cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problems facing the freelancers and the main reason of those problems is the client and Upwork

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
1 of 34

No, I'm right in what I say. Gendered pronouns are more commonplace in countries where women are still conferred a subordinate status. It's not a linguistic feature, it's a patriarchal one.

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
2 of 34

Ramon, I got your back on that one.

Community Guru
3 of 34

I know it seems like a trivial thing, but I don't think it is. Before the Enlightenment all Western media was written from the perspective of men, by men and for men, with the assumption, true at the time, that it would only be men in a position to act upon the information.

This is reflected in vocabulary 'mankind' 'manpower' 'councilmen' etc. Masculinity thereby being the norm, with women only referred to as as an exception.

Since the second wave of feminism is the 1960s there has been a change in understanding, and words have become adapted to acknowledge women 'comedienne' or gender neutral 'firefighter'. A good example of this being the Star Trek opening line:

'Where no man has gone before'

changing, in Star Trek, the Next Generation to:

'Where no one has gone before'

However, not all countries yet have equal rights for women, yet alone gender-neutral language. Given that Upwork is meant to be (in theory) forward thinking and inclusive, the assumption by some posters that everyone reading, hiring, working or in a position to change things must be male (the new CEO is, anyway, a woman) should be contested.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 34

@Ramon B wrote:

the new CEO is, anyway, a woman

I agree with everything you wrote but the new CEO is not a woman. Stephane is the French version of Stephen.

Community Guru
5 of 34

Oh well, maybe he'll later have gender reassignment surgery and become Stephanie Smiley Sad=Woman Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
6 of 34

Ramon,

I think it’s just a language thing. Most people who are not native English speakers don’t pay attention to this. I get confused all the time as I tend to use “they” instead of he/she and sometimes it sounds really weird Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
7 of 34

Then why is it always he rather than she?

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
8 of 34

I think you have given a very reasonable explanation with your comment “Western media was written from the perspective of men, by men and for men” so probably that is the reason why most people would use “he” rather than “she”.  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 34

@Ramon B wrote:

Then why is it always he rather than she?

I can probably answer this too. I use "he" in my writing, because 99% of what I write is from experience in the tech field and my audience is men. Tech is mainly men, especially infrastructure. Most females are in PM or BA roles and aren't technical, but that's just the way it is. Nothing is holding back females from getting into IT, so I don't see it as a big deal.

I don't care one iota if someone uses "he" as the default pronoun. It's all good. LIfe's too short to QQ over stuff that doesn't matter. I've had editors, though, purposely change my pronouns to include "she" and I LOL. 

Community Guru
10 of 34

Nothing? Are you suggesting there is no discrimination towards women trying to break into traditionally masculine fields of work? Moreover, in areas, (Law, Medicine) that are now predominately female, should we refer to everyone as she?

P.S The current thesis I'm working on refers to everyone as 'she'., while a spectacularly stupid earlier one I edited even referred to named males as 'she' as 'a critique of the partiarchial structure [in theatre studies!]'. This, I feel is equally sexist and wrong.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS