Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I've discovered Smoothies

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
21 of 33

I live in a world where there is a Smoothie store every couple of blocks.  Smoothy King was invented in New Orleans.  I usually just buy one - although they're getting kinda expensive.  When I make one, I just use an older Oster blender that my son handed down to me years ago.  Works just fine.  Reminds me I have frozen blueberries in the freezer and I should use them in a smoothie soon.  I often add some yogurt.  Also bananas and cocoa powder are pretty awesome in a smoothie.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 33

Petra R wrote:

OK, so maybe I've lived under a rock but somehow the whole smoothie thing had bypassed me until now. I didn't even really know they were "a thing"

The other day, faced with all the tangerines  (small but super intense flavour) on the tree in the garden and the shameful memory of so many of them going to waste last year, I thought I had better do "something" with them before they all start falling off the tree again.

Frozen segments of three small tangerines

3 fresh small tangerines straight from the tree

little bit of water

blitzed until it becomes a semi-frozen smooth, frothy yummy drinkable slush

I AM ADDICTED

Ordered a proper blender from Amazon (My handheld one struggles with the frozen fruit) and looking forward to experimenting with other fruit and "stuff"

Petra,

Google "Orange Julius" if you've never heard of it. They're usually found in malls ... haven't seen or been to one in ages, though. At any rate, you may want to try this variation of an Orange Julius with your tangerines.

Tangerine Julius.jpg

Community Guru
23 of 33

I had totally forgotten about Orange Julius.  They were great for hangovers --- or so I've heard.

Community Guru
24 of 33

Mary W wrote:

I had totally forgotten about Orange Julius.  They were great for hangovers --- or so I've heard.

They were good, weren't they? Didn't know about the hangover thing ... doesn't seem like orange juice and milk would do much good.
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
25 of 33

Back in the day it certainly did.  And beat the normal go to cure of a burger and fries ... except possibly for In-&-Out fare.

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
26 of 33

My hangover fare was a bean burrito. Something about the beans, cheese and warm bread made you feel better right away.

We used to put OJ, an egg and vanilla in a blender with ice and call it Orange Julius

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
27 of 33

Thanks so much for the "Julius" idea! I always though citrus makes milk curdle! Lemon does.

I will try it (once I bought milk which I gave up a year ago as I only used it in coffee anyway!)

I'll also try it with almond milk (which I will try to make from scratch!)

Today I made tangerine slushy at 5 am which I drunk across the day, then made my first EVER spinach with cream cheese and some prawns for dinner.

That's all and I am really full!

Community Guru
28 of 33

As a recall, Orange Julius would add a raw egg if you asked...

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
29 of 33

Petra,  you are making me hungry while making yourself super healthy.

Community Guru
30 of 33

Mary W wrote:

As a recall, Orange Julius would add a raw egg if you asked...

I think there's a Julius recipe that uses whipped egg whites ... I'll post if I can find it.

ETA: Yep ... found this Q&A: What is the powder used in Orange Julius?

The Orange Julius is a mixture of orange juice, milk, powdered egg whites, sweetener, vanilla flavoring, and ice.

And here's the copycat recipe: https://topsecretrecipes.com/orange-julius-orange-julius-copycat-recipe.html

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS