cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you handle your first 4 star rating?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
11 of 33

Heather F wrote:

You have a great point and you are right. I did message him to make sure everything was okay or if he would liked anything done diffrenlty and his response "All good! You were a pleasure to work with and super professional. I got everything I need and am more than happy." 

I will grow thicker skin and put on my big girl pants and know not everyone is going to think I do 5 star work. It's something I am going to have to learn when freelancing. 

I know it's very childish to care about these stupid stars, but whenever I don't get 5 of them, I feel let down. Can't help it.

I have found that some people just don't give 5 stars because that's the way they are. What I really hate is when I find out that someone who was very harsh is also on Upwork as a freelancer, and therefore is fully aware of the harm they're doing. This is pure treacheary, as stars can be used to hurt a fellow freelancer, therefore competition.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 33

I handle them with a dash of humour, a pinch of aplomb, and a glass of wine. And then I go "cheers, chump"....and get on with the rest of my life.

Highlighted
Heather F Member Since: Nov 17, 2019
13 of 33

Irene B wrote:

I handle them with a dash of humour, a pinch of aplomb, and a glass of wine. And then I go "cheers, chump"....and get on with the rest of my life.

Irene, I literally laughed out loud when I read your response. Wine has deffinitly been my friend more lately lol. 

Highlighted
Heather F Member Since: Nov 17, 2019
14 of 33

Luce N wrote:

Heather F wrote:

You have a great point and you are right. I did message him to make sure everything was okay or if he would liked anything done diffrenlty and his response "All good! You were a pleasure to work with and super professional. I got everything I need and am more than happy." 

I will grow thicker skin and put on my big girl pants and know not everyone is going to think I do 5 star work. It's something I am going to have to learn when freelancing. 

I know it's very childish to care about these stupid stars, but whenever I don't get 5 of them, I feel let down. Can't help it.

I have found that some people just don't give 5 stars because that's the way they are. What I really hate is when I find out that someone who was very harsh is also on Upwork as a freelancer, and therefore is fully aware of the harm they're doing. This is pure treacheary, as stars can be used to hurt a fellow freelancer, therefore competition.

I never thought of buyers being Freelancers and being so vindictive because of  "compentition". That is horriable. It is probably going to take me a little while to learn not to let the star system bother me but it's worth a try. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
15 of 33

Heather F wrote:

I never thought of buyers being Freelancers and being so vindictive because of  "compentition". That is horriable. It is probably going to take me a little while to learn not to let the star system bother me but it's worth a try. 

The horrible thing happened to me at least twice (or I found out about it twice). I find it particularly disgusting as a client/freelancer knows that there's always a way to discuss whatever problem there is with the other freelancer, before rating him or her.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
16 of 33

I don't remember exactly, but I probably shouted a torrent of expletives at my screen, questioning the client's parentage and making references to certain body parts. Certainly the most professional and constructive way to deal with such things. 

... before then getting on with whatever other work I had to do. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
17 of 33

Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on.

I'm pretty sure that's not what I did but it always sounds so cool to say that. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
18 of 33

Sometimes clients do not distinguish the importance of ratings and JSS.  They think of it like a college or high school exam.  No one gets a 100.

I have recommended in the past that consultants - excuse me - freelancers - do exactly as you did.  Message in advance, asking for the information you did.  "All okay?" in essence.  I take it one step further, don't you know that is my ultimate mantra in life.  Take it one step further.

I indicate directly to the client, that my ratings, meaning my Job Success Score is the most vital business asset I have.  Then I leave it at that.   Which is a tactic, to note, I get scorned for out here in forum-land, as apparently it is anathema to consider discussing the JSS score and its importance by many on this forum.

That score, and my JSS is the most important fixed business asset I have.  And I make sure my clients understand that so that when they are making that split second decision and are very happy with my work, they understand what that little scale of buttons means to me.

John.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
19 of 33

I support Heather's mindset.  A 4.4 indicates just a part of it.  Obviously the private ratings may have taken a hit.  Our JSS is our most important business asset, sans our capability to sell our services followed by our capability to deliver.  Top 3 position is the message.

I remember Heather's first note out here, or one of them at least.  A new-comer's JSS is highly vulnerable to non-5-0s and less-than-perfect private ratings.  It can impact or delay rising talent designations. It can delay top talent designations.  Anything less than a 5-0 and perfect back end scores can cost us money, opportunities, prestige, and sleep. 

Heather, I recommend you sweat out the details like no other time in your career.  Now is the time to plant the flag, circle the wagons, stock the cupboards, and fill the fridge with perfect ratings.  Chose clients wisely, as best you can.  "It is not the client we lose that can cost us dearly.  It is the client we win who can hurt us the most".

Parable from my consulting days.  I judge it correct.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 33

Heather F wrote:

So I just got my first 4.40 star rating and it kind of bums me out. How do you handle difficult clients and doing everything they ask at all hours for 4 stars? I know it isn't really a bad score but it just threw me off. Any advice on how you deal with ratings and not letting it bother you would be great. Smiley Happy

I don't consider 4.x star ratings anything to "handle." That's a perfectly respectable rating. I have at least four or five 4.x ratings (one as low as 4.1) and they didn't stop me from maintaining 100% JSS for a very long time. 

One thing I would suggest, though, is that you stop doing "everything they ask at all hours." That sets a very bad precedent and isn't good for your life outside work or your other clients. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS