🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » International mother language day
Page options
joynul33
Community Member

International mother language day

Your Mother Language Is Your Identity In This World. Never ignore your mother tongue. Love your language than love others. Who lost the mother language he lost his dignityInternational mother language day!International mother language day!

Joynul
9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Joynul A wrote:

Your Mother Language Is Your Identity In This World. Never ignore your mother tongue. Love your language than love others. Who lost the mother language he lost his dignityInternational mother language day!International mother language day!

Now I don't know how this applies to a certain Austrian born actor, who went on to become Governor or a certain US state, and then going back to acting. In all fairness, he said he would be back.

Now you US people might think he has an Austrian accent, and indeed he has, but let me tell you when he speaks Austrian, he has an American accent like you wouldn't believe. Thick. 

So has he lost or won? 

probably he lost!!

Joynul

Hi

SAJIDA
petra_r
Community Member

I actually actively dislike my native language. Really! !I only speak it when I have to, (when I call my mother or clients insist on communicating in German) and don't even think or dream in it. I even speak English with my best friend in Germany (she is half English, half German but has lived in Germany for 20+ years.)

Of the several languages I speak or can understand, it is by far my least favourite.... OK, maybe ancient Greek is my least favourite, but German's a close second.

Petra R wrote:

I actually actively dislike my native language. Really! !I only speak it when I have to, (when I call my mother or clients insist on communicating in German) and don't even think or dream in it. I even speak English with my best friend in Germany (she is half English, half German but has lived in Germany for 20+ years.)

Of the several languages I speak or can understand, it is by far my least favourite.... OK, maybe ancient Greek is my least favourite, but German's a close second.

I can't read books in German. I read to fall asleep in bed, but can't in German. Too harsh. 

Petra R wrote:

I actually actively dislike my native language.

I so blame myself for not having taken German seriously in school. I would happily help you get rid of your German if it was transferable. I love the sound of the language and I cherish the few words than I can understand.

And don't even mention Rammstein!

I'm also happy to be a native speaker of French and I love to write it and to play with the language.

And of course, I love English.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
reinierb
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

I don't think I actively dislike Afrikaans, but I also don't think is is special in any way. After all, one's mother tongue is purely the result of where one was born, so if I was born in any other country than South Africa, I would probably have felt the same way about whatever language I was born into. 

Languages are strange. I enjoy my native language (French) but I'm happy I did not have to learn it. Much too difficult.

Brazilian Portuguese is the language I used during my childhood, and it's the language I cherish the most. I make the effort to use it as much as I can, because a it's part of me I would hate to lose that part of me.

English is the language I fell in love with as a kid, and still enjoy so much. It's such a strange language, with so many short words. What's amazing about it is that the same word can have so many different meanings. It's just fascinating.

Just like René, I wish I had a better knowledge of German. I did try, and sometimes I take German lessons, but I get discouraged by the der/die/das bit. I really enjoyed singing in German during the time I was singing with a choir. It can become a very mysterious and harmonious language.

Now, what's cool, when you speak a language, is to sort of understand other languages or other versions of the same language. Languages are such a cool thing, and not just your native one.

mahrukh001
Community Member

Agreed, My mother language is Punjabi and Urdu, as they are my native languages, and I maintain a strong connection with both of them.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths