cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you handle your first 4 star rating?

Highlighted
Heather F Member Since: Nov 17, 2019
1 of 33

So I just got my first 4.40 star rating and it kind of bums me out. How do you handle difficult clients and doing everything they ask at all hours for 4 stars? I know it isn't really a bad score but it just threw me off. Any advice on how you deal with ratings and not letting it bother you would be great. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 33

I messaged them and said "Hello, I think you made a mistake. I'm a very famous Upwork forum guru and I will not tolerate this."

Highlighted
3 of 33

Smiley LOL That just may work lol 

Highlighted
James M Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
4 of 33

I dread this myself, there is a type of person out there who has their own way of scoring things. This person never leaves 5* for anything and their reason is "because I think there is always something you can improve" - they are the type of person who spends their days writing letters of complaints and wanthing everything at rock bottom price....... They drive me crazy but they exist

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 33

James M wrote:

I dread this myself, there is a type of person out there who has their own way of scoring things. This person never leaves 5* for anything and their reason is "because I think there is always something you can improve" - they are the type of person who spends their days writing letters of complaints and wanthing everything at rock bottom price....... They drive me crazy but they exist

It's more annoying in the workplace when they are killing your bonus because of that attitude. At least here it's just stupid stars.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
6 of 33

Bravo.  Reviews in that workplace world come at times from two directions.  Reviews from your peers.  Which, in some consulting environments I am familiar with impact the promotion track and the bonus calculations.

Imagine, working in a world where each of your opinions of me might, in turn, impact my promotability and quarterly bonus.  LOL.  Now I need a drink.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 33

4.4 is a good score. Why is this a question?

Highlighted
8 of 33

Preston it is a question because I can be a bit hard on myself on trying to make sure everything is exactly as it is supposed to be and I thrive to make others happy. So it was kind of like a dagger lol. I am in the process of still learning not to let the whole rating situation bother me. I over think everything on how it could have been handled.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 33

If you know you did great work on this project, and the clients was pleased, and you were paid as expected, then there is really nothing to feel devastated by.

Upwork's feedback system is being misused in most instances when freelancers receive all fives. Some clients think about the ratings thoughtfully and use it as intended.

Highlighted
10 of 33

You have a great point and you are right. I did message him to make sure everything was okay or if he would liked anything done diffrenlty and his response "All good! You were a pleasure to work with and super professional. I got everything I need and am more than happy." 

I will grow thicker skin and put on my big girl pants and know not everyone is going to think I do 5 star work. It's something I am going to have to learn when freelancing. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS