cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Quality has gone down!

Highlighted
Abdullah B Member Since: Jan 27, 2020
1 of 22

Since the COVID-19 situation, I've sent out a handful of proposals, and haven't received even a single invitation to interview!

Seem dodgy to me. (As in, Upwork bots are generating jobs to recover connects!)

Anyone else facing the same issue?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
2 of 22

You came to that conclusion after sending a 'handful' of proposals?

Competition has rocketed since the onset of the pandemic, which would be a very feasible reason why you are struggling to get jobs. There's really no need for conspiracy theories. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 22

Jamie F wrote:

You came to that conclusion after sending a 'handful' of proposals?

Competition has rocketed since the onset of the pandemic, which would be a very feasible reason why you are struggling to get jobs. There's really no need for conspiracy theories. 

I must respectfully disagree. There is always room for more conspiracy theories! BTW, I just asked the bot if he creates fake jobs, and this is what he said: Sorry, I can't find an answer for you. Now that is exactly what a bot creating fake jobs would say, right? Right?

Highlighted
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
4 of 22

I must respectfully disagree. There is always room for more conspiracy theories!

Indeed. And Upwork won't let me wear my tinfoil hat in my profile picture. Sinister, or what? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 22

Robert Y wrote:

I must respectfully disagree. There is always room for more conspiracy theories!

Indeed. And Upwork won't let me wear my tinfoil hat in my profile picture. Sinister, or what? 

Tell them you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and wear a colander. Should work equally.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
6 of 22

IAleksandr S wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

Tell them you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and wear a colander. Should work equally.

I don't know.  Even though they allow religious headgear in profile pictures,, there's a lot of prejudice against colander wearers.

Highlighted
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
7 of 22

Thanks, I've been getting twice as much work since I donned the colander. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 22

Abdullah B wrote:

Since the COVID-19 situation, I've sent out a handful of proposals, and haven't received even a single invitation to interview!

Seem dodgy to me. (As in, Upwork bots are generating jobs to recover connects!)

Anyone else facing the same issue?

There is a rythm to nature.  Every year the cicadas come out in my neck of the woods as the air starts to both heat and fill with moisture. There are lightening bugs and june bugs and locusts playing their songs at night. The birds only sing in the morning and the evening and try to find shade during the day. Here it only rains in buckets, all at once or nothing, usually nothing.

And...

Someone in the forum is complaining about the drop in the quality of jobs.

It could be what you say.  It could be just summer in the northern climates.  It could also be there is a global pandemic. Nobody can say.  It could be it will pass and be like it always was or it could be forever different. Nobody can know until we are already doing it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
9 of 22

Just to make it clear, you're not accepting work from insects, are you?

The global lockdown has led to cost-cutting and provided experience with using remote workers. It has also led to a lot of commodity workers being laid off. It will likely be a year before we have enough information to know what the sum of effects is.

I'm turning away work, but I've been doing that for years. I go two or three years between invitations, but I'm getting one every three weeks for reasonable rates and sensible jobs.

Honestly, I'm reminded of the first time I was asked to sign a death certificate for a hundred year old with multiple chronic illnesses whose body had just run out. My original cause of death was "stuff happens." The Bureau of Vital Statistics was not amused.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Antonia B Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
10 of 22

Mark F., I'm fascinated by your philosophy!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS