🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » I demand that Petra...
Page options
versailles
Community Member

I demand that Petra...

I hereby officially and pompously demand that Petra removes the name of Albert Einstein from her quote because I purport that he never said these words.

I demand a removal of the name or a proof that I am wrong!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
23 REPLIES 23
petra_r
Community Member

@Rene K wrote:

I hereby officially and pompously demand that Petra removes the name of Albert Einstein from her quote because I purport that he never said these words.

I demand a removal of the name or a proof that I am wrong!

Feel free to try and sue me.

My brother is friends with his grandson and has been charged with finding out whether I need to remove it.

silw
Community Member

who is william assbless?

versailles
Community Member

@Aron H wrote:

who is william assbless?

William Ashbless, not assbless, how dare you? 

A British Poet, a contemporary of Lord Byron. Very few information is available about him. He married Elizabeth Jacqueline Tichy, went to Egypt and was involved in questionable activities in London.

He wrote The twelve hours of the night and a cookbook.

c9ccb5422c3ab9d5c2248742020d0ce4.jpg

-----------

@Rene K wrote:

@Aron H wrote:

who is william assbless?

William Ashbless, not assbless, how dare you? 

A British Poet, a contemporary of Lord Byron. Very few information is available about him. He married Elizabeth Jacqueline Tichy, went to Egypt and was involved in questionable activities in London.

He wrote The twelve hours of the night and a cookbook.

c9ccb5422c3ab9d5c2248742020d0ce4.jpg

Now we know where T-rump got his hairdo idea from ....

Don't forget On Pirates.

@Phyllis G wrote:

Don't forget On Pirates.

A major work of Ashbless, indeed.

-----------

Happy now?

@Petra R wrote:

Happy now?

The quote was good - you could get round it by putting "attributed to" . . . 🙂

ETA: I am sure there are much later editions, but in my old copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (1991), I am really astonished to see that there is only one quotation by Einstein. I would have thought there would be dozens. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Happy now?

The quote was good - you could get round it by putting "attributed to" . . . 🙂

ETA: I am sure there are much later editions, but in my old copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (1991), I am really astonished to see that there is only one quotation by Einstein. I would have thought there would be dozens. 

There are dozens of quotes that are attributed to Einstein, and in may cases, quite erroneously. I have a list of the most egregious mis-attributions somewhere, but for the moment, I seem to have lost it. I'll rummage through my archives again and post it here when I find it. 

Nonetheless, I have researched the "negative people" quote, and so far I have not found any context for it, or empirical proof that he did actually say it. Then again, Albert Einstein said a great many things about a great many things, and given his perspective on the world and humanity in general, I am inclined to believe that he did utter the words,or at least, words to the effect that negative people conjure up problems for every solution.   

"Well, bless your hearts" - MBW

@Petra R wrote:

Happy now?

I loved the quote.

-----------
creativedigit
Community Member

The story says this quote has first been published on the internet in 2015 when a motivational speaker tweeted it. Doesn't indicate whether Einstein actually said it or not, but if you're curious enough you may reach out and ask.

If I ever add a footer to my settings in the Forum, it will be:

"Albert Einstein never said that!"  – Rene K.

Having now found out more about William Ashbless, I am entranced by him and totally unconcerned by what Einstein did or didn't say. 

@Kim F wrote:

Having now found out more about William Ashbless, I am entranced by him and totally unconcerned by what Einstein did or didn't say. 

I agree!  I've never even heard of him and now I want to know more. (But I have to say I rather like Assbless!) 

As to the quote it's a good one even if Einstein didn't say it. 

@Preston H wrote:

Preston, so good; so very, very good!!!

Is it just me or does anyone else see somewhat of a resemblance between Rene and Assbless?  Oops Ashbless.  

@Preston H wrote:

You may have to change that to "I stand corrected!" - Preston H. 

My thought about this thread: I'm relieved that the poor guy's name wasn't William Assbless. What a terrible name to have. Just imagine young William at school, all the other kids making fun of him.... A total nightmare!

Here's an authentic Albert Einstein* quote:

Twitter is the Devil's playground.

Spoiler
*Albert Einstein is the legal name of actor/comedian/director/writer Albert Brooks

Ye olde storm in a teacup methinks

@Irene B wrote:

Ye olde storm in a teacup methinks

is that more inconsequential than a tempest in a teapot?

That quote is going places, someone just posted it on my facebook feed. einstein.png

Latest Articles
Learning Paths