🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » If We Receive a Message From Aliens, Should W...
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

If We Receive a Message From Aliens, Should We Delete It Without Reading?

“To put it plainly, if humanity were to receive a message from an extraterrestrial civilisation right now, it would be the single greatest event in the history of civilisation.

“But according to a new study, such a message could also pose a serious risk to humanity. Drawing on multiple possibilities that have been explored in detail, they consider how humanity could shield itself from malicious spam and viruses.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-argues-that-if-we-receive-a-message-from-aliens-maybe-we-shou...

"Certa bonum certamen"
33 REPLIES 33
reinierb
Community Member

The whole is idea slightly preposterous...

Given the fact that no extraterrestrial civilization is known to exist within at least 500 light years from us, I don't think we have much to worry about. 

Moreover, the very idea that an advanced intelligent alien race would be using radio waves to communicate over long distances is just silly. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so if an alien race did send a radio message our way, it is very likely that their descendants will have forgotten all about it by the time the message reaches us.

As for crashing our computers- wouldn't  they have to send someone here to learn all the common programming languages in use today first, in order to be able to produce virusses?

The whole thing is just too silly for (more) words...  

@Reinier B wrote:

Given the fact that no extraterrestrial civilization is known to exist within at least 500 light years from us, I don't think we have much to worry about. 

Hmm - just because something is unknown doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. However, the only word I would argue with in Ravindra's quote is the word "civilization". I think we have a long way to go.

As to crashing our computers - I think earthkind will do that all by itself without any extraterrestrial intervention. 😄

@Nichola L wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

Hmm - just because something is unknown doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. However, the only word I would argue with in Ravindra's quote is the word "civilization". I think we have a long way to go.

As to crashing our computers - I think earthkind will do that all by itself without any extraterrestrial intervention. 😄

I totally agree with you about the "civilization" bit...

As for alien civilizations- technology has developed to the point where atmospheres similar to ours - or the lack of them -  around rocky planets can be inferred out to a distance of about 500 light years. Of course, life could have developed on a planet with an ammonia, sulfur, or even methane atmosphere, but then again, what would the inhabitants of that planet want with our planet, which has an atmosphere that is toxic to them?  

However, we cannot say that we have found all the rocky planets within that distance, but even if we did find an intelligent, advanced civilization within that distance, the distance itself would probably be our best defense. 

- This planet has oxygen, water and minerals. We could harness those ressources. What do you think, Zorg?

- Is there any life?

- Well..., yes, carbon-based. Many species, but one seems to be the most evolved.

- Let's have a look.

- What are they doing?

- Dunno.

- Wait, look, ... seriously?

- Look, look...

- Are those guys for real?

- Oh frak!

- Ok, let's find another planet to invade.

- Yeah.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
versailles
Community Member

-----------
computerhxr
Community Member

@Daniel C wrote:

Foreign entities could be sending messages from parallel dimensions using a subquantum kinetic messaging system where the distance would be infinitesimal.  Infecting subatomically from the inside-out.  Reading would not be necessary because receiving would do the trick.  Resistance is futile.

You mean something like shouting at us through a worm hole? Using a quantumfied bullhorn perhaps?  

@Daniel C wrote:

Foreign entities could be sending messages from parallel dimensions using a subquantum kinetic messaging system where the distance would be infinitesimal.  Infecting subatomically from the inside-out.  Reading would not be necessary because receiving would do the trick.  Resistance is futile.

[OT - nice to see you back!]

Whoever is interested in this topic should have a look at John Michael Godier's YouTube channel. He's a SciFi author who loves to play with different ideas about E.T. life among other things.

John Michael Godier on YouTube

-----------

Some weeks, I think that aliens are contacting us through Upwork...

@Mary W wrote:

Some weeks, I think that aliens are contacting us through Upwork...

You may be right about that, but I think that some Upwork clients are actually aliens, sent here to test humanity's collective intelligence by running scams on the internet, and in particular, on freelancing sites.

Going by the number of complaints we see about people being scammed here, we are clearly failing the IQ test. 

@Daniel C wrote:

Hi Nichola!!!  How are you?

"You mean something like shouting at us through a worm hole? Using a quantumfied bullhorn perhaps?"

@Reinier, more like strings than a wormhole.  They can transfer meta-information; not like a hole that things can pass though.  Same effects.

@ @Daniel, the holes I was talking about are supposedly the points in space where dimensions meet. For instance, some authorities hold that the Eridanus Void (a several-billion-light year wide depopulated area in the constellation Eridanus) is such a point. If it is, this giant hole in space woud make a great bullhorn, since there is almost no ambient radiation in it. 

I don't get why everyone thinks messages from extraterrestrials would be that dangerous or that complicated.

What if they're just asking for directions or trying to order take out?

@Renata S wrote:

I don't get why everyone thinks messages from extraterrestrials would be that dangerous or that complicated.

Travel a billion miles for a McDonalds cheese burger?Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Or a vindaloo Cat Very Happy

And think about it. Can you imagine what it's like trying to get a 20-megaton spacecraft through a drivethrough? 

They might just need our help. 

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

And think about it. Can you imagine what it's like trying to get a 20-megaton spacecraft through a drivethrough? 

I don't think so. Entities who can build and operate 20-megaton spacecraft would hardly need help from a race that can barely get to their own Moon. Smiley Frustrated

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

I don't think so. Entities who can build and operate 20-megaton spacecraft would hardly need help from a race that can barely get to their own Moon. Smiley Frustrated

There you go with the assumptions again!

Just because a civilization has the wherewithal to build and operate a 20-megaton spacecraft, doesn't mean the same civiliation lacks the wherewithal to back the 20-megaton spacecraft into a post. 

I know a couple of cancer researchers who smoke. Why would extraterrestrials be any more consistent or any less frustrating? 

@Renata S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Just because a civilization has the wherewithal to build and operate a 20-megaton spacecraft, doesn't mean the same civiliation lacks the wherewithal to back the 20-megaton spacecraft into a post. 

I know a couple of cancer researchers who smoke. Why would extraterrestrials be any more consistent or any less frustrating? 

Well, if they were clever about it, they would simply remain in a parking orbit while they detach and send smaller shuttle that can be backed into a tight parking spot if the drivethrough is too busy.  

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Well, if they were clever about it, they would simply remain in a parking orbit while they detach and send smaller shuttle that can be backed into a tight parking spot if the drivethrough is too busy.  

Or they could just beam up the burgers!

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Guys, we're getting into another one of those "trope" things they talked about in the article. One of the biggest tropes in sci-fi is that extraterrestrials are necessarily going to be smarter and more advanced than we are. That's the only way humans can handle that "they found us first" idea. And it follows that if they've got these great technologies, they're obviously going to be using them in sensible/intelligent ways. In order to advance sci-fi as we know it, I think we're going to have to get a bit beyond that.

I don't think I need to remind anyone that one of the primary uses of this amazing technology we have to share information, the internet, is  the dissemination of cat videos.  I'm not bashing that per se because I like cute kitties as much as the next person, but most days I think we could be putting this incredible power to better use. 

So I think I'm giving Ravi a point for the burger beam-up idea.  

Edited to add
N.B. The current most hotly debated op-ed piece published in the New York Times is a critique of yoga pants.

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Guys, we're getting into another one of those "trope" things they talked about in the article. One of the biggest tropes in sci-fi is that extraterrestrials are necessarily going to be smarter and more advanced than we are. That's the only way humans can handle that "they found us first" idea. And it follows that if they've got these great technologies, they're obviously going to be using them in sensible/intelligent ways. In order to advance sci-fi as we know it, I think we're going to have to get a bit beyond that.

I don't think I need to remind anyone that one of the primary uses of this amazing technology we have to share information, the internet, is  the dissemination of cat videos.  I'm not bashing that per se because I like cute kitties as much as the next person, but most days I think we could be putting this incredible power to better use. 

So I think I'm giving Ravi a point for the burger beam-up idea.  

While I agree with you that the internet could be put to better use, a great many others will not. After all, it takes the ability to read, to think critically, and to have at least a basic idea of what goes on the world to differentiate between proper/useful information and vacuous "viral content".

So, what this means in practice is that at least half of the people who now access the internet on a daily basis would no longer be able to do so, simply because they would not be able to read or understand anything. 

@Renata S wrote:

What if they're just asking for directions or trying to order take out?

@Ravindra wrote:

Frankly I wouldn't even travel 1 mile for that.  However, for a Bub's burger a billion might be a possibility.  For those of you who have never had one---OMG!!!

@Pat M wrote:
@Renata S wrote:

What if they're just asking for directions or trying to order take out?

@Ravindra wrote:

Frankly I wouldn't even travel 1 mile for that.  However, for a Bub's burger a billion might be a possibility.  For those of you who have never had one---OMG!!!

@Pat M Just what I was thinking. Depending on the strength of the craving, I don't think a billion miles would be a problem with respect to the #55 (chicken pad thai), the #11 ( chicken and aubergine), or the seafood garlic pepper at Cuisine Bangkok.  With the exception of Sundays because I can never figure out what their Sunday hours actually are. Lots of parking for the spacecraft.

Renata posted:

LOVE IT, Renata!Robot Happy

Mary, just some weeks? lol

resultsassoc
Community Member

The greatest single event? Hardly. When President Obama visited the Berlin Wall, he declared that its fall was almost as momentous as his own election. Aliens would probably rank third.

Seriously, unless they planned to interfere with US elections, I'd give them a pass.

renata101
Community Member

Ravi,
After pondering it somewhat, on the whole, I think we should treat these like any other incoming messages from unknown sources:

1) Don't click the links

2) Don't open any attachments

3) Politely decline any request to send large sums of cash via Western Union.

Don't try this at home: 

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_this_is_what_happens_when_you_reply_to_spam_email

It could well go like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdm0lm9_p7U

@Craig G wrote:

It could well go like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdm0lm9_p7U

@Craig G  LOL. I like how it ends.  

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Well, some days I feel like an alien who landed here.

Any U.S. News Channel: Death, destruction, complaining, screaming at the sky.

Social Media: Troll, troll, troll, snappy comment, troll, troll...."but muh BitCoin", etc.

Me: What the heck are these humanzees doing to themselves and to each other?

Oy vey. 

undefined:

Well, some days I feel like an alien who landed here.

Any U.S. News Channel: Death, destruction, complaining, screaming at the sky.

Social Media: Troll, troll, troll, snappy comment, troll, troll...."but muh BitCoin", etc.

Me: What the heck are these chimpanzees doing to themselves and to each other?

Oy vey. 

I know the feeling. 

I don't own a smart phone and I'm not on any social media, so when I hear my kids (and other people) talk about the latest "big thing", I can only wonder if that (the latest big thing" is the best we can come up with. What would the aliens think of us, I wonder. 

I feel like an alien, especially on social media.  Humans are strange creatures.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths