Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invites to low paying jobs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
1 of 17

I'm getting really sick of clients inviting me to apply for their jobs when they have no intention to pay my rates. When I can see that a client has invited 50 other freelancers as well, then fair enough, they are just inviting everyone. But when I get invitations written only for me, pointing out stuff in my profile and work history, why do they think I want to work for a fraction of my rate? My profile of course has an hourly rate (but I don't do hourly jobs anymore), and I have also added my rate per word.

Is it because of the low paying jobs I did when I was new here and had a way to low rate? (And I'm still quite new, having been here for less than a year.) Or is it because it's normal that freelancers work for way less than their profile rate says? I don't really apply for a lot of jobs myself, but I do respond to invitations if I get something interesting, and I find myself waisting a lot of time interviewing with clients that wants to pay me 0,02USD or less per word. 

So my question is: Are all freelancers experiencing this, or will this stop when I have been here longer, and my low paying hourly jobs disapear further down my work history?

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

re: "So my question is: Are all freelancers experiencing this, or will this stop when I have been here longer, and my low paying hourly jobs disapear further down my work history?"

I have been on oDesk/Upwork for 3 years now.

One would need to scroll down pretty far to get to early period lower-paying work.

I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I don't receive low-paying invites. If I receive a personal invite, it is from clients offering to pay me my posted hourly rate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 17

@Eve L wrote:

I'm getting really sick of clients inviting me to apply for their jobs when they have no intention to pay my rates. When I can see that a client has invited 50 other freelancers as well, then fair enough, they are just inviting everyone. But when I get invitations written only for me, pointing out stuff in my profile and work history, why do they think I want to work for a fraction of my rate? My profile of course has an hourly rate (but I don't do hourly jobs anymore), and I have also added my rate per word.

Is it because of the low paying jobs I did when I was new here and had a way to low rate? (And I'm still quite new, having been here for less than a year.) Or is it because it's normal that freelancers work for way less than their profile rate says? I don't really apply for a lot of jobs myself, but I do respond to invitations if I get something interesting, and I find myself waisting a lot of time interviewing with clients that wants to pay me 0,02USD or less per word. 

So my question is: Are all freelancers experiencing this, or will this stop when I have been here longer, and my low paying hourly jobs disapear further down my work history?

You're not alone.

I got a rash of invites today, some of them with budgets that were laughable, one for $30, one for $15. I like that when I decline, I get the opportunity to let the client know what I think of their ridiculous offers .... in a professional way of course. And I hope that in some small way it educates them a little bit about what is fair.

In a very small way ...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 17

All the time. Writers don't seem to be business minded, so I'm not surprised really. Most of the writers I've seen think the way business works is that you just take whatever someone offers you. Then they just complain that no one will pay them well. So, why would anyone throw any writer a high rate when most writers just take whatever is offered and let people walk all over them? I'd totally lowball a writer, cuz most of them aren't very bright.

My suggestion is just to keep it short and tell them how much it will cost. You mention that these invites are personalized to you. They lowball you to see if you'll bend over, and you turn around and shove a stilleto in their sack and give them a clue.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 17

Our favourite translation farmer (him who is native in 20+ languages) keeps inviting me for 1/2 Cent a word contracts and I finally flipped on Thursday....

invite.jpg

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mirjam K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
6 of 17

This happens often to me, too. The worst thing is that the worst of those come from people from Germany - where we have a minimum wage you could never reach with their offers and they should know that.

I started to ask in my first response if they have read my profile and are willing to pay me accordingly. Just a friendly question and if they did not invite me on accident, I will be happy to look at the details of their job.

The last guy then replied that of course he had and that he could even go up to $0.02/word if I did an excellent job of everything.

I told him that I would be really interested in seeing anyone even type more than 2500 words per hour for a few hours, let alone research, write and format the text.

Surprisingly, I did not hear from him again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
7 of 17

Company logo for $34, yay here I come... not. 

To be fair, among the ridiculous invites I got a couple of very decent ones. But clicking 'Proposed budget too low' gets old fast, I'm probably gonna start entertaining myself with longer messages. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 17

Bojana D wrote:  I'm probably gonna start entertaining myself with longer messages. 

"You must have had a slight typo when entering the budget" works well Smiley Happy

As does this:

no thanks.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 17

Eva, as a writer I've found that over a long period of time most of these ridiculous invites do taper off. It might be because the first few jobs showing on one's profile reflect larger jobs & higher pay.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 17

@Eve L wrote:

[. . .]

LOL! I have a long-term non client. I haven't done any work for her. But she never stops trying for the $0.02 per word - even less sometimes!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS