🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: It's a small world
Page options
astepanov83
Community Member

It's a small world

I'm a programmer. A year and a half ago I had a contract where I developed a secure mailer and I used a small library from github that did all the crypto stuff. The library is rather unknown even for those who's knowledgable in cryptography.

A couple of days ago I got an invitation to a job. It was posted by one the authors of this library! They looked for someone who could continue evolving it and add some major features. I was pretty surprised by the overall situation and we had a great talk.

It's a small world. And if it concenrs a specialized area, it's even smaller.

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

yeah, it is a small world. I have a client in NYC who found me on Upwork when he needed someone quickly. I'm not sure he planned to keep me for so long, but he even stood me up on our first scheduled phone call. Sometimes when people do this I bail but for some reason I decided to give in when he pinged me again. We get to talking and he grew up a block from my house where I grew up and went to the same high school. We probably ran into each other at some point in our lives since he's only 2 year older than I am.

I even told him I was gonna be creepy and start googling him to see if I recognize him. lol

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

yeah, it is a small world. I have a client in NYC who found me on Upwork when he needed someone quickly. I'm not sure he planned to keep me for so long, but he even stood me up on our first scheduled phone call. Sometimes when people do this I bail but for some reason I decided to give in when he pinged me again. We get to talking and he grew up a block from my house where I grew up and went to the same high school. We probably ran into each other at some point in our lives since he's only 2 year older than I am.

I even told him I was gonna be creepy and start googling him to see if I recognize him. lol

Dude is clearly stalking you and has been since high school.

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

brahhh that would be awesome cuz I have a thing for nerds and he is tall with dark hair. He can stalk me any time cuz I think he's a hot nerd. 😄

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

brahhh that would be awesome cuz I have a thing for nerds and he is tall with dark hair. He can stalk me any time cuz I think he's a hot nerd. 😄

It's nice when the universe aligns. 

Many years ago and my first job after completing my studies (I worked at anything and everything while a student but this was my first 'real' job) my immediate supervisor was a nightmare. She would take credit for your work, be all sunshiny sweetness in front of the bigger bosses, but a total B. one tee c h to you behind their backs.

Anyway...I stayed there for a year and moved on.

Many years later, when I was one of the bigger bosses at a different place of work, I advertised a position. Guess whose CV landed on my desk...ahum.

On a summer holiday in Greece i met a woman who lived in the same town as me (Bristol, UK). A few weeks after returning from the holiday I ran into her at the gym where it turned out we were both members. I think she'd mentioned that she worked as a dental hygienist. But it wasn't until the next time I visited the dentist that I discovered she was now MY dental hygienist! Over the next year we ran into each other a few times, mainly at the gym, and one day we got to discussing our holiday plans for the coming summer. It turned out that we'd both booked to go on the same package holiday (this time in Turkey) at the same time! So we travelled there together. (And despite all the coincidences I totally failed to get off with her.)

Richard W wrote:

On a summer holiday in Greece i met a woman who lived in the same town as me (Bristol, UK). A few weeks after returning from the holiday I ran into her at the gym where it turned out we were both members. I think she'd mentioned that she worked as a dental hygienist. But it wasn't until the next time I visited the dentist that I discovered she was now MY dental hygienist! Over the next year we ran into each other a few times, mainly at the gym, and one day we got to discussing our holiday plans for the coming summer. It turned out that we'd both booked to go on the same package holiday (this time in Turkey) at the same time! So we travelled there together. (And despite all the coincidences I totally failed to get off with her.)

By the universal rules of romantic comedy, I urge you to provide a better ending to this story, even if she only turns out to be your long-lost twin. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths