Did you mean: 

It's only a cat

kbadeau
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
11 of 21

Petra R wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

I am so sorry, Petra. My kitty passed away when I was a teen and I still feel how devastating that was. I swore I would never had a cat again. Smiley Sad

I know. But not having a cat again would mean we deprive ourselves of the joy they bring, so that's not a great option.

Losing them is the price we pay, I just wish I'd not have had to pay it quite so soon.

I'm redefining my relationship with the others at the moment and might (currently 30% for, 70% against) get a kitten in the spring.

I've always wanted a ragdoll ....

My last kitty that I lost was the hardest by far. I found her in a pile of leaves in my backyard and thought she was a baby bird. She lived a good long life but it was just so hard to say goodbye

I currently have a kitty that I rescued when I returned my Uhaul when I moved to AZ. She's a mutt but definitely seems to have ragdoll in her, from her coloring to the way she follows me around like a puppy and the fact that she doesn't jump at all. My sweet little Grace Grey.

I'm so sorry for your loss Petra.

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
12 of 21

Sorry for your loss, Petra. 

A pet is never 'just' a pet, but part of the family and they share so many experiences with us. They are also always there for us, even when times are hard. (ESPECIALLY when times are hard).

I like cats, but I'm allergic to them so I can't have them around. Instead, I have a small dog and two rats. People say Ewwww when I say I have pet rats.. but they make wonderful pets. 

etrusca
Community Leader
Antonia B Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
13 of 21

Oh Petra, I'm so sorry. What happened, he was so young.

sergio-soria
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
14 of 21

Petra R wrote:

I know. But not having a cat again would mean we deprive ourselves of the joy they bring, so that's not a great option.

Right. What I do is to visit my sister once in a while, she has many, hehehe. They do have this sixth sense to know when you are distressed. Cat LOL

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 21

awww Petra Smiley Sad

I remember when you had to put down your dog too and it was sad.

Why do we do this to ourselves? My dog turned 12 this month so I know in my head that I don't have too much longer with her. I want another dog too for selfish reasons. 

It's never "just a cat" or "just a dog." They're our little buddies.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

awww Petra Smiley Sad

I remember when you had to put down your dog too and it was sad.

Murphy's still very much alive and kicking, you might mean the other Jennifer?

Jennifer M wrote:

Why do we do this to ourselves? My dog turned 12 this month so I know in my head that I don't have too much longer with her. I want another dog too for selfish reasons. 

Because life is just not the same without a furry pal!

Jennifer M wrote:

It's never "just a cat" or "just a dog." They're our little buddies.

... and family!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 21

So sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing that beautiful tribute.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
18 of 21

My sweet Jack is 14 and slowly slipping away.  Sadly, I've been away from home and him for over a month on a family emergency thing and I miss him terribly.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
19 of 21

Rudyard Kipling is seriously outdated - except for this (which also applies to cats): 

"THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear."

The Power of the Dog, Rudyard Kipling

View solution in original post

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
20 of 21

So young to have been lost. I am sure you made the most of the time together but no matter how much time we are given, its just not enough.

Thanksgiving will mark 2 years since I said good-by to my precious Faith. I still get a bit teary when I think of her and when I work in the garden around her grave.

Rory her "sister" is now 18 or 19 years old (we are having a hard time figuring it out) and suffers from feline dementia. Hubby and I take turns sleeping on the couch with her at night and we have to leave the lights on because she is easily disoriented. I tell her we are just a couple of old ladies hanging by the fire.

After this, I don't know that I can have a cat again. I've always had pets, but its harder and harder to say good-bye.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS