🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » How we define a good design? To what metrics...
Page options
Community Member

How we define a good design? To what metrics we measure it?

Just wondering whether the goal of good design is to look laboured and desperate or it's to appear effortless.

I believe**Edited for Community Guidelines** is completely open to interpretation. In everyday life, I enjoy balance and do my best to avoid tension. In design however, the opposite is true. Balance and tension are two opposing aspects that keeps the viewers attention.

Please share your thoughts as well.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamtcooper
Community Member

Unus,

As a Marketing Expert, great design is when it assists in the selling process of a client's products and services. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
williamtcooper
Community Member

Unus,

As a Marketing Expert, great design is when it assists in the selling process of a client's products and services. Have a great day!

Absolutely right William. As an editorial design, I always try to create layouts that are compelling and dynamic, in addition to being legible and clear. Enjoy your day 🙂

8467c28e
Community Member

Defining what makes a good design can be a subjective and complex topic. However, there are some general principles and metrics that can help evaluate the effectiveness of a design.

One key metric is functionality. A good design should meet its intended purpose and be user-friendly. A design may look beautiful, but if it's not functional or doesn't serve its intended purpose, it may not be considered a good design.

Another metric is aesthetic appeal. A good design should be visually pleasing and communicate its intended message or brand effectively. This can include aspects such as color choice, typography, layout, and overall visual impact.

Additionally, a good design should be adaptable and have longevity. It should be able to withstand the test of time and not become outdated quickly. It should also be adaptable for different contexts or platforms.

Regarding your question about whether good design should appear labored or effortless, I believe that it can depend on the context and intended message of the design. In some cases, a more intricate or detailed design may be appropriate to convey a sense of craftsmanship or attention to detail. In other cases, a more minimalist or simple design may be more effective in communicating a clear message. Ultimately, the goal of a good design is to effectively communicate its intended message while meeting the needs and preferences of its target audience.

In terms of your point about balance and tension, I agree that these can be important elements in creating a visually engaging design. A design that is too balanced or static may not capture the viewer's attention, while a design that is too chaotic may be overwhelming. Striking a balance between these elements can help create a visually dynamic and engaging design.

Thanks for your response Ukto. I agree, a good design should be functional that conveys the message clearly in addition to being dynamic and aesthetic. And yes, it varies from project to project, whether it should be intricate or minimal. But longevity is difficult to achieve while design trends are rapidly changing with the passage of time. I would like to ask you to please spare a moment ot check out my portfolio **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Learning Paths