🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Hurricane Florence: Mass evacuation from 'sto...
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Hurricane Florence: Mass evacuation from 'storm of a lifetime'

“Forecasters say the storm poses such a threat because it is expected to slow down and hover for nearly three days over the Carolina coast, before dipping south towards Georgia.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45499234

"Certa bonum certamen"
50 REPLIES 50
colettelewis
Community Member

@Ravindra B wrote:

“Forecasters say the storm poses such a threat because it is expected to slow down and hover for nearly three days over the Carolina coast, before dipping south towards Georgia.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45499234

I'm listening to live news - and it is not good. Apart from the hurricane itself, storm surge and flooding are going to be life threatening. People are being begged to leave. 

Everyone I know near the beach along the path has left.  Even my ex had enough sense to leave.  Storms like Florence and Katrina are truly terrifying.  All you can do is leave and hope you  have something to return to.  And you need to plan to stay away for a while because people who come back early just get in the way.  (After Katrina, we were actually under a civil evacuation and not permitted to return.  Military posted at the main roads to keep you out)

allenwatson23
Community Member

Thought I would share a photo from Surfside Beach, just south of Myrtle Beach. Those who haven't evacuated are boarding up. A few stores are still open, including a local Piggly Wiggly. There are a few reasons I'm staying, but I'm also very prepared. I worked EMS for a long time and will be returning to duty for a bit. 

I'll check in as long as I have power! 

Dm6dUSiX0AA1xi7.jpg

Take care and be safe.  I suspect your EMS talents will be much needed and appreciated.  Hope you will be in location with other people when Florence hits.  No fun getting stuck alone!

Thanks for sharing the update and the picture. The forecast is indeed scary. Please, do whatever it takes to stay safe!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Evac orders are being heeded - which is good.  Charleston, much of which is below sea level, and along both North and South Carolina coasts.

It seems Forence has decided to stall directly above us - wind and torrential rains predicted for days.  Power outages are assumed .....

It will be interesting, to say the least. Stay safe!

And you, Allen.  Kudos on your EMT background and willingness to stay to help others!!

I know staying dry is out of the question but stay safe.

Wendy, have you broken into those snacks yet?

Mary, how goes the wine? 

Regardless-PLEASE stay safe!  Thinking of you and those that may be negatively impacted.  

Pat, only the wine portion.  🙂  I'm not big on junk food ... so the snacks don't appeal.  They are 'emergency fare' ONLY.  Other than the green apples -

Stay safe. Don't take any chances, Wendy, Mary, and all others likely to be affected by Florence.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Judy Ryan.jpg

well at least it seems that it will be cat 3 instead of cat 5 they were predicting only 12 hours ago.

I hope everyone in its path is safe and well and I also hope it will not interfere with the World Equestrian Games I've been looking forward to for so many months......

Wendy, you nailed it.  1,000 kudos.  Also, I WILL NOT DRINK MY EMERGENCY WINE UNTIL THERE IS AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY.

Exactly Mary ... also applicable to my stash of tequila.  😉  Limes are healthy after all.

Guys, I do realize the severity of Florence - I'm just not the type to panic.  And humor goes a long way in keeping things normal.  That said, I have an email ready to go to all my clients saying "Oops - power outage about to hit thanks to a lady named Florence.  Back to you as soon as possible."

Interactive map running thru the week and updated as things change.  The amount of rain would make Noah jealous -

https://www.windy.com/?35.171,-80.792,5,m:eEXadJL

@Wendy C wrote:

Interactive map running thru the week and updated as things change.  The amount of rain would make Noah jealous -

https://www.windy.com/?35.171,-80.792,5,m:eEXadJL

Wendy, and everyone else in the hurricane's path- be safe, and we hope to see you all again before the end of forty days and nights.Heart

Clearly, this is a really nasty storm.  If you evacuate, your homeowner's insurance may well cover the costs connected with evacuation - hotel bills, food, gas, etc.  Mine even paid for some clothes after Katrina since we had packed for 3 days but were gone for a month.  Keep all your receipts. I think my maximum payment was $2k.

Also, put everything in your refrigerator/ freezer in large garbage bags.  Makes the cleanup after an extended outtage much more tolerable.  Failing that, put Vicks Vapo-Rub under your nose to block the unbelievable smells.

If cell phone services gets crazy - and it will - often you can text more easily that phone.  I learned how to text on a flip phone after Katrina because the phones were a joke.  I was able to contact a friend in Texas who passed messages on for me, too.

Just stuck this on my profile:

HURRICANE FLORENCE & PROBABLE ELECTRIC OUTAGES. Forgive me if I can't get back to you.

Feel free to copy and use if you are in her path.

“Gerst said Hurricane Florence was so enormous, with a width of more than 500 miles (804 kilometres), that he ‘could only capture her with a super wide-angle lens.’”

https://www.sciencealert.com/astronauts-photos-of-hurricane-florence-from-international-space-statio...

"Certa bonum certamen"

Hey all, just checking in from SC. I'm glad the storm has weakened, but the rain is still going to be rough. I took this photo last night on my bike ride to the inlet. For as long as I've been here, it is always so beautiful right before a storm. Doing some EMS work today. I'll check in later.Dm7uyWrXoAENZek.jpg

Be safe, Allen!

It is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing, Allen.  Take care and be safe!

I've been through 8 hurricans and they aren't fun. Stay safe Allen. One of my clients has ran for high ground due to this storm. Thanks for sharing the pic!

Duke Electric is projecting 3/4 of its customers in the Carolinas will lose power due to rains and they could take weeks to repair.

I just stuck this on my profile:

HURRICANE FLORENCE & PROBABLE ELECTRIC OUTAGES. Forgive me if I can't get back to you.

Feel free to copy and use if you are in her path.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/13/hurricane-florence-latest-storm-surge

Wendy, that's a great idea!  Hope you're still and continue to be safe.

Unfortunately some will probably have clients that will still expect them to communicate with them, work on their projects...regardless of the circumstances.  Generally they're the same type of people that if it'd actually happen to them, it'd be an entirely different situation, and they'd be begging for mercy. 

Ain't that the truth, Pat! 

I sent emails to all current clients and to potential ones I'm in discussions with appraising them of the situation ... and every last one of them was terrific.  Nothing but good wishes and let us know when things are back to normal.

Goes to prove never work with people who cause you to get a spiney sense of 'ugh'.

Trying to give Wendy a kudo but keep getting the "mismatched" authentication message.  So now I just have to say "kudos" for knowing how to pick clients!

@Mary W wrote:

Trying to give Wendy a kudo but keep getting the "mismatched" authentication message.  So now I just have to say "kudos" for knowing how to pick clients!

Are you not logged in to Upwork?

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra, I get that message all the time when I'm logged in.

Well, then perhaps the mods or CS can help, Mary.

"Certa bonum certamen"
mtngigi
Community Member

Has anyone heard from Wendy?

@Virginia F wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Okay, that's good to know.

Potentially deadly threats are now lurking in post-hurricane flood waters

“In coming weeks, long after Hurricane Florence's winds and rains have faded, its aftermath will still pose life-threatening hazards: snakes, submerged sharp objects, bacterial infections and disease-carrying mosquitoes.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/health-dangers-in-the-aftermath-of-hurricane-florence

"Certa bonum certamen"

And to add to what Ravindra posted - THE SMELL.  I returned to New Orleans a full month after Katrina and I will never forget the smell of moldy drywall, rotten furniture, disgusting refrigerators and their contents and on and on.  The smell is truly unforgettable.

I knew a doctor who died of septic shock after wading out to move his car.  They think he  may have had a mosquito bite that caused it.  Another doctor I know got tired of waiting for a boat to take him from the hospital to his car, so he took off his shirt and waded through chest-deep water.  Something, either a rat or a snake, bit his chest.

People fall off roofs, cut themselves using power tools that they don't know how to use, break bones - and the Emergency Rooms are understaffed and overwhelmed.

Terrifying 'Rafts' of Stinging Fire Ants Are Now Floating Around After Hurricane Florence

“The raft carries all members of the colony including eggs, larvae, queens, winged ants, and workers, according to Texas A&M University.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/hurricane-florence-flooding-colonies-fire-ants-form-floating-rafts-2018

"Certa bonum certamen"

We get the floating colonies of fire ants every time we have a hard rain.  Nasty and painful.  The bites are like itchy, painful blisters and last for days and days.  Actually, fairly dangerous in large numbers.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths