🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: It's only a cat
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

It's only a cat

"But... it's only a cat" they say. They don't understand why, over 2 months after you went away, I still can't think about you without my insides twisting.

"Only a cat" they say, but you were born under my dressing table, all white and pink and weird.

You changed colour every day, and when I first held you I noticed that you didn't have a tail, just a tiny stub, like a little lynx.

When you opened your eyes they were a funny shade of blue and as you grew up, they looked a different shade of blue in every light, sometimes almost turquoise.

When the time came to find you your forever home, I talked everyone who came to choose a kitten into one of your siblings, and when that lovely lady was already on her way to come and pick you up, I called her in tears to tell he she could not have you because I was selfish and wanted to keep you all for myself.

Much as I love your mum and your two older siblings, you were always "the one" - my little shadow, the one who'd get fed first, fussed first... the one who'd sleep on the dog's head and ate his food and stole his ball and got away with murder.

You shredded my silk curtains and were a ferocious hunter, bringing a never ending procession of (live) little friends from mice and voles to lizards, snakes, geckos, giant moths, occasionally a bird, once a bat, home to play, often in the middle of the night. You took them into the shower to be either rescued by me or eaten if I wasn't quick enough.

You'd jump on my chest in the middle of the night chattering away, demanding fuss, only to curl up with your dog and go to sleep as soon as I was too awake to do the same. You ate salad. You would hide in the washing machine and generally strutted about the place like you owned the place (I am sure you were convinced that you did). You were a little pocket rocket, half the size of your older brother, but with more personality than any cat I ever met.

"Only a cat?" Maybe.

But you were my cat, and I was your human, and nothing is the same without you.

Lynca, May 2016 - August 2019

LyncaLynca

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rudyard Kipling is seriously outdated - except for this (which also applies to cats): 

"THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear."

The Power of the Dog, Rudyard Kipling

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Beautiful!

florydev
Community Member

I am so sorry for your loss Petra.

petra_r
Community Member

with "her" dog and his (!) ball..... she was a monster!

Murphy and Lynca sm.jpg

Petra, in tears. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious rambunctious Lynca.  

reinierb
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

"But... it's only a cat" they say. They don't understand why, over 2 months after you went away, I still can't think about you without my insides twisting.

"Only a cat" they say, but you were born under my dressing table, all white and pink and weird.

You changed colour every day, and when I first held you I noticed that you didn't have a tail, just a tiny stub, like a little lynx.

When you opened your eyes they were a funny shade of blue and as you grew up, they looked a different shade of blue in every light, sometimes almost turquoise.

When the time came to find you your forever home, I talked everyone who came to choose a kitten into one of your siblings, and when that lovely lady was already on her way to come and pick you up, I called her in tears to tell he she could not have you because I was selfish and wanted to keep you all for myself.

Much as I love your mum and your two older siblings, you were always "the one" - my little shadow, the one who'd get fed first, fussed first... the one who'd sleep on the dog's head and ate his food and stole his ball and got away with murder.

You shredded my silk curtains and were a ferocious hunter, bringing a never ending procession of (live) little friends from mice and voles to lizards, snakes, geckos, giant moths, occasionally a bird, once a bat, home to play, often in the middle of the night. You took them into the shower to be either rescued by me or eaten if I wasn't quick enough.

You'd jump on my chest in the middle of the night chattering away, demanding fuss, only to curl up with your dog and go to sleep as soon as I was too awake to do the same. You ate salad. You would hide in the washing machine and generally strutted about the place like you owned the place (I am sure you were convinced that you did). You were a little pocket rocket, half the size of your older brother, but with more personality than any cat I ever met.

"Only a cat?" Maybe.

But you were my cat, and I was your human, and nothing is the same without you.

Lynca, May 2016 - August 2019

LyncaLynca

Your Lynca, my Samantha- makes no difference what their names were, but it's never, ever, just a cat. Only cat people will understand that. 

petra_r
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Your Lynca, my Samantha- makes no difference what their names were, but it's never, ever, just a cat. Only cat people will understand that. 

That is so true. No point trying to explain. Those who get it would never say such a thing, and saying it to those who would come up with it is pointless because they won't get it.

Pic with her older sister Layla. I've always wondered if the same gene that gave her the colour and the tail mutation (they are linked) was responsible for her tiny size. Layla is actually not a big / tall cat either.

Lynca and LaylaLynca and Layla

Petra, so sorry about your loss.

I'm a cat lady myself, I lost my dear cat Cachou 3 years ago, and I still miss her very much. I don't think cats are "only cats". Just like music, they are close to magic, a gift that we humans don't deserve but have been given.

I am so sorry, Petra. My kitty passed away when I was a teen and I still feel how devastating that was. I swore I would never had a cat again. Smiley Sad

Sergio S wrote:

I am so sorry, Petra. My kitty passed away when I was a teen and I still feel how devastating that was. I swore I would never had a cat again. Smiley Sad

I know. But not having a cat again would mean we deprive ourselves of the joy they bring, so that's not a great option.

Losing them is the price we pay, I just wish I'd not have had to pay it quite so soon.

I'm redefining my relationship with the others at the moment and might (currently 30% for, 70% against) get a kitten in the spring.

I've always wanted a ragdoll ....

couple of baby-pics

IMG_8923 (2).JPGIMG_8746.JPG

kbadeau
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

I know. But not having a cat again would mean we deprive ourselves of the joy they bring, so that's not a great option.

Losing them is the price we pay, I just wish I'd not have had to pay it quite so soon.

I'm redefining my relationship with the others at the moment and might (currently 30% for, 70% against) get a kitten in the spring.

I've always wanted a ragdoll ....

My last kitty that I lost was the hardest by far. I found her in a pile of leaves in my backyard and thought she was a baby bird. She lived a good long life but it was just so hard to say goodbye

I currently have a kitty that I rescued when I returned my Uhaul when I moved to AZ. She's a mutt but definitely seems to have ragdoll in her, from her coloring to the way she follows me around like a puppy and the fact that she doesn't jump at all. My sweet little Grace Grey.

I'm so sorry for your loss Petra.

Sorry for your loss, Petra. 

A pet is never 'just' a pet, but part of the family and they share so many experiences with us. They are also always there for us, even when times are hard. (ESPECIALLY when times are hard).

I like cats, but I'm allergic to them so I can't have them around. Instead, I have a small dog and two rats. People say Ewwww when I say I have pet rats.. but they make wonderful pets. 

etrusca
Community Member

Oh Petra, I'm so sorry. What happened, he was so young.

Petra R wrote:

Right. What I do is to visit my sister once in a while, she has many, hehehe. They do have this sixth sense to know when you are distressed. Cat LOL

lysis10
Community Member

awww Petra 😞

I remember when you had to put down your dog too and it was sad.

Why do we do this to ourselves? My dog turned 12 this month so I know in my head that I don't have too much longer with her. I want another dog too for selfish reasons. 

It's never "just a cat" or "just a dog." They're our little buddies.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

awww Petra 😞

I remember when you had to put down your dog too and it was sad.

Murphy's still very much alive and kicking, you might mean the other Jennifer?

Jennifer M wrote:

Why do we do this to ourselves? My dog turned 12 this month so I know in my head that I don't have too much longer with her. I want another dog too for selfish reasons. 

Because life is just not the same without a furry pal!

Jennifer M wrote:

It's never "just a cat" or "just a dog." They're our little buddies.

... and family!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

So sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing that beautiful tribute.

My sweet Jack is 14 and slowly slipping away.  Sadly, I've been away from home and him for over a month on a family emergency thing and I miss him terribly.

Rudyard Kipling is seriously outdated - except for this (which also applies to cats): 

"THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear."

The Power of the Dog, Rudyard Kipling

allergywriter
Community Member

So young to have been lost. I am sure you made the most of the time together but no matter how much time we are given, its just not enough.

Thanksgiving will mark 2 years since I said good-by to my precious Faith. I still get a bit teary when I think of her and when I work in the garden around her grave.

Rory her "sister" is now 18 or 19 years old (we are having a hard time figuring it out) and suffers from feline dementia. Hubby and I take turns sleeping on the couch with her at night and we have to leave the lights on because she is easily disoriented. I tell her we are just a couple of old ladies hanging by the fire.

After this, I don't know that I can have a cat again. I've always had pets, but its harder and harder to say good-bye.

Cheryl K wrote:

Rory her "sister" is now 18 or 19 years old (we are having a hard time figuring it out) and suffers from feline dementia. Hubby and I take turns sleeping on the couch with her at night

Bless you for doing that... Mine sleep on my bed (in shifts, rarely all at the same time.)

Cheryl K wrote:

After this, I don't know that I can have a cat again. I've always had pets, but its harder and harder to say good-bye.

I know, but on the other hand, a house without a pet roaming around in it is not a home.

Today, for the first time since August, I actually briefly contemplated maybe letting a kitten find me come spring.

83c59eae
Community Member

THE Cat 😽 movement to another people

Latest Articles
Learning Paths