🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Is it me or this trend is pretty steady w...
Page options
yazimalik
Community Member

Is it me or this trend is pretty steady with others?

Lately, I have seen lots of jobs are being posted but the payment method is not verified by the clients.  I think I have job feed and I noticed for last couple months about 50% of the jobs are having a client who hasn't vefired his payment method or have any past history. 

I would assume if the client needs to post a job in live feed, upwork should have them verfiy their payment method before activating the job.  It has become such a time wasting hunting opportunities through job boards here. 

I sometimes gets talent hunters sending me invites to apply for a job and most of them are newbie client with no verffication.  I just wanted to rundown here and see if that is something people are noticing or is it only towards the field I focus on.  Hope to get some feedback regards to the topic and any new tips/trickes to avoid these.  Wonder if I can set paramaters to only show clients jobs who have hired at least 1 or have verfied their payment method.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
tlsanders
Community Member

I've been on Upwork for nearly two years, and about 50% of my clients have always been unverified at the time they hired me. That's totally fine; you just make sure they verify before they start working. I've made tens of thousands of dollars from clients who were unverified when I bid on their jobs.

If you're interested in the reasons Upwork doesn't force a potential client to verify when posting a job, there are quite a few other threads devoted to that topic that you can look up. The upshot is, clients will simply go somewhere else if that obstacle is created.

Personally, I have a strong preference for new (thus, often unverified) clients, as they are often looking for a very specific skill set that they can't staff in-house. When a client has to go outside his usual channels because he needs something done that his in-house people don't know how to do, he tends to respect the value of those skills and be willing to pay for them. On the other hand, a lot of clients who have spent $50k or more on the platform operate like mills and consider freelancers largely interchangeable...it's like working for Wal-Mart, but without even the basic legal protection employees get.

sivavranagaro
Community Member

I see this as a positive thing. It means Upwork is doing well in business and they attract new people. 

Thanks for replies.  To some extent I will agree, but over 5 years almost 15k hours...  My personal experience is ever since oDesk was merged with Elance things been down the hill, a lot more spam, policies favoring employers and products intrucded more focused on increaments in adding bottom line to what share of money upwork makes versus service provider.  that's my 2 cents, you have your experience and that might be different for good reasons.  Thanks.

cupidmedia
Community Member

As a client with now nearly $200k spent on Upwork over 5 years, if I'd had to verify my payment method before I could post a job I would have gone somewhere else.

I guess it comes with the terriority...  Top Producers on both side have their preferences...  🙂

@Yasir M wrote:

I guess it comes with the terriority...  Top Producers on both side have their preferences...  🙂

Based on your original post complaining about all the non-verified clients, clearly "Top Producers" on the client side have a pretty strong preference for NOT verifying their payment method before posting their first job.

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Yasir M wrote:

Based on your original post complaining about all the non-verified clients, clearly "Top Producers" on the client side have a pretty strong preference for NOT verifying their payment method before posting their first job.

Absolutely. I've just woken up to a $ 5k ++ offer from a client whose payment method was not yet verified when she posted her job and I applied. I am deeply grateful to all the freelancers who don't bid on jobs without a verified payment method. Thanks guys, really! More work and money for those of us who don't mind.

Verification take minutes in most cases, hours or a couple of days in the vast majority of the rest.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Please, be respectful toward other members of the Community and avoid making personal attacks when posting on this boards.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths