🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » It's happening.
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

It's happening.

Over the last 3 years I have not been able to get my clients (who all tend to be long term and work with me for ongoingly for years) to get aligned schedules enough to actually take a full week off of work. Because of external deadlines in my field, I often work through holidays (and yes, I charge for it), and I'm lucky to get two whole days off. I do fluctuate my work days so I work less or "lite"  days, and I have even gotten "lite"  weeks, but not a full week off in 3 years. And somehow, I looked at the calendar in January, and the only problem I saw was my longest running client, but then I checked her schedule and miraculously she is out next week so...

I am taking a whole week (9 days including the two weekengs) off work. 

Hallelujah! 

Yes, I recognize that I need to do better to be able to set aside time for me to take off, and getting this time off was the first step. Having a lot of work is a blessing, but also, a curse when you work every weekend and holiday, lol. 

Would love to hear how others coordinate with long-term clients to get time off. Of course, I may not respond until 2/15, cause, you know, VACATION! 

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

I did 60 hours last week and decided to finish it all by Sunday so I could get paid for it and take off Monday. NOPE!

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I did 60 hours last week and decided to finish it all by Sunday so I could get paid for it and take off Monday. NOPE!

I am kind of getting worried because I got done with everything early, and now I sort of don't know what to do with myself. So I came back to my desk...this is not a good sign. 

Amanda L wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I am kind of getting worried because I got done with everything early, and now I sort of don't know what to do with myself. So I came back to my desk...this is not a good sign. 

But you paint (lovely stuff) - get your easel out. 

Nichola L wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

But you paint (lovely stuff) - get your easel out. 

Aw, thank you. I do have 3 canvasses waiting for some paint. I hope to get some paint on at least one!

petra_r
Community Member

Do something you've always wanted to try. Get out of the house (restrictions allowing) and go places in nature.

tahafarooq7
Community Member

I planned a holiday last year, before corona happened. I went to another country for three weeks and the only relaxation I was able to get was to work 2 hours less every day. 

Taha F wrote:

I planned a holiday last year, before corona happened. I went to another country for three weeks and the only relaxation I was able to get was to work 2 hours less every day. 

We are the same, brother. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths