I can help with.

schardo
Community Member

To be honest, your posts continue to somewhat mystify me. 

However, I never miss an opportunity to brag about myself, so here goes:

I managed to boost my JSS (yeah, we know, JSS blah blah blah) from an abysmal 60% to 100%. And now I'm top rated! I also have enough experience and clout to take the projects that I want, when I want. 

And so, I'd say to anybody with a terrible JSS, it doesn't always mean doom and gloom forever. That's my tip for the newbies. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Sarah C wrote:

I managed to boost my JSS (yeah, we know, JSS blah blah blah) from an abysmal 60% to 100%. And now I'm top rated! I also have enough experience and clout to take the projects that I want, when I want. 

And so, I'd say to anybody with a terrible JSS, it doesn't always mean doom and gloom forever. That's my tip for the newbies. 

I had an unfortunate slip to 82% at one point (although it never stopped my work or invites), but with the guidance of actually helpful forum regulars  who answer real questions and not imaginary  ones , today I got back my TR status.  Yay for us both!   It only took 12 weeks. 

Screenshot (23).png

Sarah C wrote:

Sarah, that's great! Congratulations!

Rather than pontificate on what a newcomer would like to hear, since things are different on Upwork than when I joined, I'd rather respond directly to the questions of newcomers here in the forum and help them specifically with the questions they have, so that my time here is spent in a useful and productive way, rather than being so audacious as to force unsolicited advice on a non-existent audience.  My challenge for you upon your return is to exercise some forum etiquette and use the  quote function to address others politely versus talking at them.  Perhaps if you exercised some of this etiquette you would not find yourself so at odds with the "forum regulars" as you put it. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths