Community Member

Hippies …

Hippies1.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
227 REPLIES 227

Double_decker.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Jennifer D. posted:

When I was in high school, my first boyfriend was a beautiful Adonis - a much older guy who was a surfer. He was so, so, pretty, but also so, so stupid. And also, a complete stoner. I was in advanced placement classes and (at the time) had my sights on medical school (which didn't work out, but that's a different story!). I decided that I would never, ever touch the stuff, for fear of it killing my very smart brain. I had a string of beautiful, dumb, stoner boyfriends but have never smoked it myself. But I'm certain that my mother *still* doesn't believe me when I was always coming home smelling of pot!

Now, don't get me wrong - I am *certainly* not saying that there's a correlation between pot smoking and intellligence. I now know many intelligent people who also use marijuana. But to my young, impressionable brain, I thought there was a correlation and made a decision based my limited observations.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Back in the day" I smoked pot and was the most intelligent person in the world---or so it always felt at the time! lol

Ravindra shared:

Bus.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I can't even imagine how many of these went to Woodstock and the like.  A class mate of mine did and had a wonderful time.  I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo envious! 

csjarmitage
Community Member

Well, I wasn't a part of the original thread but here goes 😄  Man, this was long and long ago (Petra was nice enough to restore the image a while back)

1975.jpg

Well, I wasn't a part of the original thread but here goes 😄  Man, this was long and long ago (Petra was nice enough to restore the image a while back)

1975.jpg

It is soooo tempting to add a talk bubble. 

Looking at these memories, is anyone else struck by how blasted care-free and happy we were?

@Wendy C wrote:

Looking at these memories, is anyone else struck by how blasted care-free and happy we were?

Otherwise known as "youth".

More than that, Virginia - at least I think so.

@Wendy C wrote:

More than that, Virginia - at least I think so.

Yeah ... my knees didn't hurt so bad!  🙂

But seriously ... you're right. How does that saying go? "Youth is wasted on the Youth". But I do find it interesting that I feel the same way inside as I did when I was younger.

It seems that the body ages faster than the mind, soul and our psyches.

Here's one of me from the 70's.

Easter 1977.jpg

And one from the 60's...1782009_10202251033695596_359193906_n.jpg

@Mary W wrote:

Easter 1977.jpg

Cute kids with a cute mom!

"Certa bonum certamen"

Bellbots.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra shared:

Bellbots.jpg

Ravindra, my how you've changed! Woman Surprised

@Pat M wrote:

Ravindra shared:

Ravindra, my how you've changed! Woman Surprised

Yeah, I guzzle a lot less gas now! Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Mary W wrote:

Easter 1977.jpg

So Mary, was this before or after the hippie days?

Lugging around three kids and a husband couldn’t have been an easy task. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Virginia stated:  

Yeah ... my knees didn't hurt so bad!  🙂

But seriously ... you're right. How does that saying go? "Youth is wasted on the Youth". But I do find it interesting that I feel the same way inside as I did when I was younger.

It seems that the body ages faster than the mind, soul and our psyches.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Virginia, I certainly understand and agree with what you're saying.  At times when I see myself in the mirror or in a photo I think "Who the Hell is that!?"   

If only it could be like Brad Pitt's movie-Benjamin Button.  IMO a great movie!

@Christy A wrote:

1975.jpg

Great pic, Christy. (Thanks to Petra, colorful too.) Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
cupidmedia
Community Member

Here's one of me and my hippie dad from the appropriate era:

IMG_7269.JPG

And here's one of me as a teenager trying to be a hippie (I wore a lot of long floaty dresses) (I'm on the left in the blue denim jacket):

IMG_7270.JPG

I used to joke that I was a hippie in a past life. These days my standard uniform is more jeans and a funky t-shirt but I still have the odd floaty dress.

@Jennifer D wrote:

IMG_7269.JPG

And here's one of me as a teenager trying to be a hippie (I wore a lot of long floaty dresses) (I'm on the left in the blue denim jacket):

IMG_7270.JPG

I used to joke that I was a hippie in a past life. These days my standard uniform is more jeans and a funky t-shirt but I still have the odd floaty dress.

Great shots, Jennifer!

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

IMG_7269.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

Great shots, Jennifer!

Floaty dresses aren't odd. 🙂

Jennifer, your comment about being a hippy in another life reminded me of this. Long after those days were over, and I was still working as a chef in another life, I was sitting on a pickle bucket taking a break and out of the blue one of the waiters came up to me and said "you're an undercover hippy, aren't you?" I don't know what he saw that prompted that, but it was a pretty funny thing to have someone say to me.

jolash
Community Member

I always suspected there was an undercover hippie movement on UW - just did not know how strong it was.

Keep the confessions (and awesome throwback pictures) coming people.

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

BTW Rene and John cannot be a part of this movement -  in another world maybe, but not this one.

Hippies Definition:

'(especially in the 1960s) a person of unconventional appearance, typically having long hair and wearing beads, associated with a subculture involving a rejection of conventional values'... etc

Reminds me of the old arguement - Are hippies born or made?

@Oreofe J wrote:

I always suspected there was an undercover hippie movement on UW - just did not know how strong it was.

BTW Rene and John cannot be a part of this movement -  in another world maybe, but not this one.

Hippies Definition:

'(especially in the 1960s) a person of unconventional appearance, typically having long hair and wearing beads, associated with a subculture involving a rejection of conventional values'... etc

Hippies are hippies at heart. Smiley Happy

Def1.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Oreofe J. stated:

Hippies Definition:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

It was the 70's for me.   IMO hippies can be born or made.  Smiley Wink 

Sunday.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Car.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

Car.jpg

Cool.

Hey Man, Groovy!!!  (Looks somewhat like Janis Joplin)

@Pat M wrote:

It is Janis Joplin and her 1964 hand-painted Porsche Cabriolet. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Woodstock.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envious that a class mate of mine got to go!  Since I was in high school at the time, of course my parents wouldn't let me; and I did beg.  My class mate that went was a guy.  My parents were great parents; I just didn't fully realize it at the time-lol. 

Truth time.  I was never anything even close to a hippy.  I was in high school and college but was rather conservative and "preppy".  IN the 70's, I was a young wife and mother and then a young single mother.  No time for anything else!

However, in the spirit of complete honesty, one of my best friends from high school kidnapped Patty Hearst.  True story.

@Mary W wrote:

Truth time.  I was never anything even close to a hippy.  I was in high school and college but was rather conservative and "preppy".  IN the 70's, I was a young wife and mother and then a young single mother.  No time for anything else!

However, in the spirit of complete honesty, one of my best friends from high school kidnapped Patty Hearst.  True story.

Nor was I: too young and too concerned about my education.

I was more a yuppie than a hippie, or perhaps a yippie. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Janice Joplin though. She was such a great singer - all those 27- year olds -  what is it with ultimate burn out at this age?

@Mary

Patty Hearst's kidnapper - coo-er! (as they say in Brit English). Last Sunday I had lunch with a couple I had never met. They casually let it drop that they had been quite close friends with a murderer.

My little sheltered life - of course murderers can have friends, even if, in grisly fashion, they topped their hubby or their hubby's lover - or both.

Makes one think . . .

@Nichola.  She actually came to our last high school reunion, which took a lot of courage.  She was exactly the same as she had been in high school.  I guess two prison terms taught her something.  She's also very successful, having taught herself programming while in solitary confinement for three years....

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppppie---I like it!  I like it!  In the 70's I was in high school and college and was a hippie as much as I could be.  But, I was also concerned about my education so...

Mary, from the photos I didn't think you were; but you could have been an Honorary one.  Smiley Happy

Ravindra stated:

@Pat M wrote:

It is Janis Joplin and her 1964 hand-painted Porsche Cabriolet. Smiley Happy

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well then no wonder it looked like her lol-DUH to me.  Woman LOL

Woodstock_August_1969.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Learning Paths