🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » How long did it take before you landed your f...
Page options
nikarwong
Community Member

How long did it take before you landed your first client?

And how did you land the job? Was it based on low-bidding? Or did you throw in a ton of free services to sweeten the deal?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
timefighter11
Community Member

Hello Nico, 

Michael's reply is quite impressive but ground realities deviate a little from his point of view even I think the same way. I started working as freelancer and initially there was no measure/evidence of my creativity, ability and skills. I had to bid low for a job to win a contract. I scored enough projects to show the world about my abilities with all performance measures to 100% (including JSS and clients who recommend me). Even clients made me do lot of work which was not even defined in job posting in the same price. Now that I have enough indicators of my performance, I am asking for fair price of my abilities, talent and skills but hardly winning a contract as quickly as before by bidding lower. But I am not going low just to win a contract again. 

So, in my opinion, bidding low and work with full potential to gain good rating and reviews so that you can attract genuine clients in future. Don't get discouraged if someone ask more from you in start. Later you can work with your own terms with good performance indicators.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Bidding low or throwing in freebies is the absolute worst thing you can do. First, because there is always someone who will do it cheaper than you can. Second, it gives potential clients the impression that you don't value your skills or expertise. And if you don't value your skills, why should they?

All you're doing with that tactic is creating a race to the bottom. And that's a race that nobody wins, including the clients.

You need to show the client what you can do for their specific need, and convince them that hiring you (even if you cost more than whoever the lowest bidders are) will be more valuable in the long run, because you'll do it right.

Bottom line, charge what you know you're worth, and don't sell yourself short just to try and win contracts. Clients who are worth your time will be interested in your capabilities more than some artificially lowered price.

Bidding low is absolutely normal strategy. The purpose is to get rating. Words mean little if you have zero accomplished jobs. I've seen many profiles who made good career on Upwork by starting with low bids. Client often understand that a small cheap job is to get JSS and feedback.

I also saw profiles who had their first jobs as hourly with high rate. But much less often.

timefighter11
Community Member

Hello Nico, 

Michael's reply is quite impressive but ground realities deviate a little from his point of view even I think the same way. I started working as freelancer and initially there was no measure/evidence of my creativity, ability and skills. I had to bid low for a job to win a contract. I scored enough projects to show the world about my abilities with all performance measures to 100% (including JSS and clients who recommend me). Even clients made me do lot of work which was not even defined in job posting in the same price. Now that I have enough indicators of my performance, I am asking for fair price of my abilities, talent and skills but hardly winning a contract as quickly as before by bidding lower. But I am not going low just to win a contract again. 

So, in my opinion, bidding low and work with full potential to gain good rating and reviews so that you can attract genuine clients in future. Don't get discouraged if someone ask more from you in start. Later you can work with your own terms with good performance indicators.

kirnazdogan
Community Member

There isn't a certain way to do this. This is a race, and you must be faster in every new day. Just go out of your comfort zone and do learn every possible information that you think will help you to be better. Learn how to send killer proposals, how to make your profile stand out, how to toot your own horn, etc. Just, keep learning.
allpurposewriter
Community Member

1. Learn to write proposals at breakneck speed. Cut and paste if that works for you. But always a) indicate somehow you have actually read the job posting and b) adapt the text when you need to and c) I had something here, but my mind went blank.

2. A low hourly rate will likely turn off a few clients looking for an experienced pro. Meanwhile, a high hourly rate will likely turn off a few amateurs who are looking for a quick, cheap solution to their problems. You will be happier attracting clients who are not hoping you can bail them out while paying nothing but sawdust. 

3. Your rate looks very low to me, suggesting you will turn off the better gigs and appeal to the jokers. However, I am not the one to judge this. Do a survey of other web designers and aim for a medium rate to start.

4. As disquieting and unfair as it may be, one client can really push you in the mud with a lousy rating -- another reason to avoid the amateurs looking for a quick fix to their problems. (These guys are unreasonable and they strike back when you try to tell them the world is round.) So, keep that rating up by 1. Being honest, 2. Promising less and delivering more and 3) I can't remember the third thing ... what's with my brain today?

5. Oh yeah -- 3) staying away from morons.

It took me a month and 20 proposals to get my first job on Upwork. I eventually succeeded by sending the client a custom demo which showed enough of what he would be getting to convince him I would do a good job. I spent quite a lot of unpaid time on making custom demos, but I preferred that to working for peanuts. It was also useful for expanding my skill set and building up a library of reusable demos.

I view this as a perfect response.  It is refreshing to see experienced Upworkers take the time to write a comprehensive response and provide sage advice.  Bravo.

Thank you for this. 

I also can't wait to land my first job.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I started out charging 10-20% below what I felt I was worth -- no lower. Took 30 proposals to land my first project, nearly 30 more to land the second. The third project was a second contract with the first client. Took another six months or more to really start gaining momentum. Once I got a JSS and a good track record established, I was able to raise my rate several times over the next couple years.

When first starting out, you need to be more selective about clients than you will ever be again, because one less-than-perfect feedback can really handicap you. As you accumulate more closed contracts, each one weighs less and the stakes go down.

In your field, I think a portfolio is probably necessary, so it's worth your time to create some pieces specifically for your portfolio and/or find some pro bono work that will yield pieces you can display.

This is a long game that takes patience and determination. Good luck!

tta192
Community Member

Start with fixed price projects, and make sure you receive stellar feedback. Whether you bid high or low it won't show on your profile, as it's not evident how much time you actually spent on the task. Any bonuses you receive from the client even after the contract is closed will increase the value of the project. 

If I am a serious client, then the last thing I want is low-ball bidding or an offer of free work.

I am too busy and too thrifty to waste my time and money with that kind of nonsense.

I LIKE saving money. I don't mind working with freelancers who are very affordable. But I don't want people on my team who are working for free or who are low-balling because they are incompetent.

In my niche hourly wages are from 10 to 150$ (more then 80$ per hour is really rare, but exists).

I started with 20$ per hour. I thought it will make me stand up as a guy who is just starting, but values his work and time. I wouldn't recommend working for free or the lowest bid approach. That way you only attract peanuts clients and scammers.

Preston has a history of hiring more than 100 times, if memory serves correctly.  Apologies if I have missed the metric.  His advice from the hiring side is among the most valuable on Upwork.

I have hired far less than he has, yet have substantive experience.  My counsel to those I hire.  Do not embarrass themselves by trying to win work by drastic rate reductions or low-balling.  That demonstrates a lack of confidence in one's self as need this crutch.  More importantly, it attracts people who are price shopping and those clients begin with problems for that very reason.

1. Build your portfolio up by referencing work in your portfolio that is not specifically Upwork project-driven.  There is no 'rule' that indicates portfolio work has to be specifically driven through Upwork projects.

2. Ensure your profile is bullet-proof. If you are an ESL professioal (English as a Second Language), engage a ally or friend or colleague -- or whomever you can find -- to make sure your work is well-written.

3. Reference the new-to-platform circumstances directly in your letter.  "Though I am new to Upwork, I have experience in delivery of XYZ services.  For example, (example A), and (example B) demonstrate my expertise in the areas of work you are focused on.

just words... you get the idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It took me a month to win my first job.  It was a hard month. I still remember it 7 years later.  It is just a memory now.

johnjdavis
Community Member

I recently just landed my first hourly contract. I placed the bid much lower than I normally would have, given that I have 25 years of experience and work professionally for a typically higher rate by ~125%.

Once the client contacted me, they requested that I go even lower. Additionally, they have the ability to go in and change how time is logged AFTER the contract is started. I prefer manual time entry - I work many proprietary projects for a plethora of clients and DO NOT like 3rd party screenshot capabilities on my workstation. I believe in the tenets of client confidentiality and integrity.

Since I've only been on Upwork for a short period, I have already noticed the following, the model is drastically in favor of those that already have an "Upwork Success Rate" next to their name, despite whatever experience the freelancer may have outside of Upwork. Secondly, the pass-thru rate (i.e. the Upwork "cut," is exorbitantly high). Lastly, clients are looking for elite-level services at rock-bottom rates.

Aside from those issues, the Upwork interface and UX are aesthetically pleasing and intuitive. Kudos to the dev team! I really like the operating environment. If we could somehow iron out the virtual monopolies by the Carnegie and Rockefeller freelancers that got in early on to the Upwork Industrial Revolution, maybe then we could have more merit/expertise based proposal/bid winning.

Just my thoughts -

I got my first job within a couple of weeks of signing up; however, I'm in a specific niche  and  came in as an expert. I did start at a lower rate, $25/hr, but that wasn't an attempt to underbid, I just hadn't done a lot of thinking about what my rate should be. After I completed my first job, I increased my rate. I've increased my rate a number of times since I started in late 2017 because I'm at capacity and getting new offers.  I'm expecting to increase my rates again later this year. 

I do think there is something to slightly discounting your rate to win the first gig and get a good review, since we all know how much having even just one UW job on your profile looks to clients. But subjecting yourself to less than a livable wage is shooting yourself in the foot. 

aziz_92
Community Member

About 3 weeks after I signed up. I did low-bid, although in hindsight i think it wouldn't have mattered. I was hired because the client was looking for someone nearby.

Since then I've never left a low-bid.You want clients that don't question or haggle with your hourly rate. Even if I got my hourly rate after arguing and haggling with a client, that's not the type of client I want.

iaabraham
Community Member

A few days after I signed up on Upwork. I kid you not. I think I bid averagely, and just got lucky. Also, this was back when the site was oDesk --- a time when we had many connects / proposal attempts available to us.

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

A few days after I signed up on Upwork. I kid you not. I think I bid averagely, and just got lucky. Also, this was back when the site was oDesk --- a time when we had many connects / proposal attempts available to us.

Happened to me too. But I think I would now ask the question: "How long do you have to wait before you land your next job"! 

I believe both of those questions, a) How long before you got your first job and b) how long before you got your next one --  depend on a few factors.

New to Upwork is a given. But are you fairly good at what you do? Do you - most importantly - have samples to show clients that you ARE good at what you do? The answer to these will have great weight towards answering the original questions. This, and did you read how to make a professional profile to show clients exactly what you know?

There are a number of steps to take prior to hunting your first gig here, no matter what you do. I've been around since well before Elance closed (some of you know JUST how long that is - keep the beak closed ROFL!) Here are some tips from an ole faht who tech-writes:

1) Work on your profile like it's the end of days and you know who is gonna read it.

2) Get some samples together. You need at least three.

3) Bid wisely. If the gig indicates that the rate is low BUT guarantees 5 stars, do it. I did.

4) Immediately up your rate - a bit. Continue this until your rate is where you know it should be. I'm still in this process.

5) Be totally honest with clients. If there's something you don't know, advise them. They'll appreciate you the more for it. If you're hourly, make sure you're really working those hours - delete a few if Fido had a stroke or whatever. Again, BE HONEST. 

And that's it. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths