🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » I dislike earthquakes.
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

I dislike earthquakes.

2 in 2 days. 4.8 and just now 5.3.

Scary stuff but cats say inside house is safer so I trust their instincts.

5.3 feels like a giant lion trying to break out and eat your home. It also sounds like that.

14 REPLIES 14
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Yikes.  Stay safe.  I was in a 1.something in college and that was quite enough for me.

versailles
Community Member

The collapse of the bridge and now earthquakes? 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
digiphics
Community Member

Oh please stay safe. I lived in So.Cal years ago and hated feeling them. The aftershocks make you walk on pins n needles... Never would have thought Italy to be earthquake prone.

And now flash floods. Italy is having a bad time at the moment. I hope the world will retilt and come back to normal. Things are very scary at the moment.

@Nichola L wrote:

And now flash floods. Italy is having a bad time at the moment. I hope the world will retilt and come back to normal. Things are very scary at the moment.

And there's a hungry shark swimming about 🙂 Tourists are certainly getting enough excitement this year.  Hopefully they will all have gone home after the weekend.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stay safe, Petra! 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

We are likely quite safe, we're not right in the area that is likely to get a really big one (although that 5.3 certainly felt big enough) and this building is pretty new with all the earthquake proofing which should allow it to withstand whatever we may get here. Few things fell over, that's all.

It is unnerving though.

And yeah Rene, that bridge thing is terrifying.  It makes you look closer at all the bridges you pass or cross or go under and then you wish you had not looked as close as you did

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

We are likely quite safe, we're not right in the area that is likely to get a really big one (although that 5.3 certainly felt big enough) and this building is pretty new with all the earthquake proofing which should allow it to withstand whatever we may get here. Few things fell over, that's all.

It is unnerving though.

And yeah Rene, that bridge thing is terrifying.  It makes you look closer at all the bridges you pass or cross or go under and then you wish you had not looked as close as you did

In 2005 I was in a 5.8 earth quake that was caused by mining activity. I was in a supermarket when the quake struck, and the sensation of the floor moving coupled with the ceiling falling in, lights going out,  stuff falling from shelves, and people screaming was an experience I hope never to go through again. It was more than unnerving; it was quite frankly, scary as hell. 

Fortunately no one was killed and only a few houses were damaged and/or flattened, but the quake caused large parts of the gold mine the town was built on to collapse, which caused major financial hardship for thouands of people for several years since the town's economy depended on the mine, which is still closed as far as I know.    

@Petra R wrote:

It is unnerving though.

Since our infrastructure in the U.S. is definitely declining, I totally understand regarding bridges.  It's not a pretty picture.

We used to make numerous trips to Florida which included regularly driving over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge-Tampa Bay.  Even though it was always beautiful it was simultaneously rather disconcerting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAJU-_mxhgI

(There's some fishies at the very end.) 

Oh, Petra, I hope you and yours are all OK! Unnerving is not the word I'd use to describe the feeling of being in an earthquake! We lived right on the Humboldt Fault in Peru and our first ever experience with an earthquake was about a 5.5. Just before we humans felt anything, the dog came yapping into our room and jumped on the bed with me. Pokey was followed closely by the maid, "Oh Senora! Tremblor! Tremblor!" My daughters followed Anna, shreiking "Earthquake!" and my spouse came out of the bathroom where he had been trying to insert a contact lens, saying "What the h*** is going on?" The earthquake was over pretty quickly, and there were no aftershocks (that we felt anyway) and no damage to our house or the contents. We later learned that our landlady was so afraid of earthquakes that she had the house built with steel beams placed every three feet in the walls. We worried a lot less after we learned that!

We experienced three more earhquakes in the Philppines and one small one here in Florida, but we're veterans now and they don't faze us anymore,

Anyway, I hope you stay safe!

@Colleen E wrote:

Oh, Petra, I hope you and yours are all OK! Unnerving is not the word I'd use to describe the feeling of being in an earthquake! We lived right on the Humboldt Fault in Peru and our first ever experience with an earthquake was about a 5.5. Just before we humans felt anything, the dog came yapping into our room and jumped on the bed with me. Pokey was followed closely by the maid, "Oh Senora! Tremblor! Tremblor!" My daughters followed Anna, shreiking "Earthquake!" and my spouse came out of the bathroom where he had been trying to insert a contact lens, saying "What the h*** is going on?" The earthquake was over pretty quickly, and there were no aftershocks (that we felt anyway) and no damage to our house or the contents. We later learned that our landlady was so afraid of earthquakes that she had the house built with steel beams placed every three feet in the walls. We worried a lot less after we learned that!

We experienced three more earhquakes in the Philppines and one small one here in Florida, but we're veterans now and they don't faze us anymore,

Anyway, I hope you stay safe!

Colleen, after reading your post the first thing I remembered was "the maid."  Ahhhhhh, now I'm day dreaming about having one.  Short day dream---back to reality! lol!  

LOL! For the most part, it was a luxury, but Anna was 19 years old and although she was a good worker, sometimes it was like having  a second teenage daughter in the house. One I had to pay to do the dishes.

e_luneborg
Community Member

I just arrived back in Bali, and I´m hoping they are done with the aftershocks here. The big one that hit Lombok a couple of weeks ago was a 7, and 80% of all houses on the island collapsed. Hundreds of people died. 

Normally you should stay inside when there´s an earthquake, but here everyone goes outside. The buildings are just not made for these kind of things.

@Petra R wrote:

2 in 2 days. 4.8 and just now 5.3.

Scary stuff but cats say inside house is safer so I trust their instincts.

5.3 feels like a giant lion trying to break out and eat your home. It also sounds like that.

Petra, how did your fishies react?  Most; if not all, critters have exceptional instincts regarding such events.  Supposedly even some are aware weeks in advance.

You and your fur babies take care! 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths