🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » How do you make new friends?
Page options
aziz_92
Community Member

How do you make new friends?

So yea...how do you make new friends? I mean generally as adults and also as freelancers... I assume quite a few of us do this full time, work from home, and so we have pretty much no physcial social network; and now with this covid thingy looming over our heards, it's pretty much impossible. 

Personally, for me:

• Travelling (but friendships you make are pretty short lived as you drift apart after a while)
  • Going to meetups for hobbies that I have (but with covid next to impossible)
  • Learning new languages (made some really good friends this way)

Curious what you guys do to meet new people.

47 REPLIES 47
danielrune13
Community Member

As a freelancer, this is the biggest problem I'm facing right now. I have no social life, never go out, and have 2 or 3 friends, to whom I talk like once or twice a month.

People say that I'm lucky for being able to work freely at home, but honestly, for an introvert like me, the fact that I don't have a work place where I can casually talk with people, makes things much worse.

So recently, I decided to change my life-style. I decided to go out a bit more and find activities to do or ways to meet new people. I started using an application called "meetup", where people organize meetings. I'm planning on trying to go to the gym for the first time in my life.

It's actually quite a big challenge for me, since I've always had problems with socializing and approaching people. But It's something I have to do. Because right now, If I try to imagine my life in 10/15 years, I imagine myself alone and that brings me to a big depression.

hanitriniony
Community Member

Hello Aziz! I have yet entered upwork with the help of a friend. Now, I am glad when  I search and find malagasy employee and new friend in this upwork. I make friend when I was at school and during my previous work. Actually, I have new friend from the library and cybercafé. You can make friend in discussing in forum in this upwork and share your ideas. Smiley Happy

ionutd
Community Member

I've realised that friendship just like love, is something far too complex. Just because I get along with a person or because we have something in common, doesn't make them friends to me. When it comes to friendships I allow relationships to develop over time. Luckily, I'm at a stage in my life where I no longer care about friendships. I love my life and I'm happy on my own. I wouldn't mind some romance though hehe.

spxpert
Community Member

TIME the more time you give to anything,  the better it becomes.  So if you need to make good friend,  spend time with them,  get to know them.  I am not talking about friends in FB, Instagram,  social media is actually making us lonely.  
The less time you spend with your phone,  the more friends you will have 🙂

ca5ec3eb
Community Member

Good friends can be found everywhere walking on the street, at work on the Internet!

e_huma-s_zill
Community Member

Making friends as an adult can be challenging, but there are several strategies you can use:

1. Participate in hobbies or activities you enjoy: Join a sports team, attend a meetup group or take a class to meet people with similar interests.

2. Volunteer: Give back to your community and meet like-minded individuals while doing so.

3. Attend networking events: Networking events are great opportunities to meet other professionals and potentially make new friends.

4. Online communities: Join online communities or forums related to your interests. You can also use social media platforms to connect with people who share similar interests.

5. Seek out common ground: Look for opportunities to strike up conversations with people you meet in everyday situations, such as at work or in line at the grocery store.

For freelancers specifically, consider attending industry events and conferences, participating in online groups for freelancers, and reaching out to other professionals in your field for advice or collaboration opportunities.

Remember, making friends takes time and effort, but by being proactive and putting yourself out there, you can develop strong, meaningful relationships.

I agree with your points. Finding like-minded individuals can indeed be a challenge. As for approaching someone of the opposite gender, it's essential to be respectful and mindful of their personal boundaries. You can start by simply striking up a conversation, finding common ground, and being friendly. You can also try to approach them in a group or through a shared activity or interest. Remember that building genuine relationships takes time and effort, so be patient and don't be discouraged if things don't work out right away.
As mentioned in this thread, finding someone on Upwork, and connecting there? I don't think it's gonna work, I mean how we can find someone on a professional platform?
and to be honest, if you approach someone he/she will definitely consider it as a bad intention

8467c28e
Community Member

One way to make new friends is through online communities. There are many online communities and social networks that cater to specific interests, hobbies, and professions. You can join these communities and participate in discussions, ask for advice, or offer help. This is a great way to connect with people who share similar interests or experiences, even if you can't meet them in person.

Another way to make new friends is through volunteering. Volunteering can be a great way to meet people who are passionate about the same causes as you. You can find local volunteer opportunities in your community or look for virtual volunteering opportunities online.

If you're a freelancer, you can also try joining coworking spaces. Coworking spaces provide a shared workspace where freelancers and entrepreneurs can work together and network. This can be a great way to meet other professionals in your field and make new connections.

Additionally, you can attend industry events or conferences. These events provide opportunities to learn from experts in your field, meet other professionals, and expand your network.

Lastly, don't forget about the power of personal recommendations. Ask your existing friends, family, or colleagues if they know anyone who might be interested in connecting with you. They may be able to introduce you to people who share your interests or professional goals.

Making new friends can be challenging, especially during these times, but with a little effort and an open mind, you can find new connections that can enrich your personal and professional life.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths