@Mary W wrote:

Where did you find this old picture of me???  Woman Wink

Mary, you wild girl!

Mary W wrote:

Where did you find this old picture of me???  Woman Wink

Looking good, Mary. Is that a Gibson?

vdubeau
Community Member

Ah!! Good memories. In memory of the era and of Haight-Ashbury, the origin of the hippie movement.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

There def. seem to be a bunch of us 'leftover hippies' or wish we'de been there then!

Mary, where you reading my mind with your comment at the start of the thread?

Oh boy! When I think of the number of marches (barefoot and flowers) - and it seems it was all for nothing.

Image result for ban the bomb sign

It wasn't for nothing: the meek shall inherit the earth. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra, I hope on the day of judgement this will be so. But up to now, events have not proved this optimistic statement to be true.

@Nichola L wrote:

Ravindra, I hope on the day of judgement this will be so. But up to now, events have not proved this optimistic statement to be true.

Nichola,

When the warmongers have slaughtered each other, the meek will roam the earth. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

When the warmongers have slaughtered each other, the meek will roam the earth. Smiley Happy

That's a pre-nuclear concept. When the warmongers have slaughtered each other, the rest of us will have been vaporized, radiated, poisoned, etc. in the crossfire.

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

That's a pre-nuclear concept. When the warmongers have slaughtered each other, the rest of us will have been vaporized, radiated, poisoned, etc. in the crossfire.

You presume that bad = mad. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

Doesn't it?

@Reinier B wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

Doesn't it?

If that were true, we would already be dissociated atoms and molecules. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

Doesn't it?

If that were true, we would already be dissociated atoms and molecules. Smiley Happy

Not sure I can agree with that. Madmen almost always have a very well developed sense of self preservation, which I sometimes think is all that has saved us thus far from becoming dissociated atoms and molecules.

@Reinier B wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Nichola,

Doesn't it?

Not sure I can agree with that. Madmen almost always have a very well developed sense of self preservation, which I sometimes think is all that has saved us thus far from becoming dissociated atoms and molecules.

Which shows they aren't really mad. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

You made me LOL, thanks Tiff!

Geo Maria George

Where ARE all these hippies, anyway???

I live in SoCal but I never see anybody who doesn't wear shoes, at least nobody who isn't sprawled next to Ralph's wearing a giant coat.

Now hipSTERS, those I see.

@Melanie H wrote:

I live in SoCal but I never see anybody who doesn't wear shoes, at least nobody who isn't sprawled next to Ralph's wearing a giant coat.

I'm originally from NorCal....and yes, I promise to resist all snark about our 2 countries 🙂

I left in 1999, but before that, anytime I went to Berkely, hippies were very evident. As well as in San Fran....I went to San Diego around 1993 and saw hippies along the coast.

Maybe yours turned into hipSTERs? Cause that has happend up to a point in my home town.

@Pandora H wrote:

I'm originally from NorCal....and yes, I promise to resist all snark about our 2 countries 🙂

I left in 1999, but before that, anytime I went to Berkely, hippies were very evident. As well as in San Fran....I went to San Diego around 1993 and saw hippies along the coast.

Maybe yours turned into hipSTERs? Cause that has happend up to a point in my home town.

Maybe.

Maybe it was the Great -Ster Exodus of 2000.

@Melanie H wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

Maybe.

Maybe it was the Great -Ster Exodus of 2000.

Haha I would not know, I was goth until 1997, and the last 2 years I barely rember, mostly because they were BORING.

@Melanie H wrote:

There's plenty of people with no shoes and no shirt here on the Gold Coast but they're usually surfers, not hippies.

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

There's plenty of people with no shoes and no shirt here on the Gold Coast but they're usually surfers, not hippies.

The hippies are pretty much gone, but the spirit is still alive. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

The hippies are pretty much gone, but the spirit is still alive. Smiley Happy

Lifting my glass to you Ravindra!

There were plenty of reasons for the hippy movement. It wasn't just a case of rebelling against one's parents - and you would have had to live through it to understand. Also not everyone was a hippy (although it may have been a secret wish for some!)

So...

Why is it that my posts keep disappearing?

Anyway, to make things brief(er), as someone born in 1967, the world today is VASTLY more gentle than it was then. I grew up in a spanking generation, one where teachers and kids alike were allowed to bully and even encouraged to do so (after all, our parents frequently argued, how else were we going to learn to "get along"?), where counterculture that was more sort of self-isolated was cool but the rest of the world was harsh.

Today is far more gentle than it was then, and we do owe that to the initiatives of (mostly) the 60s and 70s, but to say there's some need to keep the hippie movement alive is to overlook the fact that overall acceptance really is at an all-time high. Not just for hippies specifically but for everybody.

To me, that's progress. 🙂

With all that said, the nostalgic pictures are fun. I remember most of what's being posted here. There were some good times for sure.

ETA: Holy cow, that sounded snarky and dismissive! Hopefully it made some sort of sense. Not dismissing "the hippie movement," as I said, that's where it all started, after all, but having lived through both time periods...well, to dismiss today as not keeping the spirit alive is so weird to me since today we're SEEING it, in action, not just in a commune or an apartment overloaded with toking teens. 🙂 (I lived across from one of those in 1974...nice guys, actually...)

Janis.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

From above: "Oh boy! When I think of the number of marches (barefoot and flowers) - and it seems it was all for nothing."

Boy, I hear that, Nichola.

Nichola and Anthony, I really hate having to TU your posts to confirm the TRUTH of what you wrote.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Ravindra B wrote:

Hippies1.jpg

Those were the days, my friend. Peace  Smiley Wink

Gigi Granby 79.jpg

Virginia, you're still beautiful; now with absolutely gorgeous white hair instead of dark.  Here's one of my photos from the era.

Hippy Pat.jpg

@Pat M wrote:

Virginia, you're still beautiful; now with absolutely gorgeous white hair instead of dark.  Here's one of my photos from the era.

Hippy Pat.jpg

The Pat-in-long-hair version. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra stated:  The Pat-in-long-hair version.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yep, and MUCH younger too.  In addition to the longer hair I wore:  granny glasses (wires), midriff tops, bell bottoms and went bare footed as much as I could get away with-lol!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the memories; at least of those instances I could fully remember.  Smiley Wink   

@Pat M wrote:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yep, and MUCH younger too.  In addition to the longer hair I wore:  granny glasses (wires), midriff tops, bell bottoms and went bare footed as much as I could get away with-lol!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the memories; at least of those instances I could fully remember.  Smiley Wink   

I need to get my eyes examined: completely missed the fire place. Smiley Happy

Bell bots + bare feet = clean floor. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra stated:

@Pat M wrote:

I need to get my eyes examined: completely missed the fire place. Smiley Happy

Bell bots + bare feet = clean floor. Smiley Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course the bells had to be long enough that if I walked on water (fat chance---ha ha), the pants (nearly always jeans) would absorb water at least to a couple of inches above the hems.  Talk about a really clean floor.  Oh, brother...lol! 

We were a little too young for the hippie movement.

Besides, we were in a fancy school (British: public school; American: private school), so we were kept in check.

We saw the seniors wear drainpipes, and I always wondered how long it took to put them on.

By the time we had become seniors, thankfully bell-bots had become the craze.

Anyway, I was more a yuppie than a hippie.

Ravi2.png

"Certa bonum certamen"

Woodstock at 50, in the words, and music, of those who were there

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woodstock-at-50-in-the-words-and-music-of-those-who-were-there/

"Certa bonum certamen"

Love.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Picnic.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Weird.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Learning Paths