Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hippies …

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
21 of 200

@Melanie H wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

I'm originally from NorCal....and yes, I promise to resist all snark about our 2 countries Smiley Happy

I left in 1999, but before that, anytime I went to Berkely, hippies were very evident. As well as in San Fran....I went to San Diego around 1993 and saw hippies along the coast.

Maybe yours turned into hipSTERs? Cause that has happend up to a point in my home town.

Maybe.

Maybe it was the Great -Ster Exodus of 2000.

Haha I would not know, I was goth until 1997, and the last 2 years I barely rember, mostly because they were BORING.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 200

@Melanie H wrote:

Where ARE all these hippies, anyway???

I live in SoCal but I never see anybody who doesn't wear shoes, at least nobody who isn't sprawled next to Ralph's wearing a giant coat.

Now hipSTERS, those I see.

There's plenty of people with no shoes and no shirt here on the Gold Coast but they're usually surfers, not hippies.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
23 of 200

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

I live in SoCal but I never see anybody who doesn't wear shoes, at least nobody who isn't sprawled next to Ralph's wearing a giant coat.

There's plenty of people with no shoes and no shirt here on the Gold Coast but they're usually surfers, not hippies.

The hippies are pretty much gone, but the spirit is still alive. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 200

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

The hippies are pretty much gone, but the spirit is still alive. Smiley Happy

Lifting my glass to you Ravindra!

There were plenty of reasons for the hippy movement. It wasn't just a case of rebelling against one's parents - and you would have had to live through it to understand. Also not everyone was a hippy (although it may have been a secret wish for some!)

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
25 of 200

So...

Why is it that my posts keep disappearing?

Anyway, to make things brief(er), as someone born in 1967, the world today is VASTLY more gentle than it was then. I grew up in a spanking generation, one where teachers and kids alike were allowed to bully and even encouraged to do so (after all, our parents frequently argued, how else were we going to learn to "get along"?), where counterculture that was more sort of self-isolated was cool but the rest of the world was harsh.

Today is far more gentle than it was then, and we do owe that to the initiatives of (mostly) the 60s and 70s, but to say there's some need to keep the hippie movement alive is to overlook the fact that overall acceptance really is at an all-time high. Not just for hippies specifically but for everybody.

To me, that's progress. Smiley Happy

With all that said, the nostalgic pictures are fun. I remember most of what's being posted here. There were some good times for sure.

ETA: Holy cow, that sounded snarky and dismissive! Hopefully it made some sort of sense. Not dismissing "the hippie movement," as I said, that's where it all started, after all, but having lived through both time periods...well, to dismiss today as not keeping the spirit alive is so weird to me since today we're SEEING it, in action, not just in a commune or an apartment overloaded with toking teens. Smiley Happy (I lived across from one of those in 1974...nice guys, actually...)

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
26 of 200

Janis.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
27 of 200

From above: "Oh boy! When I think of the number of marches (barefoot and flowers) - and it seems it was all for nothing."

Boy, I hear that, Nichola.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 200

Nichola and Anthony, I really hate having to TU your posts to confirm the TRUTH of what you wrote.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
29 of 200

@Ravindra B wrote:

Hippies1.jpg

Those were the days, my friend. Peace  Smiley Wink

Gigi Granby 79.jpg

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
30 of 200

Virginia, you're still beautiful; now with absolutely gorgeous white hair instead of dark.  Here's one of my photos from the era.

Hippy Pat.jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS