cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's how to get the full attention of your freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
21 of 54

It would be valuable to keep in mind that I adopt a newcomer once a year.   We are now five months into my three year of this tradition.  I pick newcomers who are ESL, live in places like Nigeria and India, and bring them carefully into my fold.  Whereupon I invest what is probably 100 hours of personal training, often delivered through co-staff projects.   For my 2018, 2019, and 2020 mentees:

- All three have achieved exceptional results,

- Moved up from JSSs in the 60s and 70s into the 90s to 100.

- They have all become dominant in their category

- And increased their billing rate 4x to 5x

What I explain and relate is information directly taken from my mentorship efforts.  It has proven out, three-for-three, over the the toughest of developmental patterns for mentees, and over a period of 2-1/2 years.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 54

I don't find it all that valuable to "keep in mind" that you've had some degree of success with three freelancers, all of whom started out in a terrible position at absymal rates and at least one of whom you have (please correct me if I'm wrong--basing this on prior comments) you have "helped" to increase JSS by hiring and giving good ratings.

I'm curious about where you get the idea that I have "engaged in no development activity with newcomers" simply because I don't rush to the forums to pat myself on the back over it every few days. Possibly you can't imagine doing something for any reason other than to give yourself public accolades? I've been mentoring new freelancers--mostly writers, but not exclusively--for a couple of decades. I do this to varying degrees based on their individual needs rather than spouting a "system" as if there's a one-size-fits-all way to freelance, and have worked with several dozen over the years. 

Thanks for assuming, though--it demonstrates something important.

Highlighted
Community Guru
23 of 54

As Jennifer pointed out, I was off the forum for a better part of 1-1/2 to two months.  I attend our daily frays only when I am not booked with business.  Booked with business, meanig I do not have enough time to do forum-related work, is a usual state of affairs.   Apologies.  But my usual state of affairs re-engages Monday, after an 8 day stay in the forum sandbox.  Guess some of us get so busy we only get to visit now-and-then.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
24 of 54

"forum-related work" -- ?  

Has been hired as a Moderator?

Highlighted
Community Guru
25 of 54

Of course not.  My word choices are not designed to be precise. Nor is my writing.   I am composing thoughts in real-time, typing at 110 wpm and stream of consciousness is not edited. They are, by average 3:1 or 5:1 longer than the snippet responses 90% common here.  Lots of communication transfer bandwidth.

But, yes.  "Forum related" work happens to be a correct term as I think about it.  Sub-conscious perspectives took over.  I don't come out here to play or assuage my disappointments. Obviously. In fact, I seem to be the only one who is out here expressing happiness, good news, sharing victories, though that is scarecly appreciated.  Sad about that, but not enough to stop.

Forum-related "work":

I consider mentorship, leadership, guidance, skill-sharing, and skill-building to be work.  Mostly because that is what happens in Big Four-class consultancies - my home base experience -  and the leaders are required mentor.  Teach. Share tactics and techniques.

They are also paid to do it.  So yes, in my frame of reference, writing work out here that hopefully - I suspect it will - help some newcomers and others, is "work" to me.

I do this out here now, from time-to-time, because giants in their industry mentored me and would expect me to pass on the wealth.

Lovely having some time for concepts, tactics, approaches, processes information transfer.  A healthy amount of kicking sand about in the sandbox. That one is always guaranteed.

Gotta run.  Five-week sprint in projects and I share only so much within boundaries.

Duty and pleasure calls. Good night.  See you in June or whatever.

Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 54

John B wrote:

Guess some of us get so busy we only get to visit now-and-then.

I'm sure most of us can sympathize with that. Most of those of us you think you're in "frays" with have reached the point in our careers where we don't have to work full time and spend little or no time cultivating new clients, but I am sure we all remember the days when we had to put in long hours to build our businesses.

Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 54

If you will notice.  Aside from the lovely prose.  Not a single person responded with on-topic responses to provide information.

This is a fabulous example of me posting a piece of thought capital - brief - with opinions.  No attacks made on anyone.

And all it engenders is attacks.  Starting with someone actually correcting my English.  You most prominently.  Look inward and consider why.  Consider why you could not start a piece with "In my experience, here is what I do, here is the value why, and here is why I recommend it".

Shame on you. The only difference here is that I have the verbal skills necessary to not "take it lying down".  As a reminder: send a shot over my bow. I return two.

Maybe next month, when I put up a piece consider being less antagonistic and join the fun of sharing experiences, successes, ways you do things, and avoid "well don't do that it is a terrible idea!".

Just, you know.  Try to get along.  Then I will too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
28 of 54

John, as usual, no one knows who you mean when you say something like "you, especially" because you steadfastly refuse to either use the quote feature or address the person you're speaking to by name. 

I know it wasn't me because I didn't say anything about your grammar. No matter. I'm confident that I speak for everyone here when I say that no matter how many allusions you make to how we've all learned our lessons and will be properly fearful of crossing you in the future, we haven't noticed whatever big intimidating thing you think you've done to scare us into our places. 

As for the rest, most of the long-time forum participants who are successful freelancers have seen the harm that comes to newcomers when they get taken in by someone with more confidence than good advice, and we don't like to see it happen. We're never going to sit quietly by for what we see as harmful to newer freelancers in the name of playing nice. 

I know you like to feel like this is personal, but we've all seen the people you think you're in frays with in frays, and you're barely getting their attention. The disputes of what we see as bad information that's harmful to others will continue, since helping newer freelancers is the sole reason most of us visit these forums.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
29 of 54

Tiffany S wrote:

John, as usual, no one knows who you mean when you say something like "you, especially" because you steadfastly refuse to either use the quote feature or address the person you're speaking to by name. 

I know it wasn't me because I didn't say anything about your grammar. No matter. I'm confident that I speak for everyone here when I say that no matter how many allusions you make to how we've all learned our lessons and will be properly fearful of crossing you in the future, we haven't noticed whatever big intimidating thing you think you've done to scare us into our places. 

As for the rest, most of the long-time forum participants who are successful freelancers have seen the harm that comes to newcomers when they get taken in by someone with more confidence than good advice, and we don't like to see it happen. We're never going to sit quietly by for what we see as harmful to newer freelancers in the name of playing nice. 

I know you like to feel like this is personal, but we've all seen the people you think you're in frays with in frays, and you're barely getting their attention. The disputes of what we see as bad information that's harmful to others will continue, since helping newer freelancers is the sole reason most of us visit these forums.

The only good that has come out of this is my increase in admiration for Janean's and your writing styles, and my goal to one day write as witty and pithy responses as you. I consider myself quite successful in my field, but we all have our role models. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
30 of 54

Hi all,

This thread has been closed for further replies. I would like to ask everyone to please be mindful of the Community Guidelines.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS