Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got an idea

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
21 of 45

Lena E wrote:

Lol I just threw one away the other day. I over watered a succulent Smiley Sad 

The secret to happy houseplants, much like the secret to being happy with the forums, is to ignore them.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 45

Lena E wrote:

(ETA: I'm looking for those "dead stick" posts! Smiley Wink)

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 45

Lena E wrote:

Whenever I feel like giving up on my taking care of anything, I think of Lena's plant murder.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 45

Jennifer M wrote:

Lena E wrote:

Whenever I feel like giving up on my taking care of anything, I think of Lena's plant murder.

Oh, I think you are being a little harsh - more involuntary plantslaughter perhaps? There was no intention to murder the plant I am sure. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 45

Nichola L wrote:

Oh, I think you are being a little harsh - more involuntary plantslaughter perhaps? There was no intention to murder the plant I am sure. 

She's a serial plant murderer though. No feelings of guilt after murdering the plants. I'm sure a good lawyer could get it knocked down to plantslaughter and community service. THE PLANTS DID NOTHING WRONG, LENA.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 45

I belong to Houseplant Killers Anonymous....HKA....Hi, my name is Irene, and I am a houseplant killer. 

This is actually strange because I love gardening and my outside garden is filled with flowers during the summer. Houseplants...not so much.. Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Richard L Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
27 of 45

Irene,

House plants are much more difficult than outdoor gardening. I have about 60 right now and catering to their personalities is a bit of trial and error. Some like drainage, some don't. Some like getting spritzed, some don't. Some like direct sun, etc... I learned a lot of things, like you can never put any plant out in a black pot on a Spanish balcony in the summer. I don't know if there is a name for that, but it is the opposite of root rot...Maybe root fry? The plants actually cook in the dirt. It doesn't help that the lady on the sixth floor has buggy plants and she sweeps the debris from her plants and birds into the wind where they collect on my balcony. 

Community Guru
Richard L Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
28 of 45

Lena,

Repotting is often worth a try. Your soil is important. I keep a lot of succulents here in Spain and I've saved a few things that looked departed. 

When repotting, wash out the roots and trim the rot. Place in well-draining sandy potting mix and NOT rich soil. If the whole of the root system seems damned, just cut the whole thing off and try rooting! Depending on the plant, this will be done in different ways. Usually just jamming the stem into a pot of regular potting soil can work. If you do it in a clear pot you can see when it is rooted. When you have success, get it out of the rich soil wash off the roots again and get it in cactus mix. 

Did I win any credits?

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
29 of 45

Vladimir G wrote:

That's an interesting thought Richard. Would the Coffee Break forum be exempt or would you also charge for posting humorous comments? I can see the revenue potential there thanks to the wittiness of our frequent posters... Smiley Happy

Noooo! Humorous comments are deinitely exempt Vladimir Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
30 of 45

Richard S wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

That's an interesting thought Richard. Would the Coffee Break forum be exempt or would you also charge for posting humorous comments? I can see the revenue potential there thanks to the wittiness of our frequent posters... Smiley Happy

Noooo! Humorous comments are deinitely exempt Vladimir Smiley Happy

OK, I can accept the absence of a comma before the vocative, and of terminal punctuation, as perhaps a bit of self-deprecating humor. But even with two years of Latin, I'm missing the pun you may have been aiming at with "deinitely."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS