🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Hi Kids!
Page options
jcullinan
Community Member

Hi Kids!

Guess what happens when you point out inconsistent behavior from a moderator in the name of transparency? Or ask questions with possibly uncomfortable answers?

You get a seven day ban from the Community with no warning or explanation of any kind - no direct communication whatsoever, and only form replies from Support. Never mind getting questions answered.

I feel so valued.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
brittanyjasper
Community Member

This platform truly gets less appealing by the day. 

So Upwork will gladly take their fees from you and allow you to spend your free time helping other freelancers in the community...but the minute you criticize them and demand some accountability they suspend you and remove your post? Is that what I am understanding? 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Jess,

We just want to clarify that we sent you PMs and emails about your posts. Also, please note that posting about a suspension is against our Community Guidelines. Thank you.

Untitled

There were no PMs, and there were no emails. There has been no direct communication at all except this reply from you.

purplepony
Community Member

Jess, thank you for sharing.  I (and I'm very confident also numerous other Community members) both value and appreciate you.

Evidently UW values your opinions and the impact they may have more so than they do some others'.  There's times I've noticed others supposedly in violation yet their posts are not removed, and it hasn't appeared that they've been suspended.  Of course we have no way of knowing if they've received warnings...

Per TOS Mods have full discretion regarding actions taken over postings.  IMO as a result of that flexibility, what may appear as discrimination can ensue.   

Hang in there Jess. I have enjoyed your posts and I think you have made some pretty astute observations. 

@Nichola L wrote:

Hang in there Jess. I have enjoyed your posts and I think you have made some pretty astute observations. 

Thank you, Nichola, I try! I know the sarcasm can be pretty full-bore sometimes. 🙂

@Pat M wrote:

Jess, thank you for sharing.  I (and I'm very confident also numerous other Community members) both value and appreciate you.

Evidently UW values your opinions and the impact they may have more so than they do some others'.  There's times I've noticed others supposedly in violation yet their posts are not removed, and it hasn't appeared that they've been suspended.  Of course we have no way of knowing if they've received warnings...

Per TOS Mods have full discretion regarding actions taken over postings.  IMO as a result of that flexibility, what may appear as discrimination can ensue.   

Thanks, Pat. It's those inconsistencies that perplex me, and the fact that pointing them out or asking clarifying questions on the "guidelines" is frowned upon and actively punished.

I most respect people and organizations who are willing to own up, make amends with genuine apology, and make positive changes for the benefit of all when they make mistakes. Perpetuating a myth of infallibility on the behalf of an organization or group of people doesn't solve anything, and silencing voices that object to this myth is just flat wrong.

The reputation of this platform as a professional place to do business is important to me as a freelancer, so I'm not going to just sit quietly in a corner when things are wrong or users are mistreated.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Jess,

Several people from our team including Lena and I have reached out to you via private messages and email to discuss removed posts, the purpose of this Community, Community Guidelines and the work we do. We won't be able to discuss those notifications, messages and removed posts here publicly as it would be in violation of our Community Guidelines.

In general, we do allow and welcome constructive feedback in the Community, discuss it with the team internally and take it into consideration when making changes. However, repetitive posting of deliberately negative statements about Upwork, Upwork's team and Upwork users may result in post removals and suspensions from using the Community.

Thank you.

Edited to add: We'll be closing this thread from further replies as we won't be able to discuss removed posts, warning letters, bans and suspensions here. Please, refer directly to Community Guidelines for further information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
brittanyjasper
Community Member

This platform truly gets less appealing by the day. 

So Upwork will gladly take their fees from you and allow you to spend your free time helping other freelancers in the community...but the minute you criticize them and demand some accountability they suspend you and remove your post? Is that what I am understanding? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths