🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » I just need to vent about a client
Page options
vickyinglis13
Community Member

I just need to vent about a client

I have seriously fallen out of love with my client and his project over the past day. 

On submitting my work for our first project milestone, which was exactly as I'd outlined that I'd produce, and without the level of input from him that I'd hoped for based on our prior conversations, I've had several messages back that are just leaving me bristling.

"Did you spell check?  Lots of mistakes" - Yes, and on re-checking I find one technical word which I copy and pasted from his original proposal.

"Quite a few grammatical errors too (quotes example)" - No errors in grammar, and his example is actually correct.

"Is English your first language?"

"I'm disappointed, this isn't what I was hoping for."

"Actually I coudn't read it to be honest."

"Will you correct the gramma?"

Grrr.  The second last is particularly grating.

I have a feeling that he's planning to set me up to pay less than agreed for our milestone, which considering the amount of time he's spent messaging me before and after accepting the project, means my time will be worth very little.  I'm very reluctant to consider the second project milestone after this.  

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

I would get the money for the first milestone and then quit. 

This client does not appreciate your work. I have no interest in working for clients who regard my work as "disappointing."

The client needs to work with someone else and you don't need this.

colettelewis
Community Member

If the milestone is already funded, then he can't pay you less or get a refund unless you agree to it. He could dispute it though. However much you are bristling, rein it in and try to discuss this with the client; suggest a revision of the part that "he can't read". And Ii you haven't already done so, hit the release payment button and definitely do not go ahead with the second milestone. 

Whichever way you look at it, your JSS is probably going to take a hit. When you leave feedback give an honest, professional appraisal, but don't rant. Rants can backfire.  

@Nichola L wrote:

If the milestone is already funded, then he can't pay you less or get a refund unless you agree to it.

It was my understanding that a client could change the amount of a milestone whenever they want - a "partial payment."

Hi Jess,

A client can choose to release a lesser amount. If a client does this and chooses to release a lesser amount, it would present the freelancer with the opportunity to approve a refund of the remaining balance in escrow or to not approve it. Not approving it would then initiate a dispute.

~Nina

@Nina K wrote:

Hi Jess,

A client can choose to release a lesser amount. If a client does this and chooses to release a lesser amount, it would present the freelancer with the opportunity to approve a refund of the remaining balance in escrow or to not approve it. Not approving it would then initiate a dispute.

Yeah, this is where these things get confusing. A "refund" should mean money from the freelancer back to the client. A "refund" from escrow after a partial payment, mutually agreed upon, is not a direct refund from the freelancer, but there doesn't seem to be any distinction. Could we get some more precise language on this?

And with the new developments about how JSS is calculated, and what we have not been told (or have been deliberately misled about...): would this kind of "refund," even if it's not based on dissatisfaction but perhaps a change in the job's scope, count negatively?

(Sorry to hijack an otherwise delightful thread with great advice therein...)

@Nina K wrote:

Hi Jess,

Has this, too recently changed??

If the client releases part of a milestone there is (or was) no "approval" from the freelancer to keep the funds in Escrow. They just stay (or used to stay) in Escrow and can (or could) be applied to the next milestone (The OPs project is a multi-milestone one.!)

The "opportunity to approve a refund of the remaining balance in escrow" ONLY presents itself if the client actually ASKS for the funds back, not when the client releases part of milestone.

allergywriter
Community Member

Now that you've ranted and feel a little better, take a deep breath. Then take a short walk.  When you come back, sit down and compose a note but don't send it.

Assure him that English is your first language and that you willl be happy to use any stylebook he prefers, be it Chicago or AP.

Then offer to correct the part he believes is difficult to read but ask him to point it out and explain why he finds it difficult so you can correct it. Suggest that he just add a comment box next to the section.

Then wait. Don't send. Cool off a bit more then come back and read your proposed message. You may find that it needs a little editing. Then once you are comfortable it is friendly but professional, click send.

All of the advice above is pure gold!  This thread should be saved as a clinic in how to deal with just such a difficult and possibly unreasonable client!

@Janean L wrote:

All of the advice above is pure gold!  This thread should be saved as a clinic in how to deal with just such a difficult and possibly unreasonable client!

It should also be stickied to the top of the Writers & Translators forum.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths