🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Independent time tracking tool like the Upwor...
Page options
zoe-barnett
Community Member

Independent time tracking tool like the Upwork one

Hello... I'm a freelance editor, and I'm looking for a lightweight tool like the Upwork time tracker that I can use to track projects and time for non-Upwork jobs. I'd be able to start it off, add a memo, and have it log the time I've spent on different projects each day.

I'm on a MacBook with MacOS. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so free or cheap are better options.

Does anyone have any ideas? How do you track your project time on a budget?

Zoe

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Zoe B wrote:

I'm on a MacBook with MacOS. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so free or cheap are better options.

Have you looked at Toggl?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Zoe B wrote:

Have you looked at Toggl?

I use Top Tracker, which is free and easy to use.  There is even a component to take screen shots but I don't use that part.  

Mary W wrote:

I use Top Tracker, which is free and easy to use.  There is even a component to take screen shots but I don't use that part.  

This looks good too. I'm starting with Toggl, and will look at this next.

Thank you!

Toggl looks good, and wow, that’s a fantastic resource. Thank you!
zoe-barnett
Community Member

It's been a while, but I wanted to round this off in case anyone with the same question lands here.

I gave both Toggl and TopTracker a trial, and found TopTracker has a slightly easier interface, though Toggl still did everything I wanted it to. I didn't use the screenshot features, just the standard time tracking with projects and activities. I didn't use the invoicing features of either tool.

So basically, I'm going with TopTracker!

I've also just installed RescueTime, which fulfils a different need (tracking all laptop use, not just project work). I've found it helpful for identifying admin time that I I haven't tracked through Upwork or TopTracker.

Zoe B wrote:

It's been a while, but I wanted to round this off in case anyone with the same question lands here.

I gave both Toggl and TopTracker a trial, and found TopTracker has a slightly easier interface, though Toggl still did everything I wanted it to. I didn't use the screenshot features, just the standard time tracking with projects and activities. I didn't use the invoicing features of either tool.

So basically, I'm going with TopTracker!

I've also just installed RescueTime, which fulfils a different need (tracking all laptop use, not just project work). I've found it helpful for identifying admin time that I I haven't tracked through Upwork or TopTracker.

Have you checked Clockify.me? That also covers your needs as you describe them. I tried RescueTime but hate it because it interrupted my research because I was on "leisure" pages and the reports were totally messed up because of this.

Have you checked Clockify.me? That also covers your needs as you describe them. I tried RescueTime but hate it because it interrupted my research because I was on "leisure" pages and the reports were totally messed up because of this.

I just had a look at it... thanks for the recommendation. It looks like it has great reporting and is good for teams. I might give it a go in the future if RescueTime lets me down!

I use ManicTime which runs in the background whenever my PC is turned on. When I return from being away, it prompts me to tag that time away if needed. 

Phyllis G wrote:

I use ManicTime which runs in the background whenever my PC is turned on. When I return from being away, it prompts me to tag that time away if needed. 

Phyllis... I think I might have had ManicTime in the past too, when I was on Windows. Are you using it for project tracking or for personal time/distraction mangagement?

I'm going with TopTracker for project tracking and RescueTime to find out where all my time is going (!). I'm going to run with RescueTime for a couple of weeks and try acting on the reports to see if my screentime management improves.

Zoe B wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Phyllis... I think I might have had ManicTime in the past too, when I was on Windows. Are you using it for project tracking or for personal time/distraction mangagement?

I use it mainly for project tracking but the fact that it runs all the time is a help w/ distraction management. 

I'm going with TopTracker for project tracking and RescueTime to find out where all my time is going (!). I'm going to run with RescueTime for a couple of weeks and try acting on the reports to see if my screentime management improves.

I have not looked at alternatives since I started using MT a few years ago. Others might be better but I'm used to it!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths