🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Is there a way to enlarge the area for vi...
Page options
90ad35d8
Community Member

Is there a way to enlarge the area for viewing message content?

My clients frequently send me long paragraphs of notes and outlines for articles they want written. Instead of going back and forth between my open document and their notes, I find it helpful to copy their notes onto the document so I can reference them there.

But I can only copy about eight lines of text at a time from Messages before I have to paste in my document, go back, scroll down, and grab the next eight lines. It can get tedious, I can lose my place, scroll too far...it seems like a small thing but when I'm trying to get something done quickly, it's pretty inconvenient.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I searched). Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pudingstudio
Community Member

Amber F wrote:

My clients frequently send me long paragraphs of notes and outlines for articles they want written. Instead of going back and forth between my open document and their notes, I find it helpful to copy their notes onto the document so I can reference them there.

But I can only copy about eight lines of text at a time from Messages before I have to paste in my document, go back, scroll down, and grab the next eight lines. It can get tedious, I can lose my place, scroll too far...it seems like a small thing but when I'm trying to get something done quickly, it's pretty inconvenient.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I searched). Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried to select some text (any number of characters, just something to mark the "beginning"), than to scroll and when reach the "end" hold SHIFT and click?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
pudingstudio
Community Member

Amber F wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried to select some text (any number of characters, just something to mark the "beginning"), than to scroll and when reach the "end" hold SHIFT and click?

Doh! Thanks!

I still wish it were larger for reading purposes. A popout option would be nice; or if they could make the chat box smaller at the bottom (default only needs to be one line high...it's taking up unneessary space). But oh well.

Thanks again!

Amber

Amber F wrote:

Doh! Thanks!

I still wish it were larger for reading purposes. A popout option would be nice; or if they could make the chat box smaller at the bottom (default only needs to be one line high...it's taking up unneessary space). But oh well.

Thanks again!

Amber

Think that when clients are sending long texts, it's most often that they do it via Word or .txt file; your case is bit unusual.

Though, I'm only writing from my own experience. Might be very wrong about this.

I think I've only had four writing jobs so far, and had this problem in all of them. Sometimes they've clearly pasted the material from another document, sometimes they're typing as they think. But yeah, I don't know what's typical.

mtngigi
Community Member

Amber F wrote:

I think I've only had four writing jobs so far, and had this problem in all of them. Sometimes they've clearly pasted the material from another document, sometimes they're typing as they think. But yeah, I don't know what's typical.

Another option is to ask your clients to simply attach the Word doc., if they're using Word. If not, you can also use Dropbox or other file exchange sites for this purpose. If they're typing info, they can easily type it into an email which will also be easier to grab.

The message room is a mess, and it doesn't matter how much we complain about it - they won't fix it.

fernando_ruwan
Community Member

Another alternative is to use google docs as collaborative documents where all parties can add/edit contents and exchange ideas via comments, everthing in one place. You can use Upwork messages to discuss other contract related matters in general. It's been a very productive option for me in some projects. But I did the initial copy-paste myself and then invited my clients to give their feedback about the progress on the google doc. My projects are mostly design and development work.

So yes, you may still have to copy-paste the initial contents but later on it'll help in the long run if your clients send modification requests also via Upwork messages.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths