🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » I've got an idea
Page options
richardsmith94
Community Member

I've got an idea

It's only just occurred to me, but perhaps Upwork should consider charging connects for posting in the Community discussion rooms?

Maybe not every post, if someone was to just ask a general question looking for help, that would cost nothing, but if they were to make a complaint, that would be automatically 2 connects and if they were to complain about connects, well, that obviously costs them 6 (maybe more?).

Again, if someone was to provide an answer to the question, they wouldn't be charged anything (actually, if their answer was accepted as a solution, they would be GIVEN credits). But if, for instance. they were to simply reply to inform the OP (and thereby anyone else that read the thread) that they (implied or otherwise) were very successful on Upwork and thereby being of no help at all to the OP, then that would also cost 6 connects.

I havn't thought this through completely yet, but there are many variations that could be applied here, length of post, subject matter etc that could improve the site's revenue stream.

44 REPLIES 44

Richard S wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Richard S wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Richard S wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

That's an interesting thought Richard. Would the Coffee Break forum be exempt or would you also charge for posting humorous comments? I can see the revenue potential there thanks to the wittiness of our frequent posters... 🙂

Noooo! Humorous comments are deinitely exempt Vladimir Smiley Happy

OK, I can accept the absence of a comma before the vocative, and of terminal punctuation, as perhaps a bit of self-deprecating humor. But even with two years of Latin, I'm missing the pun you may have been aiming at with "deinitely."

Goodness Douglas, everyone told me that making fun of another FL was against Community Guidelines and replies here were just 'professional banter', where the standard of writing one would use in their professional work do not apply and yet...this is apparently ok with you and your fellow 'Gurus'? 

Get over it.  You have a nice dog so start again. 

I have no idea what this even means and rather unhelpfully addresses none of the points raised in my post, which was entirely expected from you (btw there's an unecessary spacing between 'it' and 'You').

You made a light hearted post, it got, what I believe is a light hearted  response.   I am from the US Midwest so my grasp of English is  probably worse than Rene's so I can't even see the grave insults that he threw at you.

From that ignorant point of view, he gave you at best a little ribbing, people that understood it must have thought it was funny, and you went OFF.

I also re-read the community guidelines, I dont' see anything about making fun of another freelancer.

No. My kudo to Michael was a moment of geekdom because he used "vocative" in a sentence. Seriously, I'm that much of a word nerd. Also, had that been his response to one of my threads, I would have LOL'd as I viewed it as humorous and not an attack. 

But, I can appreciate that, after having one's post removed (or edited), and then other Flers sort of drag you through the coals about it, a tinge (or more) of sensitivity may have taken root.

Kat C wrote:

No. My kudo to Michael was a moment of geekdom because he used "vocative" in a sentence. Seriously, I'm that much of a word nerd. Also, had that been his response to one of my threads, I would have LOL'd as I viewed it as humorous and not an attack. 

But, I can appreciate that, after having one's post removed (or edited), and then other Flers sort of drag you through the coals about it, a tinge (or more) of sensitivity may have taken root.

I did wonder if there was history here I was no aware.  I have spent way too much time on here lately but it is still easy to miss!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread for Community Guidelines

We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
thebookdoc
Community Member

OMG, Richard. I actually like that a lot. Enforcing a positive community. It would tend to encourage people to participate in a beneficial way.

I think, actually, this could go a bit further. There should be a reward system. Say a kudos would get a credit for a 'free' post. An 'Answer' could get 6 or so. In that way people retain a reason for contribution.

I'm starting to think this can be brilliant and change the entire atmosphere!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths