🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Hurricane Zeta and members
Page options
wendy_writes
Community Member

Hurricane Zeta and members

I just heard from Mary W and, while powerless, she and Stella are fine.

"We are fine. We had major roof damage to the entire apartment complex. We still have no power. Someone is trying to p.m. me on forum stuff and I can't access it. Could someone post on the coffee break but I am fine, although powerless, and will respond when I can. At least it got very cold here today. So at least we're powerless and chili instead of being powerless and smelly. Phone is getting low and not having a car means I have to borrow a car to charge it. Oh well, we'll get through this. We may even get power before Monday. I have a fresh bottle of bourbon and Stella is doing extremely well through all of this. She did however spend the hurricane under my bed which in retrospect was pretty smart. Probably should have joined her."

20 REPLIES 20
petra_r
Community Member

Thanks Wendy, I was just going to post because I haven't had a response from her in 2 days! 

Wendy C wrote:

Someone is trying to p.m. me on forum stuff and I can't access it. "

That was probably me 🙂

colettelewis
Community Member

Wendy C wrote:

"We are fine. We had major roof damage to the entire apartment complex. We still have no power. Someone is trying to p.m. me on forum stuff and I can't access it. Could someone post on the coffee break but I am fine, although powerless, and will respond when I can. At least it got very cold here today. So at least we're powerless and chili instead of being powerless and smelly. Phone is getting low and not having a car means I have to borrow a car to charge it. Oh well, we'll get through this. We may even get power before Monday. I have a fresh bottle of bourbon and Stella is doing extremely well through all of this. She did however spend the hurricane under my bed which in retrospect was pretty smart. Probably should have joined her."

Thank you Wendy. If you get through to her  tell her we are all thinking of her. Tell her she has a place here in Brittany (and my Ziggy will love her Stella!). 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing Wendy, please feel free to pm in case Mary has a concern related to her contracts/clients/proposals. Hope she'll be able to post an update on this thread tomorrow.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Well, we finally got power back at 2 am today.  My son, dog and I gave up yesterday and went to a cheap motel for the night.  (It was across from a Waffle House so we got hot food!  As those in the US know, Waffle House never closes - and this one is right on the beach).  Lots and lots and lots of damage.  Mostly wind damage, ie our roofs and trees, and storm surge damage near the beach and some of the rivers.  The storm was anticipated to be a Category 1 when it got to us, but we had sustained winds of 100 mph which is almost a Cat 3.  I have to say it's been years and years since I went through one this bad.  And of course, the storm came through at night which always makes it seem worse.  We have underground wiring in the apartment complex but three poles broke on the road and three transformers exploded.  The delay was due to the fact that they had to wait for a pole to come from Louisiana (which had 2 bad hurricanes earlier in the same city) and then it took 2 1/2 days to manuever it into place.  It was guys from Texas who came to help our guys that ultimately got it up.  Anyway, came home to power, internet and TV and a truly nasty refrigerator/ freezer.  All taken care of now.

The funniest thing is when the wind ripped the sofft, fasica and roof tiles off my townhouse, all the blown in insulation blew out and it looked like snow out back. Anyway, life goes on and it's just another funny part of 2020, that year that keeps on giving.

Vlad - all was good with my contracts and clients but thanks for offering to help.

ETA: This is why my clients and I communicate by email, phone and text off the platform.  Just saying...

Welcome back, Mary. Takes more than a hurricane to kill us hurricane people.

So glad to hear you're safe! I googled your town and it looks terrifying!!

Welcome back!

She kept on saying she's powerless but still looked forward with optimism.

You proved yourself powerful Mary. 

Glad to hear all is well. Enjoy your visits to the "Awful House" for me 😉 There is sadly no French equivalent.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Wendy C wrote:

Oh man, this is scary.

Mary, glad to read everything is somewhat back to normal ... and that Stella was a trooper.

But Waffle House? Retch ... but hot food and coffee certainly tasted good.

I really think the worst was the lack of hot coffee in the mornings.  My neighbors went out 2 mornings and found gas stations with hot coffee and supplied me but still... And Waffle House is fine for scrambled eggs and bacon, which tasted really, really good.

Stella was a trooper partially because we fed her Benadryl, so now we know it sort of works on her.

LOL - Benedryl and/or doggy-CBD.  The wonder drug for pups 🙂

Mary W wrote:

I really think the worst was the lack of hot coffee in the mornings.  My neighbors went out 2 mornings and found gas stations with hot coffee and supplied me but still... And Waffle House is fine for scrambled eggs and bacon, which tasted really, really good.

Stella was a trooper partially because we fed her Benadryl, so now we know it sort of works on her.

Having a dog during a hurricane is awesome. I bought my dog 2 of those treat balls where they roll them around and treats come out. Also, I just learned the value of coconut oil for dog dental health. Corgis notorioiusly have bad teeth and my dog would never let me brush her teeth. She's 13 now so I fear putting her under for teeth cleaning, but I found the magic of coconut oil and even her breath smells minty.

Jennifer M wrote:

Mary W wrote:

ETA: I should add I am nowhere near hurricanes. 

Having a dog during a hurricane is awesome. I bought my dog 2 of those treat balls where they roll them around and treats come out. Also, I just learned the value of coconut oil for dog dental health. Corgis notorioiusly have bad teeth and my dog would never let me brush her teeth. She's 13 now so I fear putting her under for teeth cleaning, but I found the magic of coconut oil and even her breath smells minty.

This is really good! How do you apply it? I should take my small in to have his teeth cleaned (under anasthetic) - I would rather avoid this ... 

Back to me.  Yesterday, a week late, we lost tv and nternet in the morning.  Got it back for a couple of hours,then it was gone again until this morning.  This is an after-effect of the storm.  Something about a power surge frying wires ultimately.  Anyway, there were at least 100 families involved and it was getting really ugly around here.

Also, there is a possiblity that there will be another storm headed here in a week or so - Eta.  

You can't make this stuff up.

Oh yeah, and my pupply Stella jumped up just as I was leaning over.  I cracked my chin on her head and it is so bruised, I look like I'm growing a little goatee.

Mary W wrote:

Oh yeah, and my pupply Stella jumped up just as I was leaning over.  I cracked my chin on her head and it is so bruised, I look like I'm growing a little goatee.

Oh Mary  - you are not in a good place at the moment. I wish you (and your pup) were a few thousand miles across the pond  and in Brittany, France.  I hope your goatee soon fades (are we allowed a pic?)

Smiley Happy

Wendy C wrote:

Mary, glad to read everything is somewhat back to normal ... and that Stella was a trooper.

But Waffle House? Retch ... but hot food and coffee certainly tasted good.

In my early 20s and in grad school I frequented Waffle House. It was a particularly good hangout when indulging in what is now a legal substance where I live although I no longer indulge in it. 

A goatee, Mary?  Can I express sympathy while LOLing - a lot.

Nichola, Virbac is a  French company as recall.  They make  a Veggie Dent dog chew that works wonders.  I've never had to have a dog's teeth cleaned - and the oldest was almost 18 when he crossed the rainbow bridge. Chewy has the best prices in the US; vets charge an arm and leg.  And too many other places ... I just don't trust the veracity of the product (or any product) they sell.

Nichola - I've been to Paris, Nice, Vence, etc. many years ago.  Brittany sounds wonderful but sadly, not doable.  I do so appreciate the invitation!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths