🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Let's talk about cast iron
Page options
renata101
Community Member

Let's talk about cast iron

I've got a cast iron frying pan someone re-gifted to me and I'd like to re-gift it to a friend who will probably use it (it seems a little too large for my purposes). The problem is that it wasn't seasoned properly the first time. 

I found this video recently that shows you how to do this using the self-clean function on modern stoves. I know there are a number of cast iron fans on UW, so I thought I'd share it. 

Does anyone else have any new food or cooking discoveries? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Renata S wrote:

I know there are a number of cast iron fans on UW. 

You know **WHAT** ?

Why in the world would you give away a cast iron frying pan... I'd kill for a really good one... Well, maybe not literally kill, just maim ferociously.

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

Why in the world would you give away a cast iron frying pan... I'd kill for a really good one... Well, maybe not literally kill, just maim ferociously.

I must agree. A good iron skillet is a treasure for generations. 

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

My dad has his from his grandmother...I'm sitting patiently awaiting my inheritance. Ah, to fry bacon in that pan!

petra_r
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

My dad has his from his grandmother...I'm sitting patiently awaiting my inheritance. Ah, to fry bacon in that pan!

What will you pay me not to forward that little gem to your dad?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

What will you pay me not to forward that little gem to your dad?

Oh he knows...

Amanda L wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

Yeah, a well-seasoned cast-ion pan is truly a thing of beauty. 

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

I'm not having a Marie Kondo episode, I just don't use this one a lot (I have others) and I thought I'd give it to someone who needed one.

I'm not sure why the original owner didn't want it. It was fairly new and didn't look like it hadn't been properly seasoned. That might have been the issue. It's also huge. 

My reason for wanting to pass this one along to my friend is that she's consistently cooking for a larger family-sized crowd than I am (it's quite a big pan). Storage space in my kitchen is at a premium and I don't use this one as often since I have a smaller one.

I wasn't sure what to do with a pan that had been improperly seasoned the first time. The advice on the video seems to describe a fairly straightforward way to reseason one. 

I had a good time a few summers ago stripping and re-seasoning my entire collection. Some pieces are 50-100 years old and came down through my family, some I bought myself. They were in various states of un-useability. I used electrolysis: set up a tank in the carport and used a car battery recharger. It was fun to channel my inner 6th grade science geek. Some pieces still required scrubbing w/ steel brush and steel wool. But I got them all stripped and then re-seasoned and I love them dearly. 

Kudos all around. Nothing sizzles like a cast iron pan, but my fav is my heavy Dutch oven. Five alarm jambalaya, anyone?  

Anthony H wrote:

Kudos all around. Nothing sizzles like a cast iron pan, but my fav is my heavy Dutch oven. Five alarm jambalaya, anyone?  

When I was a kid we made peach cobbler in a Dutch oven at least once a year. It was the best dessert ever. 

My house is tiny but I have two of them. I keep them in the oven... that's how little space I have.

I did the thing where you use steel wool/SOS to strip them and then rebake them in the oven for like an hour and a half. But it's certainly not nonstick... I don't use it to fry eggs, for example.

mtngigi
Community Member

Renata S wrote:

I've got a cast iron frying pan someone re-gifted to me and I'd like to re-gift it to a friend who will probably use it (it seems a little too large for my purposes). The problem is that it wasn't seasoned properly the first time. 

I found this video recently that shows you how to do this using the self-clean function on modern stoves. I know there are a number of cast iron fans on UW, so I thought I'd share it. 

I have my mother's small cast iron skillet - it's at least 70-80 years old and still going strong. I also have a medium and an extra large, both used and given to me and cherished. The 8" and 10" never leave my stove top.

This is something I do when I think they need a "refresh" seasoning. I cook something requiring a shallow fry - pour in about 1-2" of a neutral oil, cut up some flour or corn tortillas, and make homemade chips ... or perhaps some  schnitzel, or Navajo fry bread, or chicken parmesan, or whatever. Once that's done, *pour off most of the oil, leaving a fillm (I save it to use for swiping on the pans after cooking). Set it over a burner on low heat for a bit and then wipe it out. That should work, depending on how bad the surface is to begin with.

*ETA: Let the oil sit in the pan for awhile before pouring off.

colettelewis
Community Member

Renata S wrote:

I am sure this must be on the Internet somewhere, but if you want to get rid of onion or garlic smells from your hands rub them against stainless steel. I found a lump of stainless steel "soap" and it really does work. I also use on the plastic lids of containers that have had onion in them.  

Nichola L wrote:

I am sure this must be on the Internet somewhere, but if you want to get rid of onion or garlic smells from your hands rub them against stainless steel. I found a lump of stainless steel "soap" and it really does work. I also use on the plastic lids of containers that have had onion in them.  I wish there was a stainless steel floor cleaner.....

I chopped three huge onions and tripped over Luca (Luca is another story... I do not own Luca. He just quietly lives in my kitchen) on my way to the pan.

Chopped onions EVERYWHERE.

My kitchen smells of chopped onions.

Luca was not harmed during (or subsequently to) the chopping of the onions (or the aftermath.)

I also tripped over bl**dy Luca while carrying my favourite bowl, which was full of pomegranate seeds a couple of months ago. My favourite bowl broke. Do you know how messy (and red!!!!) pomegranate seeds are?

Luca is a health hazard.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths