cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling the end

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
31 of 137

University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics is superb regarding neurological issues and many more.  I have first-hand knowledge regarding this as my Mother and I both had neuro challenges.

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
32 of 137

More thanks for more advice. I've decided to take all of it, which will require 37 years. By then I'll be 107.

The cognitive difficulties have started. I couldn't remember the term 'cardiac arrest,' and later this week I couldn't remember how to spell cholecystectomy. Those could be flukes. I find prolonged standing difficult; spent 90 minutes getting through security at the airport and collapsed in a chair near the gate. I got a fellow passenger's attention, but he didn't speak English. Fortunately, he and his delightful wife were Italian and I said I wanted a cold coca cola but could not walk well and held out a $20 bill, and said they were welcome to get something for themselves. They were seated in the row in front of me, and proved why everyone worldwide loves Italians.

My offline client's choice to run his plant turned down the job the day he was supposed to start; we interviewed four or five candidates, a Colombian expat was extraordinary. His General Contractor showed up and he left nervous. I discovered he asked my young and naive client if he wanted the GC to use one of his engineers, which would require charging 15% more, or if he wanted the GC to recommend someone my client could hire. Of course he wanted the huge savings. It turns out the engineer is a GC employee who keeps running up the bills and makes no progress. I told the GC that henceforth his employee would report to him, receive instructions only from him, be paid by him, and my client would no longer be responsible for things that went wrong with the design. Basic ethics: give a client a choice and explain the consequences. The consequence was that my client was held responsible for anything that didn't go right. That's over. The huge discount amounted to about one percent of the project cost. And raised the cost 20%.

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have had sad stories. None of us knows what others suffer, and I've been incredibly lucky in my own life. I've worked with, and argued with, a number of you, and I have been told Upwork is considering establishing a Curmudgeon Award in my memory. To be awarded posthumously. As soon as possible.

Take care.

Community Guru
33 of 137

Shared pain brings people together.  It's very unfortunate that oftentimes that's what it takes. 

Bill, I'm confident this is already your attitude regarding what you're experiencing so please just consider this a reinforcement:  FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! 

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
34 of 137

Pat,

I'm not fighting anything. I realize that I am in the end stges of my life, and doing something painful, or long-term, or suspect, isn't the answer. My general health will take me soon enough. I had a vision (no other word seems to describe it) when I was twelve that I would die on a Tuesday in September 2033. The vision was in French; not sure that means anything.

Went to a Craig Morgan (country) concert last night, enjoyed it. When walking in a crowded place I need help to prevent falls. But, if someone is holding onto me and trying to lead me somewhere I need to find my own balance.

UW told me I was to be the featured contributor for December and asked me to fill out a questionnaire. Comes with a box of free UW swag, which is neat. At the same time my profile is set to private because I haven't billed anything for thirty days. Kind of funny. I'm giving up traveling for work; the last trip was two days and exhausted me. Fortunately, on the plane back home I was moved from row 26 to row 21 because the substitute airplane ended at row 25.

Surrounded by an extended family from Boston, all Irish, all drunk and funny. My seatmate pointed out his sister, future brother-in-law and father. My seatmate was about 45 and white, and probably adopted. The father he pointed to was in his early 20s and quite black. I'm rambling, a sure sign I've already written at least two paragraphs too many,

Community Guru
35 of 137

@Bill H wrote:

Pat,

I'm not fighting anything. I realize that I am in the end stges of my life, and doing something painful, or long-term, or suspect, isn't the answer. My general health will take me soon enough. I had a vision (no other word seems to describe it) when I was twelve that I would die on a Tuesday in September 2033. The vision was in French; not sure that means anything.

Went to a Craig Morgan (country) concert last night, enjoyed it. When walking in a crowded place I need help to prevent falls. But, if someone is holding onto me and trying to lead me somewhere I need to find my own balance.

UW told me I was to be the featured contributor for December and asked me to fill out a questionnaire. Comes with a box of free UW swag, which is neat. At the same time my profile is set to private because I haven't billed anything for thirty days. Kind of funny. I'm giving up traveling for work; the last trip was two days and exhausted me. Fortunately, on the plane back home I was moved from row 26 to row 21 because the substitute airplane ended at row 25.

Surrounded by an extended family from Boston, all Irish, all drunk and funny. My seatmate pointed out his sister, future brother-in-law and father. My seatmate was about 45 and white, and probably adopted. The father he pointed to was in his early 20s and quite black. I'm rambling, a sure sign I've already written at least two paragraphs too many,

Bill, I understand and certainly respect your decision.  It's your life; you're the only one that can really make those decisions. 

After my husband (also a Bill Smiley Happy ) and I've seen numerous loved ones go through many health situations and treatments throughout the years we've vowed that we'll never go through some of the same things some of them did.  However, one never really knows what they'll do until they're diagnosed.

As I know you know, Bill, you can still fight by pushing yourself and being the best Bill that you can be.  From things you've posted in the past I'm confident that you will travel that course. 

I'm not familiar with Craig Morgan but so glad that you enjoyed the concert!  As you know, there are many things you can continue to enjoy. 

LOL regarding your Private Profile yet going to be the Featured Contributor.  As you well know regarding Upwork many things seem to be oxymorons at times. 

Also LOL regarding the airplane rows.  Well, I guess they could have strapped a rocking chair on top; and you could've ridden like Granny Clampett rode in the truck in The Beverly Hillbillies-haha.

Glad you're surrounded by loved ones.  You're not rambling Bill; you're sharing, and there's a definite difference.  Please continue to share with us as absolutely long as you possibly can.  We'll welcome it.    

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
36 of 137

Bill, you do know you've just penned the opening chapter to a new book ...

"Fortunately, on the plane back home I was moved from row 26 to row 21 because the substitute airplane ended at row 25.

Surrounded by an extended family from Boston, all Irish, all drunk and funny. My seatmate pointed out his sister, future brother-in-law and father. My seatmate was about 45 and white, and probably adopted. The father he pointed to was in his early 20s and quite black. I'm rambling, a sure sign I've already written at least two paragraphs too many."

Possile POV's  - 

A reporter? A frustrated screen writer?  An even more frustrated literary agent?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
37 of 137
Bill, I’ve stayed away from this thread because anything I write would be inadequate but be that as it may, hang in there and carpe diem.
38 of 137

John, most things offered to someone either dying or in a relationship crisis are inadequate. That's perfectly fine. I went to the original neurologist today. He learned I had done med school, my wife is a de facto LPN and my daughter a surgery-qualified vet tech, and stopped trying for simple explanations. I reviewed the MRI and he's right. Fifty percent of my brain is now CSF.

I got pre-clearance from my cardiologist for the LP, and gave his info to the nurse so she could verify it. If LP improves symptoms, then surgery shunt is next year. If it doesn't, I'm possibly screwed. I felt heartened after today's visit. My wife and daughter were impressed that there's a plan in place, and that the neurologist wants to try this plan before considering alternatives. He'll develop Plan B if needed.

Ace Contributor
Anneli K Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
39 of 137

@Pat M wrote:

Shared pain brings people together.  It's very unfortunate that oftentimes that's what it takes.

That is SO true. And so unfortunate that oftentimes that's what it takes, as you said. The other thing that happens, is that some of the people will just disappear.

When after traumatic things happened to result in me being pregnant all by myself instead of me and my husband, half of my family (plus two of my dogs) died (three family members), got injured to rest of my life and all this in two years (raising my daughter totally alone at the same time), three things happened: some of my friends got even closer, some disappeared. The third one was, that I got close with people that were not that close before. And made totally new friends with similar experiences. Happy about that, but yes, it took very traumatic things to happen in a short period of time.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
40 of 137

@Bill H wrote:

More thanks for more advice. I've decided to take all of it, which will require 37 years. By then I'll be 107.

Bill - my Grand-Aunt is actually 107, so don't think this isn't possible! She would likely refer to you as that nice young man with interesting stories to tell. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS