Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Hippies …

Hippies1.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
227 REPLIES 227

True story...

My dad and his wife (my stepmom) came to live with us 2 weeks ago. She has dementia, is incontinent, and is in a wheelchair. Long story short...I have long hair that I tend to wear in a braid - just makes more sense when doing housework, taking care of her....and, of course....WORKING. You know, the kind of work you get paid to do like on Upwork. But I digress....

So there I was in my shorts, t-shirt (it is summer here), and braid the other morning, giving her a bed bath and getting her ready for the day. My braid flips over my shoulder and she grabs a hold of it...pulls me closer....and whispers.. "I also used to be a hippy...."

Irene, hopefully that filled each of you with absolute joy!

It did/does. My Mom died when she was in her 40's...Stepmom has loved Dad and taken care of him for 28 yrs. She also raised my brother (huge age gap between the two of us). So I will eternally be thankful to her for becoming the new light of his and baby bro's lives.

mtngigi
Community Member

C'mon people ... let's see your photo ... I don't want to be the only one!

@Virginia F wrote:

Is that really your photo, Virginia?

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Is that really your photo, Virginia?

Of course it's my photo. It never occured to me you'd think otherwise. Here's the photo where it lives under a magnet on my embarrassingly messy-magneted refridgerator.

When I saw the photo you posted, I was reminded of this photo because it's a favorite. Yes, Ravindra, I was once young and my now-white hair black - as I said, those were the days.

DSCF3124.jpg

Note the photo of the cool renticular cloud that looked like a flying saucer ... it hovered over Grand Lake (where I lived at the time) all day long without moving.

Let me know if you want any info about the two okras under the VW magnet. 🙂

Definitely not as good or as on-point as Virginia's photo... But it's as close to "hippie" as farm kids get. (The sorority T-shirt wasn't mine.)IJL with a heifer.jpg

@Janean L wrote:

Definitely not as good or as on-point as Virginia's photo... But it's as close to "hippie" as farm kids get. (The sorority T-shirt wasn't mine.)IJL with a heifer.jpg

The secrets are tumbling out now!

You were a rad too, Janean? Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

You were a rad too, Janean? Smiley Happy

Nope... I just played one in college...

@Janean L wrote:

Janean, unless that cow had a name, I'm guessing you weren't one of those d__m hippy vegetarians!  🙂 

Janean, unless that cow had a name, I'm guessing you weren't one of those d__m hippy vegetarians!  🙂 

Actually, all of our cows (steers, to be technical) had names. And that is why I no longer eat meat. I always knew the name of whatever was in the freezer. Unsettling...

Janean, your smile is an instant give-away.  Yep, that is def. you.  

@Virginia:

“Yes, Ravindra, I was once young and my now-white hair black - as I said, those were the days.”

Oh, come on, Virginia. That isn’t what I meant. Smiley Embarassed

I wasn’t sure if that was just a random picture from the hippie era.

Gosh, I see the resemblance now! Smiley Happy

And hey, white hair or not, you are still a great looker! Smiley Very Happy

BTW, tell me more about the okras.

ETA:

I wish I had my old photos.

Lost most of my prized possessions (photos, trophies, etc.) in a termite attack when I was in the US … but that is another story.

I regret having been so careless about my photographs.

Thank god, my daughter now has the few photos that didn’t get lost.

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Virginia F wrote:

Okay, John, Rene, Pat, Wendy, Nichola, Jennifer …

You're up next! Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Yay .... let 's see some throw-back photos, but only if you're old like me! 🙂

Not a clue where pics might be; I've moved too often.  Put imaginations to work -

Surfer girl thru and thru.  Long straight blonde - usually wet.  Very, very tan.  Way too young to have passed for even an approximation of an adult when I more or less ran off to San Francisco.  That is, had I been brave enough to go topless as was the norm.  The stuffing would have filled a Kleenex box. I was either too broke to have purchased a padded bra or lacked the foresight. 

I wore a lot of flower tiaras though ....

😉

@Wendy C wrote:

Not a clue where pics might be; I've moved too often.  Put imaginations to work -

Surfer girl thru and thru.  Long straight blonde - usually wet.  Very, very tan.  Way too young to have passed for even an approximation of an adult when I more or less ran off to San Francisco ... had I been brave enough to go topless as was the norm.  The stuffing would have filled a Kleenex box. I was either too broke to have purchased a padded bra or lacked the foresight. 

😉

I don't want to imagine - time to dig up those old photos. Cmon surfer girl ... I'll believe it when I see the Polaroid.

Virginia, a similar tale to the one Ravindra shared.  Not mugged or anything but the proverbial evil stepmother who trashed all my memories - scibblings, photos, memorablia, etc. - when I was in college.  

The many moves since then have meant I always have my daughter's memories packed and stored as FRAGILE. Do Not Touch -

@Wendy C wrote:

Virginia, a similar tale to the one Ravindra shared.  Not mugged or anything but the proverbial evil stepmother who trashed all my memories - scibblings, photos, memorablia, etc. - when I was in college.  

The many moves since then have meant I always have my daughter's memories packed and stored as FRAGILE. Do Not Touch -

Oh ... well that's just sad, Wendy.  Hard to believe anyone could be capable of doing that to someone's memories.

@ Virginia:

Did your post get zapped?

“Ah ... the okra. First I drew, colored and cut them out, putting little holes in the tops. I painted my face green, and fashioned a microphone out of an antique wooden spool. Needless to say it took a long time for anyone in my office (still in the B&M world then) to know who or what I was, because only one person recognized what the okra was, and after I ‘interviewed’ her, she put two and two together. Okra it's rather an unknown vegetable to a lot of people, lol.”

You have a fertile imagination and plenty of spunk.

Okra I do know very well. Thank heavens it was available at the supermarkets in the US. Okra and pita bread was a staple diet for me (in between the tater tots and pizzas).

ETA: Edited the post.

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@ Virginia:

Did your post get zapped?

“Ah ... the okra. First I drew, colored and cut them out, putting little holes in the tops, because they were my earrings the year I was Okra Winfrey for Hallowween. I painted my face green, and fashioned a microphone out of an antique wooden spool. Needless to say it took a long time for anyone in my office (still in the B&M world then) to know who or what I was, because only one person recognized what the okra was, and after I ‘interviewed’ her, she put two and two together. Okra it's rather an unknown vegetable to a lot of people, lol.”

You have a fertile imagination and plenty of spunk.

Okra I do know very well. Thank heavens it was available at the supermarkets in the US. Okra and pita bread was a staple diet for me (in between the tater tots and pizzas).

What post got zapped?

Marvelous costume!

@Wendy C wrote:

Marvelous costume!

Thanks. It was a take-off on another Halloween costume when I still lived in Grand Lake. That year I was Opa Winfrey

The phrase "Opa!" was heard many times around that small mountain town before shots of whatever where downed. So that year, I had little plastic shot glasses dangling from my ears, and sewn all over the top I was wearing.

People still talk about Opa Winfrey ... many years later. 🙂

@Wendy C wrote:

Marvelous costume!

Apparently it was found offensive ... and I assume the Opa reference will disappear as well. I never in a million years thought of that costume as offensive - not even close, because it isn't. It's a play on her name.

@ Virginia: IMO the "cops" do take it too far sometimes.  Of course I undertand the rule but think they need to lighten up sometimes, but what do I know-lol.

Ravindra and whomever else may be interested:  I LOVE okra and almost all veggies but definitely am not a Vegetarian.  I just had fried okra @ The Cracker Barrel Thursday evening w/:  chicken and dumplings, hash brown casserole, and fried apples.  No carbs in that meal-lol!  I ate about 2/3 of the meal and got a box for the other 1/3.  When our waitress asked us if there was anything else we'd like I replied a wheel barrow (to haul me out).  Sooooo good but soooo stuffed.  Smiley Happy 

Ravindra stated:

@Virginia F wrote:

Okay, John, Rene, Pat, Wendy, Nichola, Jennifer …

You're up next! Smiley Happy

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmm, it doesn't appear that John or Rene are playing.  Perhaps they need a formal invitation?  Or, maybe they're younger than you think?

My bet - age is irrelevant as both are hippies at heart.  

I want to see Preston's version of himself as a hippie.  Maybe there is a photograph of him with his tie knotted loosely...?

Bus.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Alcohol_vs_Marijuana.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra shared:

Alcohol_vs_Marijuana.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I definitely tend to agree with this; although it's been MANY years---lol!  I probably better not share anymore as sometimes it doesn't seem to take much to offend "the cops."  Woman Wink  

Well done, Ravindra. Very well done!

@Ravindra B wrote:

Alcohol_vs_Marijuana.jpg

Actually - this is not the case and Marijuana is not a soft drug. In France there are hundreds of fatal traffic accidents a year caused by marijuana. Its impact on reflexes is every bit as bad as alcohol. If you smoke it, it not only mashes your brain, but is worse for your lungs than tobacco.

@Nichola L wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

Alcohol_vs_Marijuana.jpg

Actually - this is not the case and Marijuana is not a soft drug. In France there are hundreds of fatal traffic accidents a year caused by marijuana. Its impact on reflexes is every bit as bad as alcohol. If you smoke it, it not only mashes your brain, but is worse for your lungs than tobacco.

When I was in high school, my first boyfriend was a beautiful Adonis - a much older guy who was a surfer. He was so, so, pretty, but also so, so stupid. And also, a complete stoner. I was in advanced placement classes and (at the time) had my sights on medical school (which didn't work out, but that's a different story!). I decided that I would never, ever touch the stuff, for fear of it killing my very smart brain. I had a string of beautiful, dumb, stoner boyfriends but have never smoked it myself. But I'm certain that my mother *still* doesn't believe me when I was always coming home smelling of pot!

Now, don't get me wrong - I am *certainly* not saying that there's a correlation between pot smoking and intellligence. I now know many intelligent people who also use marijuana. But to my young, impressionable brain, I thought there was a correlation and made a decision based my limited observations.

@Jennifer D wrote:

Now, don't get me wrong - I am *certainly* not saying that there's a correlation between pot smoking and intellligence. I now know many intelligent people who also use marijuana. But to my young, impressionable brain, I thought there was a correlation and made a decision based my limited observations.

I never advocate smoking (tobacco or otherwise) or drinking alcoholic drinks.

The luckiest people are those who never need these intoxicants (or others) to relax.

What I post for is just a few laughs. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra posted:

I never advocate smoking (tobacco or otherwise) or drinking alcoholic drinks.

The luckiest people are those who never need these intoxicants (or others) to relax.

What I post for is just for few laughs. Smiley Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I did used to smoke pot---MANY moons ago.  I also used to smoke cigarettes but finally quit (after several attempts).  I quit "cold turkey" on 5/19/2001 and have never regretted it or wanted another cig.  

I occasionally do drink alcohol but am not "a lush."  My previous husband became an alcoholic.  His father had been one too and died at a younger age as a result of it which made everything even more sad.  That's such an insidious illness.

If it would be as easy as simply:  "say no to drugs."  Throughout the years many who had the very best of intentions tried to convince me to quit smoking cigarettes.  However, I was the one who had to really want to quit to be able to accomplish that.  As a result of my own experiences, I don't lecture smokers.  I do tell them that when they're ready they will quit and that if I could do it, anyone can.  

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very glad that I finally did quit smoking for so many reasons.  Within a short time of quitting I began noticing the smoke smell from a distance and hated it as I continue to.  To this day I think: OMG, I/my possessions used to smell like that???!!!  Also, the costs were bad enough then; now---forget it!

Well, enough of "Confession 101"-lol!  FYI Ravindra, many of your posts have given me more than just a few laughs! Woman Very Happy   

Pat, I'm an ex-cigarette smoker too. I was a very heavy smoker all through the end of high school and university. I cut back a lot when I finished uni and finally quit for good when I moved to Australia in April 2004. Doesn't stop me getting cravings though, especially when I'm stressed.

I drink very little alcohol and won't have a single drink if I have to drive at any point in the evening. My uncle killed himself drink driving and I'm militant about it. Sorry about your ex and his dad 😞

Anyway this has gotten way too sad for such a happy thread! Back to the hippie pictures!

hqdefault.jpg

Jennifer, I understand about heavy smoking; used to smoke 2-3 (usually 3) packs/day.  YIKES!!!  CONGRATS on quitting!  I'm sorry you still get cravings; I know many that do.

You probably know this technique already but in case you don't I'll share.  I practice it A LOT when I'm stressed.  Take a VERY deep breath and VERY slowly exhale; sometimes a few times in a row.  It really helps me.

Then there's other times I'm stressed whereby most people would count to 10: 1, 2, 3...  I just go straight to 10 and yell it out. lol

I never drink and drive or even get in a vehicle with anyone that has been.  I'm sorry about your Uncle.  I had a great Uncle (never met) that evidently really enjoyed his drink.  He was living with my Grandparents and came home very drunk one night.  The story goes that he came in the back door and fell all the way down the basement stairs and cracked his head open.  At least he probably didn't feel any pain but...gosh...

Anyway---enough of that; you're right.  We'll choose to be happy now.  Woman Very Happy 

Free spirit.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Learning Paths