Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Is it within Upwork ToS..?

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
11 of 20

Christine A wrote:


I disagree - most of them know exactly what they're doing. It only takes a minute to steal a logo or machine translate an article, so $10 is quite a good payment for the effort involved. I wonder why the rest of us waste our time learning skills and doing actual work - maybe we're the fools.


I may be wrong, but I'm not sure they all do that. I think many just think that's how you get started on Upwork.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
12 of 20

Luce N wrote:

Christine A wrote:


I disagree - most of them know exactly what they're doing. It only takes a minute to steal a logo or machine translate an article, so $10 is quite a good payment for the effort involved. I wonder why the rest of us waste our time learning skills and doing actual work - maybe we're the fools.


I may be wrong, but I'm not sure they all do that. I think many just think that's how you get started on Upwork.


If you don't know how to do something, then you wouldn't lie in your profile, steal work that isn't yours, and apply for jobs that you have no idea how to do - no matter how "new" you are. Some people might do it out of desperation for money because they have no marketable skills, but I don't think that anybody does it by accident. Either way, their accounts should be banned instead of making all of us look bad.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
13 of 20

Christine A wrote:


If you don't know how to do something, then you wouldn't lie in your profile, steal work that isn't yours, and apply for jobs that you have no idea how to do - no matter how "new" you are. Some people might do it out of desperation for money because they have no marketable skills, but I don't think that anybody does it by accident. Either way, their accounts should be banned instead of making all of us look bad.


That may be true in your speciality, but I'm a translator. Many people have no idea what a translator is. Clients even ask for trouble, they expect the same person to translate into 5 or 6 different languages, while a real translator knows that he/she should translate into his/her native tongue only. These clients are the ones that give the idea that as long as you use machine translation, you can translate into any language and get paid for it. If they took the time to read profiles, they would get a fairly good idea of whether a freelancer is capable of doing a job correctly. But I guess they prefer to dream of the perfect freelancer, who will, without previous preparation, be able to do a perfect job for them - and for cheap.

However, I agree with you, any freelancer who steals work done by others should be banned.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 20

Christine A wrote:

Luce N wrote:


I don't really think these freelancers are dishonest, just plain foolish. When you accept to work for nearly nothing, then pay 20% to Upwork, plus exchange rate and taxes on this small amount of money, you are a real fool. 

 


I disagree - most of them know exactly what they're doing. It only takes a minute to steal a logo or machine translate an article, so $10 is quite a good payment for the effort involved. I wonder why the rest of us waste our time learning skills and doing actual work - maybe we're the fools.


Agreed ... who doesn't know it's against the rules anywhere to do other people's homework? I used to report them, but a few years ago someone came to the forum (exposing herself because most of her jobs were obviously academic fraud). Her profile was never acted upon by Upwork

 

I was able to get two students in trouble because they were stupid enough to leave their school information on their attachments. One professor was shocked - she had no idea this kind of thing was happening. The other professor was somehow able to figure out who it was (probably the guy with the dunce cap on). It was quite satisfying. But witnessing that some just get a slap on the hand and continue on the site just made me give up.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
15 of 20

Virginia F wrote:


Agreed ... who doesn't know it's against the rules anywhere to do other people's homework? I used to report them, but a few years ago someone came to the forum (exposing herself because most of her jobs were obviously academic fraud). Her profile was never acted upon by Upwork

 

I was able to get two students in trouble because they were stupid enough to leave their school information on their attachments. One professor was shocked - she had no idea this kind of thing was happening. The other professor was somehow able to figure out who it was (probably the guy with the dunce cap on). It was quite satisfying. But witnessing that some just get a slap on the hand and continue on the site just made me give up.


Virginia, although this is the main topic of this thread, I did'nt mean accademic fraud. However, I could imagine a student selling his own homework, with a few modifications, in order to get a first job on Upwork done quickly, who knows, people have a lot more imagination than we usually asume they have! That to me would be fraud.

Ace Contributor
Richard F Member Since: Sep 9, 2009
16 of 20

I agree this is a disgrace Mikko. I have stopped complaining because Upwork never acknowledges. I worked very hard for my quaifications. Allowing these cheats degrades Upwork's otherwise excellent contribution to the hard working community. Richard

Active Member
Konstantinos F Member Since: Jun 26, 2018
17 of 20

I am sorry to keep banging on about this, but... Look at this job and look at the feedback given!!!

**Edited for community guidelines**

 

The same guy has another job asking someone to give him answers to an exam as it happens.

 

This is a problem Upwork needs to recognize and solve. We need to keep this platform clean. It's not worth making a bad name for the platform for a handful of low paying projects on which Upwork gets the commission. It's even bad business for Upwork because it deters serious corporate clients from hiring here, in my opinion at least. Although this can be verified by statistical analysis and/or a questionnaire to past and present clients on the platform.

 

As always, please let me know if I'm out of line here but I think this needs to be addressed.

Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
18 of 20

Thank you for flagging this for us, Konstantinos.

 

I have escalated this report to the correct team for their review. Appropriate action will be taken according to our internal processes. 


~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 20

Konstantinos F wrote:

I am sorry to keep banging on about this, but... Look at this job and look at the feedback given!!!

**Edited for community guidelines**

 

The same guy has another job asking someone to give him answers to an exam as it happens.

 

This is a problem Upwork needs to recognize and solve. We need to keep this platform clean. It's not worth making a bad name for the platform for a handful of low paying projects on which Upwork gets the commission. It's even bad business for Upwork because it deters serious corporate clients from hiring here, in my opinion at least. Although this can be verified by statistical analysis and/or a questionnaire to past and present clients on the platform.

 

As always, please let me know if I'm out of line here but I think this needs to be addressed.


Even though your link was deleted, it's in my email. What's interesting is what comes up when I click on the link: "This job is private. Only freelancers invited by client can view this job". Does that mean once it was flagged, the "client" got around it by making the job private?

 

So ... cheaters work with a freelancer once, and get to go unobserved because the job posts are invisible to us. They probably share willing freelancer profiles with their classroom buddies as well. I would hope, probably futilely, that Upwork not only gets rid of the "client", but any and all freelancers who were invited ... they are surely repeat offenders.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 20

Virginia F wrote:

"This job is private. Only freelancers invited by client can view this job". Does that mean once it was flagged, the "client" got around it by making the job private?

No, it means Upwork set it to private while investigating.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS