Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

I will pay you $2/hour.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
21 of 29

Scott B wrote:

Not really clear what you are saying frankly but let's take this to US only. If someone takes a job in a small town in Mississippi and someone takes the same job in San Francisco, is it the expectation that the wage should be the same? 

I'm just trying to say that there is not an universal way of considering money. Maybe the pleasure of paying someone what you consider to be a fair price not only from your point of view but also from his/her point of view is something you have never experienced. 

I would expect the cost of living in small town Mississipi and San Francisco not to be that different. For instance, people living in a small town don't have access to public transportation and have to have cars, which is usually not the case in large towns (at least in Europe). Then I don't expect a national brand to have different prices for different parts of the country. And I don't think it's up to the client to decide how much to pay for a job on the basis of how much he PRESUMES the freelancer's expenses are.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
22 of 29

Luce N wrote:

I would expect the cost of living in small town Mississipi and San Francisco not to be that different. For instance, people living in a small town don't have access to public transportation and have to have cars, which is usually not the case in large towns (at least in Europe). Then I don't expect a national brand to have different prices for different parts of the country. And I don't think it's up to the client to decide how much to pay for a job on the basis of how much he PRESUMES the freelancer's expenses are.


The point is that the client is indicating a price they are looking to pay. They aren't presuming anything. However, on the freelancer side, not everyone will look at that same price the same way which is my point. Cost of living and purchasing power obviously plays into that. If you wouldn't expect the cost of living to be that different between San Francisco and small town in say Mississippi, then I don't know what to say other than provide the following graphic:

 

CoL.JPG

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
23 of 29

Yes, but people in Jackson, MS, have more health issues than San Franciscans. For some reason.

 

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
24 of 29

They must be close to pesticide users.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
25 of 29

Scott B wrote:

CoL.JPG

Thank you for the graphic, I love this type of information. However, I can't use it as it's too vague. What is the source, when was is published, how was the research of the figures done, are the figures in the 2nd and 3rd columns in dollars? Are these expenses per day, per week, per month?

 

One thing that I can use is the comparison between housing expenses. In France too, the difference between housing cost in large cities and elsewhere is amazing. 

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
26 of 29

Luce N wrote:

Thank you for the graphic, I love this type of information. However, I can't use it as it's too vague. What is the source, when was is published, how was the research of the figures done, are the figures in the 2nd and 3rd columns in dollars? Are these expenses per day, per week, per month?

 

One thing that I can use is the comparison between housing expenses. In France too, the difference between housing cost in large cities and elsewhere is amazing. 


https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/san-francisco-ca/jackson-ms/275000

 

I thought I'd share a real-word personal experience here. Around 2003 the company I was working for asked me to move from Seattle to Los Angeles. At the time this was to be a lateral move. I wound up doing it but only after a salary negotiation. Why? Seattle is a major city but Washington State does not have state taxes while California does. At the time housing in So. Cal was also higher (not so much anymore). So had I of taken this move it would have resulted in a pretty good pay cut due to state tax mostly but also sales tax (at the time) and real estate. Here I am talking about two West Coast US cities which doesn't even come close to speaking of the differences from say a San Fran to Jackson or compared to a less wealthy country. 

 

I am honestly not even sure what the argument here actually is. It cannot be that $1 goes equally as far in every city of the world? That cannot be argued, can it? My point again is that we tend to look at pay through the prism of our own working and living situation. That just doesn't work on a global platform.  What's an insult to you might put food on the table for a week somewhere else. 

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
27 of 29

Scott B wrote:

I am honestly not even sure what the argument here actually is. It cannot be that $1 goes equally as far in every city of the world? That cannot be argued, can it? My point again is that we tend to look at pay through the prism of our own working and living situation. That just doesn't work on a global platform.  What's an insult to you might put food on the table for a week somewhere else. 


This is exactly what I'm trying to say. If someone is aware that what he's going to pay could put food on someone's the table for a week, it's a shame to encourage that person to decide that that someone only deserve crumbs.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
28 of 29

I live in true southern Mississippi, on the coast.  Jackson is expensive compared to where I live - and not nearly as pretty.  

 

Bless your hearts for picking on us poor, sick people in Mississippi.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
29 of 29

Mary W wrote:

I live in true southern Mississippi, on the coast.  Jackson is expensive compared to where I live - and not nearly as pretty.  

 

Bless your hearts for picking on us poor, sick people in Mississippi.


No one is  picking on you, Mary. I grew up in the Midwest which would also pale in comparison to say the cost of living in San Francisco or NYC. Being in a small town doesn't make one poor. Taking that same wage from Jackson or Fargo or Madison or Butte, etc. to San Francisco though would certainly curtail your purchasing power tremendously. Also love the comment that Jackson is expensive compared to where you live. Makes the point perfectly. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS