Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a cat

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1 of 21

"But... it's only a cat" they say. They don't understand why, over 2 months after you went away, I still can't think about you without my insides twisting.

"Only a cat" they say, but you were born under my dressing table, all white and pink and weird.

You changed colour every day, and when I first held you I noticed that you didn't have a tail, just a tiny stub, like a little lynx.

When you opened your eyes they were a funny shade of blue and as you grew up, they looked a different shade of blue in every light, sometimes almost turquoise.

When the time came to find you your forever home, I talked everyone who came to choose a kitten into one of your siblings, and when that lovely lady was already on her way to come and pick you up, I called her in tears to tell he she could not have you because I was selfish and wanted to keep you all for myself.

Much as I love your mum and your two older siblings, you were always "the one" - my little shadow, the one who'd get fed first, fussed first... the one who'd sleep on the dog's head and ate his food and stole his ball and got away with murder.

You shredded my silk curtains and were a ferocious hunter, bringing a never ending procession of (live) little friends from mice and voles to lizards, snakes, geckos, giant moths, occasionally a bird, once a bat, home to play, often in the middle of the night. You took them into the shower to be either rescued by me or eaten if I wasn't quick enough.

You'd jump on my chest in the middle of the night chattering away, demanding fuss, only to curl up with your dog and go to sleep as soon as I was too awake to do the same. You ate salad. You would hide in the washing machine and generally strutted about the place like you owned the place (I am sure you were convinced that you did). You were a little pocket rocket, half the size of your older brother, but with more personality than any cat I ever met.

"Only a cat?" Maybe.

But you were my cat, and I was your human, and nothing is the same without you.

Lynca, May 2016 - August 2019

LyncaLynca

hoyle_editing
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
2 of 21

Beautiful!

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3 of 21

I am so sorry for your loss Petra.

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 21

with "her" dog and his (!) ball..... she was a monster!

Murphy and Lynca sm.jpg

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 21

Petra, in tears. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious rambunctious Lynca.  

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
6 of 21

Petra R wrote:

"But... it's only a cat" they say. They don't understand why, over 2 months after you went away, I still can't think about you without my insides twisting.

"Only a cat" they say, but you were born under my dressing table, all white and pink and weird.

You changed colour every day, and when I first held you I noticed that you didn't have a tail, just a tiny stub, like a little lynx.

When you opened your eyes they were a funny shade of blue and as you grew up, they looked a different shade of blue in every light, sometimes almost turquoise.

When the time came to find you your forever home, I talked everyone who came to choose a kitten into one of your siblings, and when that lovely lady was already on her way to come and pick you up, I called her in tears to tell he she could not have you because I was selfish and wanted to keep you all for myself.

Much as I love your mum and your two older siblings, you were always "the one" - my little shadow, the one who'd get fed first, fussed first... the one who'd sleep on the dog's head and ate his food and stole his ball and got away with murder.

You shredded my silk curtains and were a ferocious hunter, bringing a never ending procession of (live) little friends from mice and voles to lizards, snakes, geckos, giant moths, occasionally a bird, once a bat, home to play, often in the middle of the night. You took them into the shower to be either rescued by me or eaten if I wasn't quick enough.

You'd jump on my chest in the middle of the night chattering away, demanding fuss, only to curl up with your dog and go to sleep as soon as I was too awake to do the same. You ate salad. You would hide in the washing machine and generally strutted about the place like you owned the place (I am sure you were convinced that you did). You were a little pocket rocket, half the size of your older brother, but with more personality than any cat I ever met.

"Only a cat?" Maybe.

But you were my cat, and I was your human, and nothing is the same without you.

Lynca, May 2016 - August 2019

LyncaLynca

Your Lynca, my Samantha- makes no difference what their names were, but it's never, ever, just a cat. Only cat people will understand that. 

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 21

Reinier B wrote:

Your Lynca, my Samantha- makes no difference what their names were, but it's never, ever, just a cat. Only cat people will understand that. 

That is so true. No point trying to explain. Those who get it would never say such a thing, and saying it to those who would come up with it is pointless because they won't get it.

Pic with her older sister Layla. I've always wondered if the same gene that gave her the colour and the tail mutation (they are linked) was responsible for her tiny size. Layla is actually not a big / tall cat either.

Lynca and LaylaLynca and Layla

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
8 of 21

Petra, so sorry about your loss.

I'm a cat lady myself, I lost my dear cat Cachou 3 years ago, and I still miss her very much. I don't think cats are "only cats". Just like music, they are close to magic, a gift that we humans don't deserve but have been given.

sergio-soria
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
9 of 21

I am so sorry, Petra. My kitty passed away when I was a teen and I still feel how devastating that was. I swore I would never had a cat again. Smiley Sad

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 21

Sergio S wrote:

I am so sorry, Petra. My kitty passed away when I was a teen and I still feel how devastating that was. I swore I would never had a cat again. Smiley Sad

I know. But not having a cat again would mean we deprive ourselves of the joy they bring, so that's not a great option.

Losing them is the price we pay, I just wish I'd not have had to pay it quite so soon.

I'm redefining my relationship with the others at the moment and might (currently 30% for, 70% against) get a kitten in the spring.

I've always wanted a ragdoll ....

couple of baby-pics

IMG_8923 (2).JPGIMG_8746.JPG

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS