🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Is it ok, if the client ask to come on chat o...
Page options
nishdum
Community Member

Is it ok, if the client ask to come on chat outside the upwork platform?

Hi 

I have got a proposal in fact two, where my client asked me to come on chat, other than Upwork. They told me to come on WhatsApp, Viber, or Telegram to talk. My question is was it right to ask like this, though Upwork also has the chatting platform enabled. What to do if you suspect a client to be a potential fraud? I had an interview, started working but there is no update from the client on Upwork, what is that? Also please answer if you know what is the reason if clients data once said total interview as 11 and now it shows like 10, I mean what is the reason behind?

Regards!

Rajan..

5 REPLIES 5
2a05aa63
Community Member

You can talk with the client outside Upwork if the contract started. Just be sure you know how the payment works so you don't get scammed.

JoanneP

Hi Rajan,

Viacheslav is correct. All conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs and this help article about how you can stay safe on Upwork.  

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joane,

I already accepted job offer / contract from my client, so is it safe now to have a conversation with him on upwork?

Make sure the contract is either hourly using the time tracker or for a fixed priced that is fully funded with the money in escrow, and does not include a bonus as a payment method, or requires you to buy anything for or from them.

kinector
Community Member

Rajan, it's good that you're checking this here to learn how Upwork works.

In-line reply here:

"I have got a proposal in fact two, where my client asked me to come on chat, other than Upwork. They told me to come on WhatsApp, Viber, or Telegram to talk. My question is was it right to ask like this, though Upwork also has the chatting platform enabled."

Before there is a contract in place (you got an offer and accepted it, and the job shows on your My Jobs page), it's not OK for the client to ask for it. It's not OK for the freelancer to request it or to accept such a request, either. So, technically, if there was no contract in place yet, you too violated the ToS. Read it here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062618-Terms-of-Service

You'd do well if you brought the discussion back to Upwork... Many clients are new and have no idea about what to do, so you need to be the one taking the lead on how things are done.

"What to do if you suspect a client to be a potential fraud?"

Press the Flag as inappropriate button on the job post. The rest is explained in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Where-do-I-report-a-client/td-p/196358

If you're sure something fishy is going on, also press the Block button so you will never cross paths again in the future.

"I had an interview, started working but there is no update from the client on Upwork, what is that?"

Did you have a contract in place? If no, you might end up working for free as Upwork cannot help you if the contract is not in place. You should stop now and request a real Upwork contract.

In general, delays simply mean that maybe the client is busy with higher priority tasks. It could be that the client ended up in a hospital. Perhaps Covid got him. Perhaps he ran out of coconuts and went to get some more. There could a thousand reasons... so if you have a contract in place, just wait. Once work is done, press the Submit Work button for fixed-price jobs and you get paid eventually regardless of what the client does. Hourly gigs pay weekly as long as the client's credit card works.

So, if you have a contract, you're quite safe. Very hard to get scammed.

"Also please answer if you know what is the reason if clients data once said total interview as 11 and now it shows like 10, I mean what is the reason behind?"

Probably someone rejected the invitation. Anyway, it doesn't affect one bit what you might want to do. Would it?

Hope this clarified your doubts. Good luck! 👍

Latest Articles
Learning Paths