🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Interesting article about freelancing and the...
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Interesting article about freelancing and the Coronavirus

I saw this article in Vice and wanted to share it. I was just thinking yesterday that, during an outbreak like this when people want to avoid contact with other people, there's never been a better time to work from home. I wonder if Upwork has seen an increase in applications; meanwhile, there may be less work to go around if this continues and spreads? Not trying to be alarmist, I just thought that this might make for an interesting discussion.

https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article/qjdz9v/singapore-freelancers-losing-jobs-coronavirus

14 REPLIES 14
m_terrazas
Community Member

In Spain, the Ministry of Health is thinking of recommending that, who can, do the work from home. Specifically in two cities.

Maria T wrote:

In Spain, the Ministry of Health is thinking of recommending that, who can, do the work from home. Specifically in two cities.

And in France, thanks to our tradition of going on stike, it's already becoming quite common. When there is no public transportation available, companies are encouraging their employees to work from home - or at least those who can. It's very convenient.

I've got some friends who are employees and they work partially from home, like a day or two per week. I was surprised to find out that many who could do this don't because the hate it. I think it makes sense, some people need social interactions.

One of my friends would rather endure commuting two hours a day in the crowded Parisian transit system than working from home, alone. I don't get it, but I guess it takes all kinds.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Yes, the closest cases to me are now literally just up the hill. 

Being a freelancer who can easily self isolate is currently the safest way to work for me. I'm walking the dog in the olive grove beyond my patio and am avoiding all human contact except for the occasional delivery driver. It's pretty easy to take the parcel, dispose of the carton, then wash hands.

Petra R wrote:

Yes, the closest cases to me are now literally just up the hill. 

Being a freelancer who can easily self isolate is currently the safest way to work for me. I'm walking the dog in the olive grove beyond my patio and am avoiding all human contact except for the occasional delivery driver. It's pretty easy to take the parcel, dispose of the carton, then wash hands.

How awful - I didn't realise that you were so close to the affected areas. Good to hear that you're staying safe. I'm worried because I'm supposed to go home to London in less than a month, but I feel like I should hold off making any travel plans at the moment. I'm glad that I can work from home and fortunate to be in an area that has no cases at the moment, but I still feel like I'm in limbo.

Christine A wrote:

I'm worried because I'm supposed to go home to London in less than a month, but I feel like I should hold off making any travel plans at the moment. I'm glad that I can work from home and fortunate to be in an area that has no cases at the moment, but I still feel like I'm in limbo.

I think that would be sensible unless the UK somehow manage to get a grip on the situation, which, based on history, seems unlikely...

Wow! I absolutely love working at home. After 10 years at my last job with a horrible commute through LA traffic, I'm thrilled to not have to put myself through that anymore. I'm way more productive than I was sitting amongst my very loud coworkers. Now my coworkers are my doggies, who just need to be let outside from time to time, or the occasional treat!!

Rene wrote "One of my friends would rather endure commuting two hours a day in the crowded Parisian transit system than working from home, alone. I don't get it, but I guess it takes all kinds."

Extraverts require people around them to give them energy, as they draw it from others. Introverts draw energy from within, and being around other people they get tired: all their energy is sapped by others. Needing people around you is easily understood, it just doesn't apply to me, or to thee.

A number of other things contribute to people preferring not to work from home:

- Few company owners or managers understand how to manage a remote workforce, and fail to make it easy. Most don't provide the necessary tools, trying to save money. The first tool necessary if you have three or more employees is a high-quality VA whose native language matches yours. Yes, you and a Filippino both speak excellent English, but the Filippino needs fluency in your culture and your customers as well. It's expensive to hire a qualigfied French VA.

- Many switch their brains to "off work" at home. They don't have the discipline required to work there, and don't know how to develop it.

- Family interfere. Young children don't understand that Papa is at work, because he isn't. He's home, so he needs to pay attention to us. The year I quite my last employer and we moved (about twenty years ago), I had already been working out of my home, but on a different floor of our home. That year, my wife found it convenient just to stick her head in and check on me or talk. An average of nineteen times a day for the first four weeks. She was unhappy when I showed her the data. She was even less happy when I toild her what her interruptions were costing us.

There are a number of other issues, but we are the odd ones out, not the cubicle dwellers.

Bill H wrote:

There are a number of other issues, but we are the odd ones out, not the cubicle dwellers.

That!

When I tell people that I've been self isolating since late January, they invariably ask if I'm not going stir crazy and crawling up the walls. They are as puzzled by my response that no, I am just fine actually, as I am by the question itself.

I actually feel safe and protected in my bubble. BUT - I am used to working from home and have been doing so for 7 years now.

It is obviously easier without a live in spouse or kids. I could not work effectively with constant distractions (cats and dog don't count)

kbadeau
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Bill H wrote:

That!

When I tell people that I've been self isolating since late January, they invariably ask if I'm not going stir crazy and crawling up the walls. They are as puzzled by my response that no, I am just fine actually, as I am by the question itself.

I actually feel safe and protected in my bubble. BUT - I am used to working from home and have been doing so for 7 years now.

It is obviously easier without a live in spouse or kids. I could not work effectively with constant distractions (cats and dog don't count)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?! The cat is an incredible distraction. She would lie right on the keyboard if I would let her. Smiley LOL

e_luneborg
Community Member

I am glad I don't have to go to an office with hundreds of people every day, regardless of the virus or not. In my niche, I can't really see that this will impact my workload at all. I have steady ongoing work so I'm good. The only thing that could put a halt to it is if I get sick, and if I do I have a hospital 100 meters down the road. Not that the virus has even gotten to my little island yet.

What I am wondering is Whether freelancing is a way to do living. since the last week, when i lost an hourly job that was promising, and In which I was thinking about to cover my expenses, that i have, and i have been appliyin to many, many jobs, and my messages application as lonely as the Sahara. Sometimes I wold go where the clients and chime them. hey, i am here, ¿do you hear me?. at least say me that no way you are working with me. But silence... oh, my God.

Lucio,

That is about the only nerve wrecking thing of being a freelancer. 

Imagine you want to land a traditional job, which usually you would want to last for a few years, so you well brush up your CV, Cover letters, certificates and what not, and you apply at 80-100 places - and you know that most of them have no courtesy to "deny" your appliation, but you deal with it because it is for that few months only when you are looking. 

Do that everyday, with a smile - and you are a freelancer!!! LOL 

With Thanks,
Dushyant

- If you do not fight for yourself, who will?
calvo_juan
Community Member

Unless people who can work from home adapt and companies all over the world start improving their remote services, delivery, etc., I think it will be very difficult to mitigate the impact of this and freelance jobs will be affected. It will take at least a year and a half to make a vaccine.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths