cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk about cast iron

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
1 of 15

I've got a cast iron frying pan someone re-gifted to me and I'd like to re-gift it to a friend who will probably use it (it seems a little too large for my purposes). The problem is that it wasn't seasoned properly the first time. 

I found this video recently that shows you how to do this using the self-clean function on modern stoves. I know there are a number of cast iron fans on UW, so I thought I'd share it. 

Does anyone else have any new food or cooking discoveries? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 15

Renata S wrote:

I know there are a number of cast iron fans on UW. 

You know **WHAT** ?

Why in the world would you give away a cast iron frying pan... I'd kill for a really good one... Well, maybe not literally kill, just maim ferociously.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 15

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

Why in the world would you give away a cast iron frying pan... I'd kill for a really good one... Well, maybe not literally kill, just maim ferociously.

I must agree. A good iron skillet is a treasure for generations. 

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
4 of 15

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

My dad has his from his grandmother...I'm sitting patiently awaiting my inheritance. Ah, to fry bacon in that pan!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 15

Amanda L wrote:

My dad has his from his grandmother...I'm sitting patiently awaiting my inheritance. Ah, to fry bacon in that pan!

What will you pay me not to forward that little gem to your dad?

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
6 of 15

Petra R wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

What will you pay me not to forward that little gem to your dad?

Oh he knows...

Community Guru
7 of 15

Amanda L wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

Yeah, a well-seasoned cast-ion pan is truly a thing of beauty. 

Community Guru
8 of 15

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

You know **WHAT** ?

I'm not having a Marie Kondo episode, I just don't use this one a lot (I have others) and I thought I'd give it to someone who needed one.

I'm not sure why the original owner didn't want it. It was fairly new and didn't look like it hadn't been properly seasoned. That might have been the issue. It's also huge. 

My reason for wanting to pass this one along to my friend is that she's consistently cooking for a larger family-sized crowd than I am (it's quite a big pan). Storage space in my kitchen is at a premium and I don't use this one as often since I have a smaller one.

I wasn't sure what to do with a pan that had been improperly seasoned the first time. The advice on the video seems to describe a fairly straightforward way to reseason one. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
9 of 15

I had a good time a few summers ago stripping and re-seasoning my entire collection. Some pieces are 50-100 years old and came down through my family, some I bought myself. They were in various states of un-useability. I used electrolysis: set up a tank in the carport and used a car battery recharger. It was fun to channel my inner 6th grade science geek. Some pieces still required scrubbing w/ steel brush and steel wool. But I got them all stripped and then re-seasoned and I love them dearly. 

Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
10 of 15

Kudos all around. Nothing sizzles like a cast iron pan, but my fav is my heavy Dutch oven. Five alarm jambalaya, anyone?  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS