🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Lego fans?
Page options
StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lego fans?

Any Lego fans? Lego became my addiction last year.  Finally got the roller coaster onto a MILS plate tonight so I can get it moved and free up some space to build.

28545924-A7C7-4E5D-8DF7-D2DC6513CA64.jpeg

10 REPLIES 10
moonraker
Community Member

I love lego. Used to have a load of technic lego is a kid.

I'd get some for myself now, but it's so expensive it's difficult to justify.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I could never justify it until my kids were born. Kids allow me to justify the most ridiculous of things and claim it's all for their benefit 😀

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Four or five years ago, I got to work at an official Lego show in Biloxi.  It was incredible!  Awesome bigger than life statues of superheroes.  Maybe a dozen different stations - duplos for the little kids, transformer-like stuff, mechanized stuff, etc.  But the very best was a huge mountain of random Legos in a pile.  Kids could climb and build and even throw them.  They allowed 2,000 people per session.  Two hour sessions, then everyone got kicked out and we had to take everything apart and put it back where it belonged.  The mountain of Legs got shoveled back into a mountain.  There was a large Christmas tree outline on the floor for people to fill in as they chose.  The Lego staff all had bicycles to get around.  And every night after closing, all the Legos were sanitized by the Lego staff for the next day.  I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I basically crawled home. (In all fairness, I was probably in my late 60's).  There was a shop, of course, with all the very expensive sets which the grandparents were buying like crazy. And the dads pretending to "help" their kids were really into it themselves.

It was so much fun!  I was blown away by the Lego staff - they were kind and efficient and really cool about explaining things, like how the giant sculptures were made.  I loved every minute of it - never had any problem kids except one home-school group who were awful but they eventually got put into check. Great experience that I will cherish, as I couldn't handle it today.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds amazing. I am totally one of those dads 😀 Hoping to visit Legoland w/ the kids in the future to show them some of the crazy big stuff that is possible (but now they opened peppa pig land next door, so that's likely all they would care about).

prestonhunter
Community Member

Stan, if you ever decide to get serious about your Lego projects, you can hire freelancers to help you here:

https://upwork.com

Do a search for "Lego engineer"

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 7.11.18 AM.png

I'm starting to realize Upwork is much like Google, if you can think of anything to write into the search box, you will always get results.

Interesting actual profile pictures.

re: "Interesting actual profile pictures."

It is not surprising if you are familar with the statistics. Although it may seem like a "stereotype," it is true that Lego people are over-represented among Lego engineers.

(At least in my imagination, which is where that entire Photoshopped Upwork search result screenshot came from.)

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I credit Lego for making me learn how to walk very softly and heel-to-toe in the dark when my kids were little to avoid serious foot trauma.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

rare-image-of-a-shark-stepping-on-a-lego-imágenes-52513129.png

Latest Articles
Learning Paths