ravi_iitian
Community Member

Hippies …

Hippies1.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
227 REPLIES 227

The iconic hippie song ....  😉

@Nichola L wrote:

"If you' re going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair . . ."

I can still remember the day I heard that song on the radio, one bleak afternoon, in the dead of winter, in Paris. I was proud to notice I could understand some of the lyrics. 

The thing is, I don't see that anyone has to be "a hippie" to see a need for change and to go for that. All the old 60s and 70s pictures are great, and nostalgic, but the fact is that today is the time period when I believe we have the most tolerance. We can thank our parents for that, or ourselves, depending upon where we fall on this timewise/agewise, but actually, as I remember things, the "hippie" thing was more insular, and kind of more counterculture, whereas today, we have tons of initiatives *for everybody*, and you don't have to wear fringe or listen to certain music to be allowed to benefit. 🙂

I was born in 1967 and I recall bullying in schools being commonplace, even BY teachers, literally verbal abuse to "sharpen us up" (can you imagine that flying today?), getting a spanking as a routine, very accepted thing including in public and if we were REALLY "bad," by our friend's mom if we acted up at their house...I remember certain sterotypes being highly accepted in sitcoms...I remember very, very, very few if any school programs for children who needed help but didn't want to be in special ed; I remember NOBODY grousing about "political correctness," ever.

As someone who lived in the 70s I definitely remember a far different world than today. The people who wandered around barefoot and toked were more isolated and were "the" tolerant ones, now really we all are expected to be, so I can't see how anyone can imagine there have been no results from that time period or that we need to keep the hippie spirit alive. 🙂 What we have today is better than "the hippie spirit," IMO, because it's not just "the cool people" who are "allowed" to off in communes or to apartments (I remember those too) who live an accepting lifestyle in, ironically, a sort of isolation.

I am glad for the world we live in today, because I have my childhood to compare it to and yes, it's more gentle, far, far, far more gentle today *overall* than it was then.

sgoble
Community Member

My first love-in ... Chicago 1968.

Who can forget the scent of tear gas wafting across Grant Park?

That's me, runnning away FAST!That's me, runnning away FAST!

Miss_h.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

17203051_1011396862324890_6685260629716761643_n.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Midriff tops---ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, remember them well and of course wide, bell-bottom jeans.  Smiley Very Happy  

Camp.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Love_yourself.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Vinyl.png

"Certa bonum certamen"

Weekend.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Wild ones.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Heart Heart Heart   sez  Woman Happy

Hippy_toaster.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Keep it alive, Ravi!  Smiley Very Happy

Happy Birthday Jimi Hendrix. Born November 27, 1942. Seattle, WA.

Jimi.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

The Jimi Hendrix Statue on Capitol Hill near downtown Seattle. Jimi was unveiled in January 1997 in a veil of "purple haze" (colored smoke). There's been talk for years of moving him to Seattle's Jimi Hendrix Park, but he's stayed put thus far.

Jimi_statute.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Jimi3.png

"Certa bonum certamen"

Jimi4.png

"Certa bonum certamen"

Wow!  If the walls could talk... 

I am still a hippy. I did a long 'professional looking' stint in my life...but have been 'back to my roots' for quite  number of years. All you would need to know this is truth is to see me in real life. How many women my age still have long, messy hair, seldom wear makeup...and prefer comfort clothes ...and really don't give a rat's &%$ what other people think? Ahm...and then the occasional ... well....it burns... *hint hint*

Hippie.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Jimmy bike.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

RIP Joe Cocker. May 20, 1944 – December 22, 2014.

JoeCocker.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

HC.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

JJ Bday.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Janis Joplin mugshot photos. Tampa, FL. 1969. 

Janis.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Another_van.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

70s.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Another van2.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Diane.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

I felt like that upon numerous occasions in the '70's and '80's and a few times (too few) since.  Perhaps I should do something about that.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the good 'ole days...

Ravi, how are you doing?  Hoping all is at least as well as can be expected with the political turmoil.  Please take care and be safe!!!

Sorry. Double post.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Pat M wrote:

Ravi, how are you doing?  Hoping all is at least as well as can be expected with the political turmoil.  Please take care and be safe!!!

Just hoping the situation comes under control. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravi, thoughts and prayers are with you now and always.

Gotta love our hippie youth idols. They never relinquished their ferocious tenacity, idealism, and perfect snarkiness!   Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane scored big time.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7694143/jefferson-airplane-grace-slick-chick-fil-a-commercia...

Janis.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"

Hippies Never Die ... or Disappear. 

In the summer of 1967, San Francisco’s first all-female rock band burst onto the scene. But despite their successes, no record label ever signed them. 50 years later, they’re breaking all the rules — again — to record their first full album. #WomensHistoryMonth

Sound up - these gals are great - now 70+ and still sounding the same ...

https://www.kqed.org/arts/13806888/meet-the-ace-of-cups-the-haights-almost-forgotten-all-girl-band?f...

Wendy, love it; especially their messages which are timeless.

Bless the hippies ... they never lose their moral compass.

Cat Stevens at the New Zealand National Rememberance Service

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/cat-stevens-yusuf-delivers-powerful-performance-memorial...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths