Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

How Many Members....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 9

Curiosity question: Approximately what percentage of clients and freelancers with accounts on the Upwork core site also contribute posts to the Upwork Community? (Even one post alone makes one a contributor).

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 9

Ron,


That is a good question but generally with any site and any forum is very small.

 

In Internet culture, the 1% rule is a rule of thumb pertaining to participation in an internet community, stating that only 1% of the users of a website actively create new content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk


Read the rest 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_%28Internet_culture%29

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
3 of 9

@Suzanne N wrote:

Ron,


That is a good question but generally with any site and any forum is very small.

 

In Internet culture, the 1% rule is a rule of thumb pertaining to participation in an internet community, stating that only 1% of the users of a website actively create new content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk


Read the rest 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_%28Internet_culture%29


Great note, Suzanne,

 

I particularly enjoyed the definition of "lurk, having never read that on Wikipedia before.

 

In any case, I agree that a very small (like that 1%) portion of the entire Upwork userbase is using the Forums. And I get the reasons why your aware of such things.

 

I'd be shocked if Lithium didn't offer any analytics, but of course, I am sure Upwork has their own.

Not that they will share those results with us.

 

I betcha another 5% might STAY in the forums if 1) they didnt have to read and 2) they didnt have to write.  And no, I'm not joking.

 

I'd guess about 50-60% of the ACTIVE, current member base of the forums feel they can write a good post worth making public. Writing is hard for a lot of people. Not everyone spends hours of their day communicating with clients that way.  

 

I have to wonder what would happen if someone read the new posts here, and addresed those posts in video format throughout the day - And did this for an entire week.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

I guess only someone at Upwork would kow that - but I presume it's a very small percentage. When we read on here of all the tormented and aggravated people with their various and numerous problems, imagine the many thousands suffering on in bewilderment without the help of the forums...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 9

re: "imagine the many thousands suffering on in bewilderment without the help of the forums..."

I think a huge number of people either don't know that the Community Forum is here, or don't realize that it is more than just casual discussion, but can actually be a place where people can learn things and gather valuable tips.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 9

With the absence of hard data, I agree that the commonly known 1% rule could apply. However, I was hoping Community Mods / Managers would share this internal data with the Community (an estimate just to satisfy one's curiosity). At a minimum, I would expect that Community participation and especially growth of the number of contributors is tracked on a monthly basis.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

re: "How Many Members..."

 

Ronald, I actually have some hard data with which I can begin to answer your question.

 

At the very least, there's you (Ronald), and there's also Stephen, Suzanne, and me.

 

So that's at least 4 people who are Upwork contractors who also post on the Community Forums.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

re: "How Many Members..."

 

Ronald, I actually have some hard data with which I can begin to answer your question.

 

At the very least, there's you (Ronald), and there's also Stephen, Suzanne, and me.

 

So that's at least 4 people who are Upwork contractors who also post on the Community Forums.


Preston,


Thank you for the giggle this morning. I needed that. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 9

@Ronald T wrote:

With the absence of hard data, I agree that the commonly known 1% rule could apply. However, I was hoping Community Mods / Managers would share this internal data with the Community (an estimate just to satisfy one's curiosity). At a minimum, I would expect that Community participation and especially growth of the number of contributors is tracked on a monthly basis.


Ronald,

 

I am curious did you ever find out your answer to this?  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS