Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
156 of 220

Music.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
157 of 220

"If you' re going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair . . ."

or Leonard Cohen - depending on mood - but he was a great poet and musician.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
158 of 220

The iconic hippie song ....  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
159 of 220

@Nichola L wrote:

"If you' re going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair . . ."

I can still remember the day I heard that song on the radio, one bleak afternoon, in the dead of winter, in Paris. I was proud to notice I could understand some of the lyrics. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
160 of 220

The thing is, I don't see that anyone has to be "a hippie" to see a need for change and to go for that. All the old 60s and 70s pictures are great, and nostalgic, but the fact is that today is the time period when I believe we have the most tolerance. We can thank our parents for that, or ourselves, depending upon where we fall on this timewise/agewise, but actually, as I remember things, the "hippie" thing was more insular, and kind of more counterculture, whereas today, we have tons of initiatives *for everybody*, and you don't have to wear fringe or listen to certain music to be allowed to benefit. Smiley Happy

I was born in 1967 and I recall bullying in schools being commonplace, even BY teachers, literally verbal abuse to "sharpen us up" (can you imagine that flying today?), getting a spanking as a routine, very accepted thing including in public and if we were REALLY "bad," by our friend's mom if we acted up at their house...I remember certain sterotypes being highly accepted in sitcoms...I remember very, very, very few if any school programs for children who needed help but didn't want to be in special ed; I remember NOBODY grousing about "political correctness," ever.

As someone who lived in the 70s I definitely remember a far different world than today. The people who wandered around barefoot and toked were more isolated and were "the" tolerant ones, now really we all are expected to be, so I can't see how anyone can imagine there have been no results from that time period or that we need to keep the hippie spirit alive. Smiley Happy What we have today is better than "the hippie spirit," IMO, because it's not just "the cool people" who are "allowed" to off in communes or to apartments (I remember those too) who live an accepting lifestyle in, ironically, a sort of isolation.

I am glad for the world we live in today, because I have my childhood to compare it to and yes, it's more gentle, far, far, far more gentle today *overall* than it was then.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS