cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you handle your first 4 star rating?

Highlighted
Heather F Member Since: Nov 17, 2019
21 of 33

Tiffany S wrote:

Heather F wrote:

So I just got my first 4.40 star rating and it kind of bums me out. How do you handle difficult clients and doing everything they ask at all hours for 4 stars? I know it isn't really a bad score but it just threw me off. Any advice on how you deal with ratings and not letting it bother you would be great. Smiley Happy

I don't consider 4.x star ratings anything to "handle." That's a perfectly respectable rating. I have at least four or five 4.x ratings (one as low as 4.1) and they didn't stop me from maintaining 100% JSS for a very long time. 

One thing I would suggest, though, is that you stop doing "everything they ask at all hours." That sets a very bad precedent and isn't good for your life outside work or your other clients. 

I was just talking to one of my friends about that yesterday and they said the exact same thing about not always being avaliable. Yesterday I took the day off besides answering messages to clients that I already have to take time for myself to get in the right head space. I unistalled the app from my personal phone and only kept it on my business phone because I am also really bad at answering messages when I am out. I appreciate your adivce! 

I feel much better after hearing about everyone else and what they think on this subject. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 33

I never put the app on my phone and I deleted my email from my phone as well. I am also not available over weekends, although I DO log in once during the day just to check on things. But work? No. NOT unless I CHOOSE to. You HAVE to draw the line somewhere otherwise you would have no family life.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
23 of 33

Unfortunately client vindictiveness is all too common on Upwork - and it is something IMO that Upwork should address.

That said, we freelancers are neither perfect nor infallible, and when we get less than stellar feedback (when  perhaps we expected 5/5), we should check to see where the client thinks we have failed and, however unpalatable, admit that sometimes they may be right, and that we should address the problem.

It is of course, more difficult to define these areas (such as skills and quality) if the client is not more specific or more critical while the work is ongoing. However, taking a client's not-so-stellar rating into account, I think it is possible to adopt a self-analytical approach to one's  work retrospectively, in order to improve on work in the future.     

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
24 of 33

I go back and examine every step I took in the project.  I look for every potential mistake I made.  There are always multiple to locate and consider over time.  Then - I try to distill down what I could have done differently.  Sometimes it comes down to: I did not effectively screen the client and let some quirky habit of being unpleasable get past my checks and evaluations.  Then I tighten up the yoke and made it harder for clients to win work with me.

How do I handle it when I gain something less than a 5-0.  I take it very, very personally.  I look inward, examine me, personally and know I was the one who clicked the accept project button.  No one made me do that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
25 of 33

I admire a client who takes the time to give me a less-than-perfect score.

None of us are perfect.

These clients are being honest.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
26 of 33

Preston H wrote:

None of us are perfect.

I have to disagree with you. Many times, when I got less than 5, it didn't make sence at all. My best example is a repeat client who's always travelling the world and who has been known to take weeks to answer my messages. At one time, he marked me four for communication, which was a big surprise. I could give him a 2 for communication, but don't bother to, because we've managed to work together for over 2 years anyway.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
27 of 33

Luce N wrote:

Preston H wrote:

None of us are perfect.

I have to disagree with you. Many times, when I got less than 5, it didn't make sence at all. My best example is a repeat client who's always travelling the world and who has been known to take weeks to answer my messages. At one time, he marked me four for communication, which was a big surprise. I could give him a 2 for communication, but don't bother to, because we've managed to work together for over 2 years anyway.

I was once marked down for deadlines. 

Baffled, I had to ask to find out why. It seems the lady I was working for missed her own deadlines, despite me delivering on time. So, she decided to marke me down because she was late.

What can ya do? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
28 of 33

Jamie F wrote:

I was once marked down for deadlines. 

Baffled, I had to ask to find out why. It seems the lady I was working for missed her own deadlines, despite me delivering on time. So, she decided to marke me down because she was late.

What can ya do? 

Rings a bell! I was marked down for deadlines too, while I had delivered the work on time....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 33

I'll likely get marked down for deadlines tomorrow...

Two weeks ago (Sunday) I was invited to a small gig with a deadline for 10 am GMT on Monday. It was only a little $ 80 contract and I had time, so I spelled it out to the client that I would do the translation that day (Sunday) and do the final edit Monday morning and would submit it before 10 am GMT. 

I woke up Monday morning to a stream of increasingly stroppy messages that started at 3.30 AM GMT asking where her translation was. I submitted by 7.30 am GMT

Of course that's also the first client in forever that became totally unresponsive after the work was submitted and made me wait the 14 days for my money.

Tomorrow will also be the first time ever in near 300 contracts that I will leave poor feedback for a client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
30 of 33

I am sad this has happened to a fellow Upwork professional.  I have never seen nor heard of the work "stroppy".  That's rare.  Learned a new word today.  Hope I don't feel the need to use it very much.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS