🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Kicking off Mindfulness March with the Practi...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

Kicking off Mindfulness March with the Practice of Hygge

We’re kicking off Mindfulness March by sharing one of the many practices friends from around the world have shared with us about the power of embracing the simplest pleasures of life. Our featured suggestion comes from the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced hoo-ga), a philosophy centered around togetherness, relaxation, and comfort. Some even describe it as “coziness of the soul”. 

Interestingly, Denmark is among the top three happiest countries in the world, despite long, hard winters. How is this possible you say? The key to this happy living, even during times of isolation like most have experienced during stay-at-home orders, rests on a simple idea... enjoying what you have. Hygge is enjoying daily pleasures and creating an atmosphere that brings you joy. It’s like self-care if self-care was wrapped in a soft, fuzzy blanket, surrounded by dimly lit candles, while curled up in a plush chair, with soft background music playing against the faint crackle of a fire all while enjoying a warm mug of hot cocoa. Um, yes please!

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 10.29.45 AM.png

To me, hygge represents a feeling of warmth and calm. I am grateful for each moment I get to spend enjoying the small pleasures in life.  

Here’s just a few ways to experience // practice hygge:

• Create a cozy atmosphere (think soft blankets, candles) - The Danish even have a word for this, it’s “Kyggekrog,” or cozy nook. 
  • Enjoy comforting and pleasurable foods, within reason of course (hello cake!
  • Expressing gratitude (keep a journal, practice gratitude daily by mentioning the things you are thankful for, big and small)
  • Take time to do things that make you happy like reading or watching a movie or a calming craft like knitting (did we already mention baking cakes?)
  • Warm drinks (that’s right, warm drinks gets its very own mention)
  • Listening to your favorite music
  • Puzzles and board games 

How do you practice hygge, happy living, or mindfulness practices? We’d love to know what you do in your home or in your part of the world to create a joyful life for yourself and those around you.  And sharing photos is always welcome 🙂

Untitled
7 REPLIES 7
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

... wrapped in a soft, fuzzy blanket, surrounded by dimly lit candles, while curled up in a plush chair...

That's the definition of what my dog is up to 90% of the time. I think he's way better at practicing Hygge than I'll ever be:

PUPasan.jpg

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have always loved baking but now have started baking cookies, which makes me very happy.  Sadly, I've gained 20 lbs which is serious because I'm at the age where I'm shrinking so...

Mary,

I love to cook. Both the process of preparing food and the process of eating it are very comforting to me. But to be honest, I never got into baking for some reason. That's okay though, because my husband does all the baking Robot Happy 

I love eating dessert of course as well as seeing pictures of other people's beautiful baked goods (as clearly shown by all the bakers' accounts on Instagram that I follow.) So if you feel like sharing photos of cookies you baked, I'd really love to see them!

~ Valeria
Upwork

One of my long term Norvegian clients introduced me to the concept. Hygge is similar (but not the same) to the German "gemütlich". I've always wondered why there is no equivalent in English.

I love snuggling up with my pets in winter. Strangely the cats love me far more when it's cold outside...

My winter comfort food are thick soups and casseroles. I don't eat meat anymore (or very rarely) so have been experimenting with lots of vegetable and beans and lentils etc combinations. Made a really thick sweet potato and spring onion thai curry soup with coconut milk, lots of chili and red thai paste the other day. 

Valeria, I didn't say that my cookies were pretty.  Doesn't matter what they look like, my son and I scarf them up in a day. It's very sad.

My real specialty is cheesecake, especially a chocolate/ rum marble cheesecake and a banana pudding cheesecake. I also do a pretty good pumpkin cheesecake.  No pictures as I only make cheesecake for holidays.

I also make a killer Reine de Saba cake.  Killer.

Doggies do have the knack of it, don't they?
Luna comfy.jpg

Phyllis, they really do!

Also that's a great example of a dog bed fail Robot Very Happy 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths